Roon not identifying duplicate tracks

Some tracks are simply not recognized as compositions by Roon and it’s a bit of a mystery what is necessary to make a track a composition if it isn’t. Adding a composer does not do it, for instance. Most likely, Roon only sees a composition when this metadata comes from the metadata services. Sometimes, I added a local album and tracks were not recognized as compositions, but then that changed after I added a streaming version to the library as well. But it does not always help.

When a track is not recognized as a composition, it does not show up in the list of recordings of a composition, it does not display the counts and icons for other recordings in the album’s track list, and it does not have a Go To Composition entry in the menu.

IMHO this is a bug or missing feature - at the very least, I should be able to make any track a composition by adding a composer credit and merging it with other recordings to a composition.

@connor , this is a longstanding issue and it would really be great if it could be looked at, because Roon advertises that it is able to identify recordings of a composition, which was one of my reasons for using it - but it turned out that this is not universally true and in particular for smaller artists is a frequent problem. I need tags to mark such tracks for many of my artists (in the hope to sort it out if it is ever fixed in the future). Also see, for instance, these threads:

2 Likes