Complete Album Art - Sleeve Notes - Booklets

One of the most appealing reasons for initially signing up for Roon was the ability to get the full album experience, as from the LP days, which would include full Album Art, sleeve notes and any other information that came with LP’s.

While this has not happened at the moment, (this is not a criticism as the Roon Guys are doing a superb job providing, what is in my opinion, the best music software on the market), I’m hoping this will be included in the next build.

In the mean time, can anyone point me in the direction of a web site that can provide this experience. AllMusic, Discogs and Last fm I’ve found but they only really deal with Artists and Album reviews. What I’m looking for is the Album Art and any other Album information that would have been included with any purchase.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Tim

9 Likes

Can’t help but while we await all this you can make Roon look so cool adding artist pics.

This is The Rosellys and my Knees lol

Yes the new editing possibilities in 1.1 are very cool, I’ve updated quite a few of the Artists photos.

Nice knees by the way :wink:

I also look forward to this, especially on older jazz albums on which the liner notes were printed on the back cover. If some of the colorful inner sleeves from 70s and 80s LPs were also added, that would be extra awesome!

Can the guys at Roon indicate if this request is in the pipe line and if so when it will be released please.

Thanks,
Tim

@brian @danny @vova

@timlumley – yes it is, but no timeline.

Content like liner notes and back covers would need to be licensed from the content owners. As of this point in time, we are aware of no sources where we can acquire or purchase this data in bulk with a license that would allow us to distribute it to our users. We will continue to keep our eyes open for data sources that can provide this sort of experience.

We are planning to add support for displaying the sort of content you’re asking about in cases where you already have it alongside the files. Often digital download editions of content come with PDFs or high-resolution artwork scans. Managing this content is something that we would like to add to the system.

7 Likes

Thanks @danny for your swift response, really looking forward to this feature.

Keep up the good work, Roon is fantastic, absolutely love it!

Regards,
Tim

Thanks @brian for your response, this feature would just blow my mind, hope you can sort something in the near future.

Regards,
Tim

Yeah, I agree. It would be magical.

The old version of the WiMP iOS app (before Tidal) supported viewing “CD” booklets. For example, when viewing the Pearl Jam album Backspacer I could tap on the cover image and the entire word-for-word / image-for-image booklet would be viewable.

I suggest talking with Pål B. about how they did this. Unfortunately the feature is not in the Tidal app.

2 Likes

Another bump for this feature. I have hundreds if not thousands of pdf booklets in my collection. Being able to include them in Roon is essential. I’ve added them to albums in itunes in the past. It would be fantastic if Roon was smart enough to automatically add pdf’s to an album listing that are found in the same folder as the music files. Of course a manual override would also be needed.

Robert

1 Like

Obviously a big bump on this feature request from me - I have raised the issue a few times on other threads.

To answer the OPs question, this thread on another music site provides some ideas:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/album-art-cover-art-search-strategy-9327/

But unless you have the originals to scan or obtained some offical scans with your download, then the approach can be a bit piecemeal. That’s not to say that it’s not possible, far from it.

1 Like

Lack of good data source is what’s preventing this :frowning:

Could you at least add an option to display any PDF files found in the same folders as the tracks for an album so we can use Roon to see any additional data we have?

3 Likes

@philr – that is on the roadmap!

4 Likes

@danny glad to hear this is on the roadmap, definitely keen to have this feature.

Also glad to hear. Really hope this comes soon. As mentioned in another thread, Roon advertises itself as bringing back the glory of the LP gatefold sleeve with the associated pictures and information - but we are still waiting for this feature.

I would add that as well as PDF, roon would need to be able to read and display other formats also, such as .jpg. Most of my 5000+ albums have folder.jpg (front cover), rear.jpg (rear cover), cd.jpg (image of the CD or physical media) as well as jpg’s of the liner notes and booklets. Currently missing this aspect!

1 Like

Disappointed that there has not been any progress on this matter in Build 88.

This was promised in the notes I read about Roon back in June when I joined and one of the main reasons for committing to Roon.

Regards,
Tim

It would have been great if it had made it into this build, but I hadn’t been expecting it to. I hope it makes it into the next one though. It was one of my main reasons for committing too.

1 Like