Confused by what could be impacting my system

I think the communication here is admirable, however, I am confused by what could be impacting my system based on this.

I use a NUC 11 for the core and then use a 2 year old iPad and 3 year old Mac Mini as remotes to access the Roon serve.

I’d be surprised if the technology is out of date on these or is there other hardware I should be considering like router?

What operating system are you using on this to provide Roon Server?

It’s not the hardware that’s out of date it’s the software that runs on them that is, they are running old code which is no longer secure, likely less optimised and doesn’t follow the latest networking practices. If your on a current supported operating system with all the latest updates for either Linux, Mac or Windows then your ok. Most of these bespoke servers run scaled backed Linux distros that are based on older kernels or old windows versions all of which are long passed their shelf life security wise. Much like if you use a really old verision of Android or iOS you don’t get the latest security updates etc and apps don’t work.

1 Like

well the thing is the NUC and apple device remotes are both 3 years old or less with most recent software updates but i still experienced the connectivity issue. i’m guessing then it must be my broadband provider and/or the router they supply which has out of date software.

What is your NUC running on? iOS is not affected by this it’s just the server component.

It’s a NUC 11 with latest BIOS

The explanation from the ROON team would suggest such a newer and ROON recommended NUC model would not be the cause of the problem in question.

Yes but which software runs on it? ROCK? I suppose yes, based on older posts from you.

In this case, this whole topic is entirely irrelevant to you. As the first post explains in great detail, the issue in this topic affects 3rd-party Roon servers and outdated Linux installations that are „woefully out-of-date“.

For your issue, you should open your own thread in Support. @Roon_Moderators can you move all of this?

Can this be handled in a proper support thread?

Done, let’s see if @support can help.

2 Likes

I don’t need support. Roon is presently working perfectly on my system. The point of my comment was the ROON team explanation for the outtage last week doesn’t explain why my system was affected. I have now provided full details in a reply on the original thread as i think the issue is relevant to the broader community, not specific to my system.

That’s because the issue in the thread where you started posting did not affect your system at all. The issue discussed there, i.e., Information on Roon's March 6, 2024 Connectivity Incident (inability to connect to Roon services, Qobuz, Tidal, and KKBOX), affects outdated 3rd-party servers and very old Linux distributions. You are using ROCK, which is neither and is not affected by this.

This is not completely correct. i experienced the same issue Roon has attributed to outdated servers etc at the same day and time as the problem was experienced by others. i dont think it can be a coincidence and it suggests the explanation provided by the ROON team of what caused the problem is incomplete. i’m not intending to be critical; i’m trying to be helpful to point out that there may be more to the the problem than suggested.

Correlation is not causation

1 Like

the problem of connectivity on my setup happened at the same day and time as the other connectivity problem - not sure i understand why you seem to want to argue against it being more likely they are related than unrelated, but let’s not argue about it.

Given the current history with Roon updates I would air on the sceptical side and this is likely related. This seems to be a fundamental change so could affect more than is being initially seen.

Every release since November has had issues not that all have been experienced them but they have all been acknowledged as a some big that’s been introduced. If the steps to fix the issue that were posted in this thread sorted the problem for @number6mi then it looks to be an odd one given he’s running RoCK but points to this not being limited to out of date os. Unless his rock was on a very old build perhaps.

I doubt it. First of all there was no „at the same day and time as the other connectivity problem“ because the issue under discussion occurred precisely after a local update, not in the cloud, so it affected people at different times.

Or, from the new comment on the original thread,

But the update that triggered this issue was released on March 6, not last week.

And:

I can’t see anything saying that they did, or that he tried them, or when (as they were posted a day or two ago, not last week)

In any case, if it really was the same issue, then it is sufficiently odd to be investigated in its dedicated support thread, rather than the general announcement/information thread for the issue. (No other ROCK user reported this). So, no harm done, and Roon support can properly engage here.

Perhaps you’re right but we don’t know either way only what they tell us, which given recent history I am inclined to take with a pinch of salt. Also the poster hasn’t said either way how he sorted it so maybe he did follow the instructions or maybe it was another issue that just rectified itself. Perhaps he can enlighten us @number6mi

1 Like

I’ll recap. Roon is working perfectly for me now. i had connectivity problems on 28 Feb and saw a number of other users posted they had the same on the support community - see this link

Issue with 'identify album' feature showing empty results (ref#P6UT7Q)

I assume this is the issue Roon’s communication was addressing

The point i was raising is i have new (January) NUC 11 Rock install with updated BIOS so the Roon team’s explanation that it is due to outdated servers, etc does not seem to explain why my set up was impacted. My setup resumed working at the same time as others who reported the issue and i have not attempted any updates given the newness of my installation.

The only purpose of my communication on this has been to try to be helpful and make the Roon team aware there may be more to the problem than suggested since it would not be expected NUC with Rock had outdated servers, etc.

You are conflating two issues here. As @joel posted in that thread, there was a temporary outage of Roon’s servers. Nothing to do with the other issue of outdated operating systems used to host Roon Server.

2 Likes

Then your issue is nothing to do with this weeks update. At least we can put yours to rest. This was a known server side blip that was sorted pretty quickly as mentioned by Geoff above.

1 Like