Connecting to Denon DLNA not Airplay

I saw notes suggesting my whole hope of using Roon instead of Twonky or Embed won’t work… but

I want my output device to be wireless to my Denon without having to buy a new device. It has DLNA and can stream 24 bit fine but the software I keep trying is awful… I gather I am the wrong customer?

Here goes

If you need to report an issue, just flag @support when you post, making sure to:

Describe Your Setup
Tell us about your setup when reporting an issue. If you’re already running Roon (or trying to run Roon and having an issue), be sure to let us know: Latest one [Roon 1.5 (Build 363)

• what version of Roon you are running ( Settings > About; If you’re running Windows, please let us know whether you’re running 32bit or 64 bit )
  • What operating system you are running Mac OSX Mojave, latest
  • Basic information about the device you’re using ( MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc ). MBPro 2016
  • Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)

All stored on the Macbook Pro in Music folder

• Let us know your collection size ( approximate number of tracks ) 20,000 tracks

Roon does not do dlna . Buy a Cromecast dongle and plug into Denon via optical.

1 Like

Thanks, surprised it does bit perfect 24 bit!!

1 Like

So I have not had time to try my Chromecast yet (mainly because I cannot find my mini toslink adapter) so I just tried the Roon software today to see how I like it… And no matter what I do I cannot send the output to the Denon receiver which showed up automatically as a device. Keep choosing it. Tried quitting and restarting. Airplay works fine for Denon as device output on volume on Macbook Pro, or on iTUnes but not on Roon… Tried wit DSP on and off, Tried 24 bit and 16 bit… no dice… Ideas>?

Have you enabled the Denon in Settings for Airplay?

I enabled Roon in security / accessibility and that fixed the problem. Thanks. Ron

1 Like

OK - Hvae the Chromecast Audio and Toslink optical hooked up to my Denon. Getting dropouts on 24 bit audio right now. Using the 2G Wifi - Maybe I should try the 5G, but I have seen a lot of folks seem to have these dropouts when using Chromecast and a separate DAC. Thoughts @support ?

See this recent post…

Great, maybe this would have been good to know before I went and bought the chromecast and the cable at the suggestion here… Hate to whine, but I am…

I cannot seem to find a way to stream 24 to my system without problems, this is like my tenth try…

Strange. Now playing some 24 bit REM at 192 kHz (ALAC) which should be higher bitrates tha the 96/24 I was playing (Dylan) and it is NOT dropping out. Wonder if it is only 96 files having this issue…

Hey @support - Now I have the Chromecast Audio hooked up with Toslink to my Denon. And I changed to an ethernet to mini-usb hoping as some say on here that it stops the audio dropouts with 96 KHz material. I am still getting dropouts. Questions.

1. What MQA settings should I use? Decoder and Renderer on? Enable MQA Core Decoder? And if I do should that be channel map or downmix only. I am clueless which to do
  2. Should I use DSP? Will that help my sound, or dropouts? I assumed best would be just as little file manipulation and just send the bits to my DAC which is supposed to be rated for 192 kHz but since I am using ALAC I think it only does 96 kHz,…
  3. Can Roon let you search for just hi rez files? It is the main reason I want to use it, and I keep having to open each album and read the text to see if it is a 24 bit file…

Anyway … I keep buying new items before my free trial ends,… Really don’t want the dropouts, that is a deal breaker…

Thanks! Ron

In the setup menu choose no MQA support (this refers to the Denon). Then set the core decoder to enable. Roon will then perform the first MQA unfold. Downmix only because the CCA is a stereo device.

Use DSP to get past the CCA’s issue with 96k. Set PCM rate to maximum power of two. Roon will then ensure everything is upsampled to 176 for CD or 192 for 48k family recordings bypassing the 96k problem. That needs a CCA fix, it isn’t the fault of Roon.

Where are you searching for high res? If searching Tidal then looking at the Masters category offers you MQA only. When I search generally it says CD or DSD64 or MQA on the art so I have an idea what I am looking at. Either way with DSP enabled the way I describe, everything is upsampled, with core decoder enabled MQA files are treated correctly before that upsample. Give it a go, and if you want to extend your trial in order to make a decision just ask.

Hello @Ron_Ozer,

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you here, just to add on to @Henry_McLeod’s suggestions, you can display the format in the Roon browser by toggling this setting:

Alternatively, you can also use our Focus Feature for media already added to your library and filter 24-bit media that way (please note that focus will only work for media already in your library):

I hope this helps but do let me know if you have any other questions or issues after making the changes Henry suggested.

Thanks,
Noris

Henry how does the resample to max pcm work I thought the Chromecast is limited to 96khz?

You are right Simon, I just checked and it does seem to top out at 96k for FLAC. And if it’s digital output is via optical that makes sense. But I am sure I read somewhere of it taking a 192k stream. In that case set it to 88k and see how it behaves.

It must down sample in the hardware then as opposed has said he gave it 192 source so perhaps the downsample is sorting out the cracking?

Chromecast Audio optical output does not have a 96 kHz problem. It has a >16 bit and/or >44.1 kHz problem. Just resampling around 96 kHz will not avoid the dropout issue.

AJ

Thanks for all the suggestions. So now I really thought the ethernet thing would do away with the dropouts, or the DSP, or something, but listening to 24 bit 96 PJ Harvey White Chalk now and it is still dropping out. I did figure out the Focus as a way to list only 24 bit.

I guess my investment in Chrome Audio is for naught if it means dropouts, Not sure what I need to do, I do love Room software, but I hate dropouts,.

Hello @Ron_Ozer,

Can you please provide a full overview of your network topology? Please list the router model/manufacturer and the model/manufacturer for any switches/range extenders/powerline adapters you may have.

Thanks,
Noris

I have a Verizon WMFLW router has 2G and 5G, I am using 2G for now from my server to the network. The Chromecast is now hooked up to a UGreen mini-usb to ethernet adapter and that ethernet is plugged into an Ethernet 10/100/1000 8 port switch.GS608 by Netgear. The switch is then plugged into the Verizon Router / Access Point. No powerline adapters. I am using the USB port on the router to power the Chromecast audio via the Ugreen adapter. Thanks - Ron