Constantly running into ""There was an issue loading your database"

Roon Core Machine

Used Roonserver (on ubuntu 22.xx) now using ROCK on a NUC i7 32GB mem 500 GB M.2 SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Synology NAS connected via LAN cable
NUC also connected via cable

Connected Audio Devices

MACbook Pro M1 System Output

Number of Tracks in Library

approx 160,000

Description of Issue

I’ve upgraded both roonserver and Roon on MAC to the latest version several days ago. After the reboot of both I got the error “There was an issue loading your database”.
Followed the instructions to fix it but ended up with the same error. Tried it several time but no change.
Then installed ROCK hoping the issue might disappear. But after installing the backup same error appeared.

Hello @Andreas_Heinze and welcome to the Roon forum.

These instructions?

Have you done that?

Because of “Used Roonserver” in particular, a hardware issue seems to be a plausible reason to me.

Hello BlackJack,
thanks for your answer.

1. Yes, I’ve followed the instructions from the Help Center and in the past it solved the problem. Now (after the lastest update) every time I restore the backup roon does NOT connect to the server automatically (needs to be terminated and restarted). Then the Database is being updated due to the new version of roon and then I’m running in the same issue.
    What can be done to fix this issue and get roon back to normal?

2. I’m happy to run hardware tests. Can you advice how?

Thanks

Andreas

For RAM I would use Memtest86+ and for your SSD Samsung offers it’s
Magician software for Windows.

That is all I can come up with, maybe other forum users (or Google) have more tips for you.

UPDATE: Just realized that you didn’t write what the manufacturer of your SSD is (I may have confused something with another thread), sorry about that. If your SSD is not from Samsung then their tool is not for you.

Your assumption was right. It is a Samsung drive. But I think we can remove the ssd from the suspect list.
Ubuntu based roonserver was installed on one SSD. ROCK on another.
Roon on my Macbook is the only thing in common.

Hey @Andreas_Heinze,

First off, welcome to the community! I’m so sorry for the delay in getting to your thread and issue. I’ve set your thread to watch to ensure nothing slips through the cracks moving forward.

We were able to review your core diagnostics and unfortunately found corruption within your current database. Outside of starting with a fresh database, another option would be to restore an older backup that predates your issues and this database corruption.

Do you have any older backups you may be able to test?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi Benjamin,

thanks for taking care of my issue.

I’ve tried restoring several backups but nothing helped solving the problem. Looks like the issue is older than the oldest backup I have. So I started from scratch with a new database and let Roon reload the music collection. At first that worked fine but now I’m running into the problem that once a week I get the message “something is wrong with the database” and have to restore the latest backup. After this procedure everything seems to be ok until next time the database problem shows up again.
Is there a protocol available to see when and why this issue occurs? To me it looks like Roon on my MacBook corrupts the database but I don’t know when and why.

Hey @Andreas_Heinze,

Thanks for the update, and I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced corruption on a fresh database! This typically points to either a hardware malfunction, or something within your local library that is causing this issue.

I was able to pull your core diagnostics, and see 140+ corrupt file traces across multiple diagnostic reports. It looks like the bulk of the files are from the path:

/roon/sys/storage/smbmounts/RoonStorage_fe90d28b1a352a9d029fd6a2fe914fc9ca16499c/Musik/Music

My next suggestion would be to consolidate all corrupted files into the same folder, and test out re-transcoding them back to their native format.

While Roon can’t do this, you can use a third-party app like dBpoweramp to check the integrity of your files. Here is more information on this:

Once you’ve isolated the corrupt files, you’ll want to reformat them and perform another test scan for any remaining corruption.

Let me know if this helps! :+1:

Hi Ben,

I took a look at my files and roon only shows 2 as corrupt (filtered it down in the album and title view). How did you get the list of 140+ files? Can you either tell me how to compile this list myself or provide one so I can fix the issues?

Thanks

Andreas

For the Backups you have, that were taken after this issue may have occurred, did you get any messages that the Backup failed?

@benjamin - If there were Backups before the corruption and no Backup error messages were given after the corruption, then Roon Backup is still backing up corrupted databases thereby causing any good Backups to be replaced.

@xxx - Thanks for your feedback and no I didn’t get any error messages during the backup process. At least no obvious ones. Maybe there is a log file I can check for errors.

@benjamin - I’ve started checking the mp3 file with a tool called MP3 Scan+Repair. I already found several hundreds of files with an issue and fixed them. The list you found would be helpful, so I can focus on these files first before scanning the entire library.

So, Roon Backup can’t recognize a corrupted database, but Roon Core startup can?

That would seem to be a problem with Roon Backup. Do you agree, @benjamin?

Hey @Andreas_Heinze,

I don’t have a list to share, unfortunately. How has the process been so far?

Roon detects database corruption “on the fly”. So if corruption is detected during a backup or during normal use of Roon, you’ll be immediately prompted to restore from a backup.

Great. That’s my point. Since no Backups were good, then (in this case of this corruption) Roon Backup is not detecting corruption and the corrupted backups are overlaying good backups.

Whatever Core coding logic detected this particular corruption at startup should be incorporated into the Backup logic.

@xxx in this particular case -

There is an issue either within the media itself, within the device Roon is installed on, or a situation where RAM or the PC is failing, or even that the database refresh wasn’t refreshed properly. The “something is wrong with the database” message is Roon detecting corruption. It does seem that this edge case issue has bypassed Roons guard allowing for a corrupted backup, so you’re in the right direction with that.

@Andreas_Heinze I’ll be on standby for your status update, and if you’re able to load a fresh database with your corrected files. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Ben,

in the meantime I started Roon from scratch again and backed up the data right after all files were in the database. Next day I searched for an artist and got the error again. Didn’t do anything else in the meantime.

Could you please let me know the files you’ve detected as defect or let me know how I can find them myself? The files I have found are RIFF Files and can be played without any issues with both Apples Music and Roon. And Roon doesn’t show any defect files at the inspector.

Yeah, my antennas are always out for Backup problems similar to my original complaint of 3 years ago.

Problems like this, and other mysteries, would be clearer if the error messages were more forthcoming, but whatever. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Andreas_Heinze,

You can access your core logs to review any corrupted files manually:

That said, if you again hit corruption on a fresh database then it may be worth doing a fresh OS install via the webUI. Here is more info on that:

If that doesn’t help, a fresh ROCK install altogether would be the best next step. Assuming your BIOs are already updated and configured properly, you can start from step #3 :

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

I just want to note that this is very similar to this issue I have been having:

This issue closed after 45 days but not because it was solved. I ended up splurging on an upgrade to my equipment (got a SonicTransporter CDR) and for a while that worked. After some hiccups it was backing up successfully and reporting for duty alive every morning. Then I went on vacation for 2 weeks. Now I am back where I started. Whenever the system attempts an automatic backup, that next morning I either need to restore from backup or restart the Roon Server. I was going to go back to a new library (although i am sad to lose my playlists, is there a way to export them so they can be imported into a fresh database?) but then I saw this post. Please note that we are not the first to have this problem, and there are other reports buried in the Support list.
I have found in my current situation that I can manually backup the library successfully after cleaning up deleted files and after not much tine after restoration. I noticed that the manual backup creates a subdirectory called Roonbackups and puts the backup there whereas the automatic backups puts the backup directly into the specified directory. There must be other differences as well since the manual backup works while the automatic backup leaves the system claiming that my database is corrupt.

I have 2 other observations. First, the people having this problem, like me, are running a Linux system networked to a NAS on which the media resides. This does not appear to be happening on MacOS or on locally stored media. Second, there is a lot of churn going on in my system. It seems that every scan finds new files and deletes others, even though I have not made any changes to my media in many months. What should be happening is it should be seeing that nothing has changed. Instead I have hundreds or thousands of “deleted” and found files every scan. All of these files are playable as far as I can see. Guys, this is some kind of edge case software issue.

Hi Alan,
thanks for your input. It’s good to hear that someone else has the same problem.

I fully agree that this is a problem on how Roon deals with corrupt files. I’m surprised that this is an issue. I would expect that Roon ignores these files or at least flag them as corrupt. I always add new music at Apple Music first and let Roon scan the directory where the new files are located. Never had a problem with Apple Music with these files. And the issues with Roon only started a few month ago although I’m using Roon for more than a year.
I have stopped checking my files for inconsistencies as there are way to many files to be scanned and fixed in an appropriate timeframe. I’ll go back to Apple Music although this is a much worse application but it works.
Maybe someone at Roon can let me know when they have located and fixed the problem causing the database problem. Then I’m more than happy to give Roon a try again.