Continue Dropout

@support
I continue having constantly a dropout of the track. Only with Roon with Tidal direct all is working fine.
My configuration is: Roon Core installed in an earlier MacMini, wired ethernet connection (fiber > 60MBs download) USB Cable to DAC. When this issue occurs if I try to see the Audio settings in the Mac OS X, the interface is slow down, quite freezed, and after a while appear the Audio settings, but all audio are disappeared, both Internal Audio and XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Output Driver … it seems some issue with the DAC usage of ROON

Mac details:

Mac mini (Late 2014)
Processor 2,8 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Versione 10.12.6

It’s the same thing here!
It started today when I’m playing music playlists from TIDAL!

I’ve dropout both with ripped file and with TIDAL, Now I’m trying to deactivate Exclusive Mode in the DAC setting … just to investigate …

nothing, also disabling Exclusive Mode, Dropout happened always :frowning:

Hi @Fabio.73 ----- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is always appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior may I kindly ask you for the following:

1. Please verify the make and model DAC you are using.

2. Please confirm were your musical collection is being stored/accessed from.

3. If you were to bypass the mentioned DAC and play directly out of the system out via the head phone jack, do you still receive dropouts?

4. Is your core machine using WiFi or a hardwired connection, to communicate with your network?

5. Since noticing this behavior have you tried reinstalling the mentioned XMOS driver?

6. Apologies for the confusion on my part. Could you please clarify this statement for me?

“When this issue occurs if I try to see the Audio settings in the Mac OS X, the interface is slow down, quite freezed, and after a while appear the Audio settings, but all audio are disappeared, both Internal Audio and XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Output Driver”

-Eric

Hi @Anders_Strengberg ---- Thank you for chiming in and sharing your experience with us, appreciated!

Moving forward, could you please provide me with…

1. The details of your current setup as seen here.

2. Are you only making this observation when streaming TIDAL content OR are you noticing it with locally stored content as well?

3. Please confirm were your musical collection is being stored/accessed from.

4. Is your core machine using WiFi or a hardwired connection, to communicate with your network?

-Eric

My Computer (where Roon “Core + Output” is installed):
Mac mini (Late 2014)
Processor 2,8 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Versione 10.12.6
Internet connection: Wired ethernet cable

1. Ladder DAC with #16 Chip capable to treat file up to 16 bit and 96hz
    USB Interface: Jlsound I2SoverUSB
    For Mac and Linux it is not needed to manually install driver

2. Stored on the same Mac mini. 6GB stored files, tracks #160

3. I’ve to try to bypass DAC

4. Internet connection: Wired ethernet cable

5. DAC USB Interface: Jlsound I2SoverUSB > For Mac and Linux it is not needed to manually install driver

6. in MacOS disappear all output device (both internal and XMOS) from the relative “Audio” settings configuration, it seems that something interact with OS X and create some issue. With TIDAL this problem never occurs

I’ve noticed this inconvenient both with TIDAL streaming and Internal file

I’ve noticed that, from the last Roon Build, starting Control is needed much more time to find the relative Core in MacMini, than in previous Roon Build

Hello @Fabio.73,

Can you please describe your network topology in details. Based on the explanation of the issue it does sounds like a network problem .

Regards,
Vova

my network is:
Modem/Router TIM with Fiber-Optic connection, up to 60 MBs in download, from this Modem/Router, there is a wired connection directly to the MacMini, where is installed ROON, With TIDAL App, installed in the MacMini, never occur such a problem, how could it be a Network problemi if it affect only Roon Software and no other application suffers about it?

9 posts were split to a new topic: Dropout Troubleshooting

Hi @Fabio.73 ---- Thank you for touching base and providing the requested feedback :thumbsup:

Moving forward, I wanted to check in and see if you had a chance to give the test mentioned in my post a try?

1. If you were to bypass the mentioned DAC and play directly out of the system out via the head phone jack, do you still receive dropouts?

-Eric

It’s about one hour that Roon is playing without dropout, using as output channel the internal device output, so I’km listening with the headphone, and all seems ok. So, it seems to be an issue between ROON and mu DAC :frowning: … I repeat with TIDAL no dropout …

Hi @Fabio.73 ---- Thank you for sharing the results of the requested test, the feedback is appreciated.

When you are streaming to your DAC and notice these dropouts in audio, do you find that they are occurring during a specific sample rate OR does this seem like more of a general behavior?

-Eric

I upsample all the track (tidal and CD ripped) to 96Hz using ROON upsempling new functionality

Hi @Fabio.73 ---- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me, very appreciated!

If you turn off the DSP engine and do not upsample, how does the DAC respond?

-Eric

@Eric
the problem begins while I was used to use HQ Player as Upsampler Engine, so my initial configuration was ROON without DSP to HQ Player. While this problem begun, I suspected to a HQ Player Issue, so I disabled it and turn on the DSP of ROON, hoping to solve the problem. But nothing, with or without HQ Player, and wit or without ROON DSP engine enabled or disabled, the issue persists.

Kind regards,
Fabio

Hi @Fabio.73 ---- Thank you for providing that insight, very appreciated!

I am curious, when you are using TIDAL do you have set to use “exclusive” mode in the application?

-Eric

I’ve tryed both, but if I remember right, without no change

Hi @Fabio.73 ----- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to kindly ask you to please perform the following:

• Very Important - Please reproduce the reported behavior and note the time when the observation is made.

• Once the issue has been replicated and the time noted please provide…

• A set of Roon AND RAATServer logs from the device hosting your core using the instructions found here.

• A screenshot of the signal path leaving Roon when the issue occurs.

-Eric

Hi @Eric I’ve shared with community@roonlabs.com my DropBox folder named: “RoonLogs” the log is the Last named RAATServer_log.txt the problem happened at about 10.00, the issue comes always when passing from ripped track to tidal track using the Radio features. the only way I’ve to recover the situation is to restart RoonServer anche the MacMini … very boring
Best Regards,
Fabio