Criticism on direction of Roon

Im running Roon on my NAS and the CPU doesnt go above 30%. Admittedly I’m not doing a lot of DSP stuff except adjusting channel delays and volume if I’m sitting off center from my speakers. But theres plenty of CPU left.

RAM is another story, however. Had to upgrade NAS RAM to handle it. And I suspect Roon has a memory leak, since RAM keeps increasing until I restart the app - drops back down then

1 Like

I am very new to Roon, a member of my men’s group gave us a presentation on Roon and why he uses it. I heard his system and felt that I was in a concert hall. Although I have a much more modest set-up, Magnepan Mini desk-top with Cambridge Audio Dac and PSAudio Stellar Amps, I feel that Roon has been evaluable addition. I have an iMacPro as a source and have had to use Qobuz for the music that is not on my hard drive. I would like to be able to use Apple Music and Sirius radio but this is not an option. Do the people who decide on the direction of Roon actually read and listen to these comments or is this just a means of letting people express their feelings? Paul Hart

1 Like

Well, I finally got fed up with Roon’s random stopping, and filed a support request.

Hi @Paul_Hart , welcome to Roon

Roon’s interface depends heavily on metadata downloaded from the Streaming Service , along with other 3rd party metadata suppliers. This requires a certain access to the service databases , Tidal and Qobuz allow this . None of the others (Apple , Amazon, Spotify etc) do.

Its been discussed lots of times , until Roon get the appropriate access they cannot get a seamless integration as per Tidal so they will not / can not do it

Search the forum for Apple Music you ill find the tech explanations

Of course Anthony, I can do that but this is a “flat view” of my albums and this is not what is usefull to me. I mainly deal with Jazz and Classis Music. My classification on my NAS is Genre\Composer\Album\Tracks.flac.
If you organize a focus, you can filter by artist, not by composer. You have to go through the Composer search instead of Album search. In that case, filtering on a specific Composer gives something more interesting that the Album entry. But this is again a lot of clics that would be avoided with a Forder view.

Focus allows you to do both:

1 Like

Hi there,
Just a few notices. Roon Nucleus is an Intel NUC machine in a fancy case. No more, no less. Mine has been working for years now without a glitch.
I use three different endpoints, and bandwidth usage between them and Roon Server is close to zero (if you stream 44.1/16, you transfer around 600 megabytes per hour. This is nothing for today’s standard (I got a 5-Gbit optical link at home). If you stream hi-res, the situation is the same. It is a fraction of total bandwidth.
The idea of rich content for MUSIC service is awful.
Currently, it supports Qobuz (which I like a lot) and Tidal (which sucks in every possible way, especially in the context of quality). Adding Sirius XM (and every possible obscure service) will make bloatware.
Btw, I cannot figure out how you concluded that Roon is becoming a hardware company?

Danijel

2 Likes

I agree with this post. Roon became much slower to load and less stable for me beginning with the move from v. 1.7 to 1.8 (with its many, many builds). With v. 1.7, Roon loaded fast, displayed the GUI quickly on both my music server and iPad, and music played with no interruptions. Not so with v. 1.8 - even with the numerous fixes they have implemented, this version is very sluggish to load and I’ve experienced listening when the music just stops on its own (mind you, not a loss of connectivity since I can press the start button and music resumes - weird.)

One thing that updates are improving is the search function, which has been an Achille’s heel for the app from the start.

So, all in all, Roon goofed up with whatever they did going from v. 1.7 to v. 1.8 and the fixes aren’t addressing the root of the problem…

Lon

You are right ! Thanks Geoff

Hi Kevin, I am running to on a Mac Mini (i7 16GB/500GB SSD (2011)) it is a headless dedicated machine for Plex and ROON. The Physical data reside on two Drobo RAID in total 48TB of storage. one connecties with Thunderbolt, and one with USB 3.0 and an account with Tidal HiFi former i had Quobuz. My server and Datastorage are in stored a closet in the hallway and ROON server is conneced using Fiber Optics to my CA851N streamer. For Remote ROON i use a Raspberry Pi4 with Softehter-VPN server. almost the Same config as you have except the RAID and VPN and the Mini is a Little bulky.

First for the speed of search:
Please check your database - most likely there is ‘clean up’ necessary. this has helped me especially when i started with ROON coming from Audirvana :slight_smile:
Check also your Audo Analyse and match accordingly with your Mac Mini for your info: My i7 has 4 Cores 8 kernels and 2 are ‘given’ to ROON and 2 for Plex.
And run the latest version of ROON!

Mac mini 2011 … running MacOS Monterey … it is possible and it works like a charm and Roon is fast (after (indeed) cleaning up the database with stalled files). I followed dortania Opencore-Legacy-Patcher … see screenshots. it is worth trying … and if you still have a HD change it to SSD this will speedup to!

Next but not least a thing i already runs from the start - Remotely connected to ROON - Here I simply use a Raspberry pi i started with 2 - 3 and now 4 … over about 4 years i am using Softether VPN server software a few of the Tinker have had my step by step documentation and as far as i got information back they all are happy with it. Using VPN Softether L2TP/IPSEC there are several mixed endpoints from carhifi, to iPhones , iPads, Sonos and even High End Niam Streamers connected to on single database from ROON. To me - just walking the dog in the Forest listening to top notch sound quality with ROON. and a search in my database over 4G and VPN takes average 3 seconds. Local, a search is done in a split second.

I hope i provided you some ‘food for Thoughts’, but please do it step by step check first the settings of your ROON especially the database. And yes during my journey with ROON i had have Same issues in the beginning - but reading the HELP functionality in RoonLabs took me to the listening level what i like :slight_smile:

here you see a 2011 Mini with Monterey

My VPN connection with Friends and Family each has their own Profile

My simple Mac Mini with bare Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1 for ROON and Plex

1 Like

Very helpful. The only thing I couldn’t find was “Audio Analyze” to match my systems speed. I cleared image cache, cleaned up DB, turned off auto analyze and it’s much snappier. Appreciate your help!!

4 Likes

Man. A ton of time on your hands. Just sit back and enjoy then music in whatever floats your boat

To me , Roon is perfect with the exception of not enough streaming services. I realize some don’t want to integrate but if just one more like Apple somehow got integrated it would be something else.

Yeah, I really wish someone would write a modern web front end for Logitech Media Server. It’s just an awesome system that really should not have gone wayward. I’m pretty confident you’d still be able to buy new old stock hardware for it too. I wrote a bit of preamble on it here a while back which might be fun to revisit.

2 Likes

The “material skin” for LMS is much better than the classic webGUI (and works on phones and tablets as well).

2 Likes

Yes Material Skin looks much better, but I don’t like that there is always playlist no album mode like in Roon for example when all tracks are from one album,
But generally it’s my second backup system now (I’m still not 100% convinced to very expensive Roon)

1 Like

hmmm, maybe I’m missing the point. But I can click on “Album Artist”, select an artist, then see a list of albums (or an alternative view with album covers), select the album I want, and in the right side “playlist” view, I see only all the album tracks, in track order. Or I can select ALBUM top level browse menu to see all albums, and then select an album, etc. This doesn’t seem any different from Roon to me, except in LMS the track listing is off to the right side rather than below, as in Roon.

example:

Yes you are right - but in such view it would look much better with album art at the top and simple list of tracks below - like album view in Tidal for example.
Repeating album art miniature for each track looks like ordinary playlist not as an album’s track list.
But yes - this interface works ok. But I’m not a fan such design :slight_smile:
I was using LMS for 2 months or so and I configured plugins and material. It’s very configurable and free. I regret I haven’t used it when squeezebox was popular. It was and still is great software.

1 Like

Yep. Interface Could be better. I’ve used Squeezeboxes and LMS or its predecessor for 16 or more years. So I’ve “grown up” with it in my path to digital, multi room music. And I have to say it just simply works with little or no intervention. My wife is a user and the system runs 24/7 on an rPi with a reboot every 6 months or so for an update, etc. it’s not Roon for metadata and artist connections, but otherwise it is the best multiroom system next to Roon, in my opinion of course.

Edit. She plays either local music, about 120k tracks, internet radio, or Spotify.

1 Like