Daily Mixes - Feedback on the selection and content

Needs work. The track selections are meh and uninteresting. It feels like side B tracks. In contrast, Spotify is spot on for me. It finds and recommends new music that I investigate and often add to my playlist.

1 Like

Spotify uses a mixture of human and algorithm curated playlists.

Roon is using algorithm created playlists although for a while there were regular threads to create roon listener recommendation based playlists.

I wonder if Spotify algorithm playlists are consistently better than roon algorithm playlists? I would expect that human created playlists will in general be at least as good as both types of algorithm based playlists and depending on curator expertise often better.

Today I got an Eric Clapton mix (again:). This is the selection. I am not making any judgements. Please form your own opinions of the variety, depth, narrowness etc.

All I can say is this mix doesn’t impress me much. And this is true for 99% of the mixes in the Classic Rock genre.

Bonnie Raitt - 3 Songs
Buddy Guy - 6 songs (3 albums) - seems way too many repeats for a single artist
Eric Clapton solo - 3 - all from the Unplugged album
Eric Clapton with others - 2
Jeff Beck - 2 - both from the same album (Who Else!)
Joe Cocker - 1
Santana - 3 - all from Supernatural
Stevie Ray Vaughan - 5 - seems way too many

The spotify article mentions User Playlists, that is the Spotify secret weapon. I check out my friends (or influencers) playlists all the time. Plus, from a data standpoint, a human as curated those songs together so the data for algos is much, much stronger.

Roon should implement Roon user to Roon user playlist sharing. Yes, someone might have Tidal and others Qobuz and others local. So share the songs that match and leave stubs for songs that don’t match.

The biggest resource Roon is not tapping into is the passion and curation of Roon users. THAT is what needs to feed Daily Mixes.

1 Like

Yes. Some of the most popular threads on the forum seem to be various “listening now” type threads in various genres. I must admit that the best recommendations I get are from those threads. Some kind of playlist swapping would be a great extension of that resource.

2 Likes

Spot the sore thumb…

1 Like

Brian I assume you are a Tidal customer?
If so that is a Tidal Tax, I got an email yesterday with all heavy metal recommendations on it and a Beyonce playlist as well.
I just assume everyone is getting these now :roll_eyes::see_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

Every father and grandfather knows that children don’t grow up in a day. Spotify tried it alone for many years and only bought Echo Nest, Niland and other researchers in this field in 2014. This led to the weekly mixes, Release Radar, Artist- and Songradio and much more. With soon 400,000,000 customers and these many researchers, the learning and data base is simply broader. Anyone can create any list on Spotify at any time and drag it to Qobuz or Tidal. That’s how everything is with Roon. Valence is still a tender child, but it grows with the tasks and the customer base. Those who want to observe the growth should not check daily or weekly, but annually for a new version.

Instead, we have real music connoisseurs and experts here who offer handpicked something and don’t behave like automatons :wink:

Thank you for this

5 Likes

Okay, so, as I had mentioned, last month seemed to be Pink Floyd month and I would get Floyd sometimes a day of two in a row. Well, we have that beat this month.

As you can see below, I have received a Steve Rothery Mix every day since the 15th with the only exception being the 16th. So, 5 days out of 6, I’ve gotten a daily mix based on him.

Hey Rooners,

I just wanted to reach out to you all to update you on the ‘play from here’ button issue that was reported in the Daily Mixes. This bug was addressed in our newest release and the buttons preceding tracks now function as expected. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, as always we appreciate your help.

Full details for Build 831 are available here:

6 Likes

@jamie can you add Play buttons on the Home page icons themselfs, so we can play a Daily Playlist without having to click into it. You could still enter into the playlist by clicking on the box, just a small play button overlay

Perhaps this article sheds light on Valence nature and future prospects :thinking: :wink:

3 Likes

A very informative article.

Now we know that the spread of music is no different than the spread of Corona. It requires a social connection.

Electronica seems to be the most infectious genre of all. Dance and metal had the lowest contagion rate. In our case, we make up for it with two music threads :wink:

The Roon forum takes care of the less contagious genres in the niche and the researchers conclude with the good news:

In the current situation of streaming and social media platforms, niches have a much better chance of spreading.

1 Like

Priceless:

“There are probably a lot of people in a population that may already be immune to a genre like electronica, because of their existing tastes,” said Rawson. “My nan, for example, is particularly resistant to the infection of trap and dubstep.”“

1 Like

About half a year has past since the introduction of the daily mixes. Unfortunately they have left me a bit disappointed. The main problem: They are just way too repetetive. I listen to hundreds of artists but it feels like Roon keeps coming up with daily mixes for the same 20 or so artists. I expected the daily mixes to introduce me to more new music from the realm of music that I like. I think there is more potential in the daily mixes.

5 Likes

Agree mixes are repetitive on artist and sometimes the content doesn’t make sense.

This Chris Thile Mix was 90% classical music which was not what I was expecting.

@danny Is this feature complete or do you have refinements in store? I think there are a fair number of people that like the feature concept but not the execution.

I have been tracking every daily mix presented to me and every track of every daily mix in a master database since September. The number of artists who are presented in daily mixes 2 days in a row (or more sometimes) is way more than I’d like (which is never). The number of artists which have daily mixes presented to me more than twice in a week’s time is also way to many.

1 Like

Hey @Rugby,

Thank you for the feedback and for collecting your daily mix data! I just sent you a PM, please take a look when you have a minute.

I’m torn between admiration and pity.

6 Likes

I’m finding the mixes themselves quite good, but it’s true I’ve had a repeat of about the same dozen artists as seeds since the feature was introduced. Would love some more surprises, in different genres, whether I listen to them or not.