Devialet AIR streaming released!

Hey mate - my personal experience with Devialet has been rather good - I attribute the service to people like Ming in your Paris office who was an excellent advocate for me during the upgrade process -contrary to the widely held view of Devialet’s not so attentive customer service - My experience
with Devialet has been very satisfying. I am very glad that you are taking an interest with the Roon community and I hope to see further integration between Devialet and Roon - like the Air integration - that is excellent example of how such an initiative driven by the Roon guys with assistance from your team can enhance the experience of Devialet listeners. I hope you stick around and we would love to see your contributions/ views about future initiatives.

Would love to. Think it will not work as it is meant to, as I don’t yet have the required computer to run Roon on. My laptop only has wifi. Bandwith will be a problem there. Or could I run it on my old pc running Windows 10? I am a real beginner with Roon and no computer wizzkid. Reading all I can in the community to see if I will manage.

Would be a shame when my setup will not sound right just because I don’t have the stuff to run it right.

Thank You Thank You Roon guys. It works like a charm with my D400. Now I can retire my Bryston BDP-1. One less piece of hardware :slight_smile:

As a Expert 200 user, (non-pro), I am also wondering should I upgrade to Pro for the OS Streamer Board (plus other slight hardware upgrades)?
Let’s say I don’t need multi-room/zone sync at all, is there any advantage for RAAT RoonReady Certify Streaming board vs existing Roon+AIR implementation?

It shows “Bit-Perfect Asynchronous” now, if RAAT protocol is used, would that be “more than perfect”? :sweat_smile:

No, but AIR is using UDP (User Datagram Protocol). Roon RAAT changed to using TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) recently. The ‘Control’ is important here as TCP can re-transmit packets that are lost while UDP doesn’t. In other words; TCP is more robust.
The 220 Pro is a better amplifier than the 200 (most users agree here and my 250Pro is clearly better than the old 250) so if the cost of upgrading does not scare you, go for it! No one can say anything about how the new Core Infinity board sounds. If/when it has RAAT on board it will sound as good or better than today’s AIR.

3 Likes

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
I will wait and see how the Infinity board is, it would be easier for me to send it in for upgrade in one shot. :thumbsup:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Not a first, but eventually got crackles in Devialet AIR integration

I have zero problems with AIR (Devialet and RoonAIR), very happy with the latest Roon update.

My setup:
Devialet Le 1000 PRO, Jamo R907 speakers, Audioquest NRG-10 powercords, Intel NUC7 i5 + sBooster powersupply, wired network with AQVOX lan swich, Roon ROCK + Roon AIR, Roon 1.3 LT.

Funny enough when I was using my Bryston BDP-1 as a Roon endpoint (RAAT) I was experiencing drop outs and skips to the next song now and then. Now that Roon streams directly to my D400 I haven’t seen that problem. I wonder whether this was due to Bryston’s RAAT implementation or some other problem.

I think a well configured home network is the key to a perfect working AIR environment.

3 Likes

RAAT was changed to TCP streaming in v234. To quote Mike from release notes on 234:"…we also know that both TCP and UDP, when implemented properly, are suitable for high-bandwidth, high-quality media streaming…". The complete text is here:

You are not guaranteed error free streaming with TCP either. Maybe if you tried the Bryston again now it would be more stable? In my own experience RoonAIR to my 250Pro is trouble free while Devialet’s AIR was unusable. So it is also possible with UDP!

Yes, but certainly in terms of Devialets AIR driver, not a guarantee. Their version of AIR was, frankly, not fit for purpose - at least not for everyone, including some with well configured networks.

But the key advantage of Roons implementation is there are human beings you can talk to about any issues, and Roon fix bugs quickly and efficiently.

4 Likes

I reverted to the Bryston just to verify and got the same skips. They normally would happen when the player is left for a long time paused. So far I don’t get them with RoonAir

You should contact Bryston about this… maybe their box is having some problems.

Does Devialet AIR integration with Roon, require leaving “exclusive mode” off?

I don’t see any mention of this above, but my local store thought so.

(If so, is this an issue for sound quality?)

It’s not talking to a local audio device. There is no exclusive mode in this case.

1 Like

Ok … the option is there, with an annotation that the output is using Core Audio (on a Mac). But maybe that’s incorrect?

If you’re going via core audio, you’re not using the Roon Native AIR. Your D will be in the networked section in audio setup - with the Devialet branding - that’s the one you want.

Like this:

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Next time I’m in the store, we’ll take a look at that together. I don’t think they had it setup right.