DietPi + Allo Web GUI: Now available

I agree, the relevant ALSA stuff is brought in by RoonBridge, but its 6.8 bugs are too…

Its called ALSA Linux audio system, but I think its actually just the ALSA tools that you can uninstall. For me, Roon Bridge works excellent with the ALSA stuff uninstalled

That’s what I thought given your earlier postings, and indeed I was able to uninstall ALSA and RoonBridge kept working, but once I went to a clean DietPi install with only RoonBridge, it looks like ALSA is still needed. My suspicion is that something else (another audio package?) in your configuration is holding on to ALSA core but not ALSA utils, while RoonBridge lets all of ALSA go, with the consequence that RoonBridge stops working. Dependency management in Linux is notoriously tricky, so I’m not really surprised.

1 Like

Hi All,

We have a another patch provided by Allo, which will be applied to v6.9 (ETA next week release). This should resolve the issues with mute/0% volume after reboot on USB-DAC’s.

You can apply this patch manually now, by copying and pasting the entire following code into a SSH terminal:

cat << _EOF_ > /var/lib/dietpi/postboot.d/sparky_unmute.sh
#!/bin/bash
for x in \`amixer controls | grep layback\`
do

amixer cset "\${x}" 100% &> /dev/null

done
alsactl store &> /dev/null
_EOF_

Hum… Not sure that fix is really robust. Here’s the actual command output (leaving out the redirect to /dev/null) when I run it on my USBridge, which is connected to a Singxer SU-1:

numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Singxer Clock Selector Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=2
  : values=on,on
Wrong control identifier: Clock
Wrong control identifier: Selector
Wrong control identifier: Playback
Wrong control identifier: Switch'
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Singxer Clock Selector Playback Switch',index=1
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on
Wrong control identifier: Switch',index=1
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Singxer Clock Selector Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=2,min=0,max=127,step=0
  : values=127,127
  | dBminmax-min=-127.00dB,max=0.00dB
Wrong control identifier: Volume'
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Singxer Clock Selector Playback Volume',index=1
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=1,min=0,max=127,step=0
  : values=127
  | dBminmax-min=-127.00dB,max=0.00dB
Wrong control identifier: Volume',index=1

Is there any drawbacks of having ALSA Audio uninstalled, when only used as a Roon Bridge? I run mine with only Dropbear SSH and Roon Bridge installed and it seems to work fine:

alsa-utils will be removed. This contains alsamixer and other features used by DietPi to configure soundcards etc. It may break features in dietpi-config > Audio options.

ALSA should still function, as long as any software installed still flags “libasound2” as a dependency.

1 Like

It seems to me that when using the USBridge as Roon Bridge it’s better to remove it, at least it fixed one issue for me without any apparent drawbacks.

Besides, any modifications to the digital audio should be done exclusively by Roon Bridge.

Using dietpi-software to install/uninstall Roon Bridge, alsa-utils is required. If I remove ALSA, Roon Bridge stops. If I remove Roon Bridge and reinstall it, alsa-utils is installed. How did you arrange to keep Roon Bridge working without ALSA?

I didn’t do anything except remove the ALSA audio, roon bridge was installed since before and continued to work.

Hum… I’m wondering if you have some other audio package besides Roon Bridge that holds on to libasound2 even when the rest of ALSA is removed. My tests suggests that Roon Bridge is not holding onto libasound2. As a work-around, I used the Debian ‘apt’ shell command directly to remove alsa-utils only:

apt remove alsa-utils

That worked, no more amixer trouble on reboot and Roon Bridge works perfectly. It would be great if Roon Bridge did not bring in all that unnecessary ALSA utility cruft.

Updated DietPi to 6.9 using Allo Web GUI, and USBridge has disappeared from Roon. I can see it is functioning at dietpi.local. @Dan_Knight or anyone else help please? Of course, it happens on a Saturday…

@Highfi have you tried to disable Roon Bridge via dietpi.local, hit save changes, reboot Dietpi. Then enable it again, and save changes?

Hopefully it then shows up again?

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried it but tried it a second time for good measure. Still no luck.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that :disappointed_relieved:

Are you brave enough to do a clean install of the Allo Web GUI?

The image is somewhere on this page:

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2317

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I’d rather wait for @Dan_Knight to chime in before taking the plunge with a clean install (to think I got a USBridge partly so as not to have to deal with a computer…)

1 Like

By the way, I find that I have to also physically unplug/plug after I click on Reboot on the Web GUI. Is that how it should be?

Definitely not. I upgraded to 6.9 as well, but haven’t had the issues with Roon not seeing my Digione after the fact. No doubt you’re experiencing something you shouldn’t be, but I don’t believe 6.9 is fully to blame.

Thanks for chiming in. I take it that ‘Definitely not’ refers to not having to physically unplug after clicking on Reboot on the Web GUI. This has been the case with me in all three latest DietPi versions (6.7–9). Also, I take it you’re referring to USBridge, not Digione.
I don’t know if 6.9 is to blame [for my USBridge disappearing from Roon] - it’s just the only thing that’s changed in my configuration.

Correct, talking about the physical unplugging and replugging. I’m on Digione, not USBridge, but don’t think that matters either as both use the same image.