"Discography Unavailable" error [resolved, networking/DNS issues]

This has nothing to do with 1.8 builds or versions. Something is going on with that setup with the Win10 NUC and the environment it’s on. Focusing on 1.8 is a red herring and will lead you down the wrong path.

I can say this confidently because areas that have not changed in 1.8 at all are behaving badly on your system, like the login and licensing system.

The error is happening after how long of seeing a spinner?

A possibly superfluous question:
Have you ever tried unplugging your Fritzbox, waiting a few minutes, and then plugging it back in?
I ask because I am also a Telekom customer and Fritzbox user. And after a call to the Telekom support I got this tip, which has actually helped me (every now and then). It’s apparently a bug in the Fritzbox firmware, which causes this
sluggish behaviour.

I am not focussing on the 1.8 - simply stating that it has been going well with 1.8 before - why not now- no idea, probably a combination of stuff wrong at the moment. 1.8 was actually faster than 1.7 on my system, until now. For whatever reason.

So here is a video - which shows what is happening - or better not happening:

Video with sound

You can see for yourself. It is a pretty horrible user experience.

Thanks, tried that a few times. Did not help.

can you explain what’s different about your rock/nuc setup?

How long does it take to search for an artist? (try a few searches not just one)
Choose an album and play it - how long does it take for the music to start and does it play ok?
Now skip through to the last song on that album and how long does it take to play?

The short answer: a lot.

In a different apartment, far away.
On a FRITZ!Box Router also Telekom DSL 100
Connected through powerlan.
Same music files, database a bit older.
I have had a lot of problems with the rock in the past. But now it works perfectly.

Now my win nuc is the problem.

To show you that I don’t only look for problems in 1.8. I uninstalled my entire homeautomation and the virtual switch. But it did not really make a difference.

On the video you could see how bad it is on my end. Now there is absolutely nothing spectacular happening with my Nuk. My network is very fast, Connecting to your website via browser is extremely fast.
So what do the logs say on your end?

Artist search - fast. No problem
First title in album - instantly
Last track in album - instantly

Overview and Discography are a problem, as can be seen on the video

Can you rule hardware problems out? Any chance to run a NUC and a SSD health check? Just in case …

You need to determine if the connection between your NUC and Roon is running slow and then why.

Can you try the following

On your windows NUC copy the following into powershell (one line at a time) and post the results:

(Measure-Command {Resolve-DnsName roonlabs.net -Server 1.1.1.1 -Type A})

(Measure-Command {wget -v roonlabs.net})

1 Like

seems pretty fast to me.

Ok that’s not terrible but it’s certainly not good (a good result should be less than 200mS)

Now do the following, in powershell type the following

ipconfig /flushdns

now try that first command again and post the results

It’s not. Something is wrong.

761ms DNS resolution? That number should be ~10ms

…and the 692ms wget with DNS cache already populated? That should be <100ms from Europe. Here in the US, I’m seeing ~10ms.

This is saying that to download ANYTHING from our google cloud network is costing almost 3/4 of a second. Multiple round trips will add up. You should be doing 10+ queries in that time period.

2roo

This is from a different PC in my network - just as bad it seems. This is different hardware and SSD.
So hardware defect on NUC is ruled out.

Ok you can use the up arrow to repeat the last command, can you run that command 3-4 times and see if the time decreases?

Also try doing the same thing for amazon.com or netflix.com

The number we want is the “TotalMilliseconds”

you can also try 8.8.8.8 instead of 1.1.1.1

I’m on a Mac and can’t find the bloody pipe key to findstr the total out :slight_smile:

Oops sorry meant run the first command (the resolve-dns one) 3-4 times

these results on my NUC are better now: