Discogs as metadata source

Is there a manual / help / youtube? I have downloaded the latest version but what to do next. I managed to figure out how to upload a folder. I then pressed discogs “preview” in the “online” tab. But nothing happens.

these are 2 good examples

the default manual is quite good, but has very outdated print screens

and here another one, this is more up to date, and the discogs flow is quite good explained:

I also made a manual once, but i can’t find it right now

please also note that you have to check manually for vinyl rips if you select the right release,
after you selected the right release, its just a question of putting he tracks in the correct order, and then all discogs data is transferred from discogs to the mp3 tags

1 Like

Thanks very much!

I very much support this suggestion.

I have a lot of electronic and obscure underground. Discogs recognizes 99% of my music. Roon recognizes about 60%. I would LOVE if discogs was a source!

2 Likes

the genre you used with allMusic are very bad

I think you need to give more reasoning and evidence before you expect Roon to change their entire ecosystem :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think they need to change all their ecosystem but just let the user choose to use the Discogs API to retrieve the genres and sub genres of the songs in your own database . Let’s face it, the genres from Discogs are much more precise, sophisticated for an audiophile and accurate than those from AllMusic

4 Likes

You can change the genres yourself already and assign new ones.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/genre-setting#:~:text=To%20edit%20a%20genre%2C%20or,Pencil%20on%20the%20genre%20page.

I can agree. I’m wondering if I don’t use more often Lastfm than Roon where I can find information only about mainstream and us-located artists…
And genre in Roon looks sometimes as assigned by algorithm unfortunately.
And tracks in Polish with strange characters - sth I’ve never seen in LastFM. For me both Allmusic and Dropbox are strange choice …

Why is it, that most originators in this category don’t vote for their own feature suggestion?
:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

With limited votes why vote for your own idea? You proposed it, hopefully you support it.

That is why I did not vote for my proposal.

3 Likes

Just a reminder that requesting Discogs as a metadata source has has been on the mind of the community for years. There are more votes for this option on the other thread. I suggest supporting that and considering the following additional genre upgrades:

and

2 Likes

I’ve changed my vote to the other post, where a post is mentioned where they say they are working on it.

Discogs as metadata source

3 Likes

Just to add: here’s a bit of background from the horse’s mouth:

1 Like

In my request, I never asked for Roon to completely change its ecosystem to Discogs, their database and data are fine as it is, …I just asked for the user to have the choice to automatically retrieve the genres from Discogs with the authentication of the tracks already in the Roon database !

2 Likes

This is a post from 2016 !! and nothing has happened in 6 years, that’s why I add a new one. Songkong has evolved a lot since then, It’s a slick and easy to use program that listens to your songs using Acoustid, and finds matches, even when they have no information. It also utilizes MusicBrainz & Discogs databases, ensuring more accurate results. it will be my plan B if Roon does not wake up

4 Likes

I agree the present situation is a poor experience for the user

1 Like

I would suggest rateyourmusic if it can be available as I think it has the best curation of genres and sub-genres of any website out there.

2 Likes

It is strange when even Eva Cassidy has such tags (I had to disable it…):

tags from LastFM:

2 Likes

Allmusic is horrible at tagging genre

3 Likes