Disconnects from NAS

Hello

I am asking on behalf of my friend…

Today he had some weird behavior - Roon found that NAS folder is disconnected. I then went in File Explorer and browsed manually to the audio folder, and right after that (it maybe 5-10 seconds) Roon succeeded to reconnect automatically

I see in the Logs that Roon is trying to connect to NAS folder with the credentials of Roon account (!!), which is definitely a bug. I did not see anywhere in the settings of Roon an option to specify user/pass for NAS connection.

Any time we saw the connectivity issue in Roon, we were able to playback from JRiver or browse NAS at the same time Roon had an issue.

[removed by support - personal information present]

When you add a network share in Settings->Storage->Add folder->Browse it will ask for a Username/Password. It seems like your friend didn’t satisfy that.

What happens if you want to add username/password to existing storage? Dunno, maybe one has to start from scratch in setting up the share to Roon?

I wouldn’t do this myself, but you can always add the Roon credentials to the NAS folder’s users. Read auth should be good enough.

1. NAS does not require any credentials
  2. Roon worked quite stable until the recent update, with the same settings
  3. I don’t want to provide any workarounds, it is a commerical app, and not a cheap one

Is there a way somebody from R&D will look into the app?

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us.

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior would kindly please provide the following information:

• The make and model of the NAS being implemented.

• A brief but accurate description of your friend’s setup using this link as a guide.

• Please describe how the NAS is communicating with the network/Roon.

• Please provide a screenshot highlighting how the NAS is being mounted within the application.

53 PM

• I would like to enable diagnostics on your friends account so our tech team can take a closer look into this behavior but I must have the e-mail address tied to your friend’s Roon account in order to do this. Please send this information in PM addressed to me.

-Eric

NOTE: I have removed the log traces from your initial post and have saved them in my notes as a reference. We try to keep any personal information confidential and being as there is an e-mail address listed in the traces I want to make sure your friend’s privacy is protected.

Thanks, Eric

It will take me some time to collect the detailed info on the network.

Regarding the storage settings - where can I see the user/pass/workgroup info?
And diagnostics mode, how do I activate it?

I can’t send a PM, getting an error…

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ---- Thank you for your patience. I must apologies as I added the wrong screenshot in my previous, it has since been updated.

A few things moving forward…

• The screenshot I am looking for is of the “storage” tab in the application. Again apologies for the misstep.

• You should be able to send me a PM now. Please let me know if you are unable to.

• Diagnostics are not enabled by the user, it is feature we enable on a users account. What this action does (after it has been set) is the next time the app is launched on the core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. What would be really helpful for our team is if your friend could reproduce the issue and let us know when it occurs so we have an exact time of when the problem was experienced. This will ultimately speed up our analysis of the attached logs.

-Eric

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ----- Thank you for touching base with me via PM. I wanted to respond here so we can keep all feedback/information in single spot. A few things moving forward…

• The screenshot you had provided in your PM is of the “add storage location” window. As mentioned in my previous would you kindly provide a screenshot of the “storage” tab in Roon.

• I would still like to enable diagnostics on your friend’s account so we can have a closer look into this issue but I still require the following information:

Previous post: “…I must have the e-mail address tied to your friend’s Roon account in order to do this. Please send this information in PM addressed to me.”

Previous post:"…What would be really helpful for our team is if your friend could reproduce the issue and let us know when it occurs so we have an exact time of when the problem was experienced. This will ultimately speed up our analysis of the attached logs."

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ----- Thank you for the most recent PM!

Now that I have your friend’s email I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on the account tied to that email address. As mentioned in my previous the next time the app is launched on the core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. I will confirm once the report has been received so you know we have it.

In the meantime there are still two pieces of information that I am currently waiting on (previous):

• A brief but accurate description of your friend’s setup using this link as a guide.
  • Please describe how the NAS is communicating with the network/Roon.

-Eric

Note: I have condensed your PMs into a single PM so we can keep all of your information in one place. If you need to send another private message, please, respond to “messages for Eric” as opposed to sending a new one.

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ---- Thank you for the PM with the details of your friend’s setup. Confirming that the mentioned diagnostics report has been received and I am currently preparing a ticket for our techs to review.

You had mentioned in your PM that this behavior has not been reproducible since reporting this issue to us. I am curious, when this issue did occur was there anything you can think of that was occurring at that time that could have had influence on this behavior? Any insight you can provide would be very appreciated!

-Eric

UPDATE: Please verify the model of Synology NAS being implemented.

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ----- Thank you for your patience here while our tech team has been looking into this issue your friend Eldar’s is experiencing with his network storage device.

Moving forward, I wanted to first check in with you to see if any progress or new observations have been made since your last PM. Secondly, as per the tech team’s request they would like to have you please run the following test (see below) and share what observations are made during the troubleshooting exercise.

• Before anything please create a backup of the current Roon DB.

• “Disable” and “remove” the network storage location in Roon:
    20 PM

• Please then re-add the storage location without having to use Eldar’s username + password.

-Eric

Eric

I did not ever use Roon’s account as storage credentials, why are you suggesting this?
That’s the bug that Roon messed up somehow

– Michael

Hi @Michael_Nemoy ---- Thank you for touching base with me and reiterating that you have not used Roon’s account information for the storage credentials.

As a reminder, adding NAS storage in Roon should be requiring the user to enter their username and password for the NAS and NOT their Roon credentials (i.e the one linked to the Roon account). This is also noted in our knowledge base instructions for setting up network storage in the application. Our techs have not found anything conclusive in the logs as to why this behavior would be occurring and being as we do not have “widespread” reports of this same behavior you have presented to us, the idea is to add the NAS following the instructions in our KB to see if this action will trigger a change in performance with your friend’s setup.

Looking forward to hearing the results of the proposed test!
-Eric

There were no credentials given for the NAS, Eldar’s installation does not require account for storage

I don’t understand the reasoning behind your test, but anyway doing it will make Roon unavailable for 24-hours as it takes forever to rebuild the library

There was some glitch in Roon.
For last couple of weeks Eldar did not report any kind of malfunction

Neither I did any change in the storage setup

Don’t assume I didn’t setup properly: Roon functioned before, and functions after. There was a period of couple of days where it did not work reliably.