DSD playback gives loud click between tracks

Thanks for the DSD playback possibility in the new release, yeah.

There is a loud click between tracks during normal playback.
If I click on the next or previous track button there is no click between tracks.

I’m playing the dsd files on a Teac ud-501 using DoP attached via usb to my macbook pro.

Hey @vpzee

None of the hardware we have here reproduces that issue :frowning:

We are putting out the DoP signal gapless–I wonder if your DAC just doesn’t like the discontinuities that happen when one track goes straight into the next, or if maybe this is a content-related issue like JRiver used to have. Either way, we should be able to get it sorted.

Are there settings you use in other software packages that you use to overcome the click? Or is this the first time you’ve encountered an issue like this?

It would be great to get a pair of files from you that exhibit the click when transitioning from one to the next. We can try them out on the DACs here and see if we can reproduce the issue. I’ll PM you with instructions for uploading a couple of files, if you’re up for it.

Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Hi @brian

I’ve never encountered this click before.
I have been using the Teac HR Audio Player software (Mac) for DSD playback until today.

Playing with the settings I discovered that even when Roon converts the signal to pcm for playback that the clicks occur between tracks.

If you still want me to upload some files let me know.
I have terrible upload speeds here so it could take a while.

I have played DSD64 and DSD128 files and all is well here on my end. Also playing some DSD to PCM on my Remote Roon. So far so good.

I noticed on the Remote machine that was doing DSD to PCM. When looking at the signal path, it has the source as DSD64, then RoonSpeakers. Wondering why you do not show the DSD-PCM and then the rate it is playing at?

Great work Roon Team!!!

everything post roonspeakers is not shown, because it is treated like airplay and meridian… however, we have a lot more power here, to show what happens after the roonspeakers. that’s coming in an upcoming build.

Spoke too soon…I am also getting the pops between songs. Had it occur between songs playing an album. Stopped the album, turned off cross fading, and still the noise.

Just played around with the cross fading setting. no clear setting, as I set to 5 and a couple songs played no noise, then the next two did.

If I have songs In The queue and I go to NEXT song (in middle of song) no noise. If I choose another song from a different album, no noise.

So it seems to be sequential songs in the Queue here that causes it for me.

Also if playing just a single song, get the noise (popping) at then end of the song.

UPDATE: DSD to PCM seems fine…so far

Moderator - Please merge this with other post about popping (I noticed after my posts)

No sticky with change log for release 15?

We’re looking into an issue with Build 15… Expect to see Build 16 coming to a Roon install near you soon :grin:

I have played DSD64 and DSD128 files and all is well here on my end. Also playing some DSD to PCM on my Remote Roon. So far so good.

I noticed on the Remote machine that was doing DSD to PCM. When looking at the signal path, it has the source as DSD64, then RoonSpeakers. Wondering why you do not show the DSD-PCM and then the rate it is playing at?

Great work Roon Team!!!

Thanks @dshore!! – what DAC are you using?

@mike

Wadia Di122

In the interests of additional data…I’m only getting very faint pops when tracks naturally begin (ie, not when skipping tracks manually). Tested with both DSD bitstreaming and with Roon converting to PCM first - same faint pops.

For me, the faint pops take place 1 second into the new track. There’s silence for 1 second, then faint pop, then music plays. Interestingly, I notice that when skipping tracks manually, the track doesn’t play that initial 1 second silence…it hops straight through it to 00:02 and the music starts playing almost instantly (without the pop).

Note, the pops I’m hearing are a total non-issue as they’re so faint, but I suspect my DAC (DiDiT DAC212) is probably smoothing things out as it’s good like that.

[quote=“mike, post:10, topic:1620, full:true”]
Thanks @dshore!! – what DAC are you using?[/quote]

@mike will there be an interim release for the DSD noise issue or will it wait until the next official release?

Hey @dshore – we’re still investigating this, but I’d actually like to get some additional info from you. I’m going to send you a PM now, ok?

Thanks!

I’m getting clicks/pops between DSD tracks too

Core - NUC running Win 8.1 Pro
Remote - Macbook Air connected to DAC - IFI Micro DSD

Running build 16 on both

Forgot to add - using DoP - exlcusive and integer mode

We think we have a fix for this issue, and it’s being tested right now. Hopefully it’s stable and will be released this coming week.

This should be fixed in build 21. Please test and let us know how it goes.

[quote=“brian, post:17, topic:1620, full:true”]
This should be fixed in build 21. Please test and let us know how it goes.[/quote]
@brian I have installed Release 21 on both Core and Remote.

Remote: Having issues with the MAX DSD Rate remaining after a reboot. After reboot all DSD is then down-sampled to 176.2k. This occurs using Wasapi (Wadia) or ASIO (JPlay) driver. Had the white screen also after reboot (only on Remote so far, not Core). I just kill Roon in Task Mgr, and restart Roon and Roon then starts correctly. But over and over, the Max Rate always changed to “-” in the display from what ever setting I had before (64, 128).

Remote: When trying to change the MAX DSD rate, Roon would display “Enabling…” and just sit there, usually causing Roon to be unresponsive. Could not close with “X”, had to use Task Mgr to kill. Restart Roon, it loads up, but no Max Setting again.

Remote: I never saw a choice for Direct when using ASIO driver, but I did see the Direct choice on the Core when hooked up to DAC.

Core: Moved the Core so DAC was connected. Did not have the issue of losing MAX DSD Sample Rate with this setup/configuration. Tried both Wasapi and ASIO and the MAX setting remained after reboot. Also never experienced the “Enabling…” then having to kill Roon on the Core (yet) when hooked up to DAC.

Clicks and Pops:

Remote: Did not get a chance to see what Remote was doing with clicks due to the MAX DAD rate issue.

Core: With Core hooked up to DAC I only heard a POP at the end of the last track, but that was on a “ripped” SACD and not a downloaded album. On downloaded albums, the click/pop is not there…so far. But if I change my cross-fade to 5 sec, then (so far) all DSD albums, ripped or purchased, play fine.

Core: The VERY FIRST DSD song played after reboot starts with a POP, then the song plays. This occurs with both ripped and downloaded DSD files. If the first song played is FLAC the same thing occurs, a POP, then the music starts. This is using ASIO driver. I have not tried with Wasapi yet to see if same thing occurs.

I have also tried both DoP DSD and Native, but both exhibit the same issues.

NOTE: The ripper program some are using (sacd_extract) is known for small clicks at beginning and/or end of a song. I have heard the clicks in JR, but not as loud as I hear them in Roon.

Remote: Having issues with the MAX DSD Rate remaining after a reboot. After reboot all DSD is then down-sampled to 176.2k. This occurs using Wasapi (Wadia) or ASIO (JPlay) driver. Had the white screen also after reboot (only on Remote so far, not Core). I just kill Roon in Task Mgr, and restart Roon and Roon then starts correctly. But over and over, the Max Rate always changed to “-” in the display from what ever setting I had before (64, 128).
Remote: When trying to change the MAX DSD rate, Roon would display “Enabling…” and just sit there, usually causing Roon to be unresponsive. Could not close with “X”, had to use Task Mgr to kill. Restart Roon, it loads up, but no Max Setting again.

This sounds like all the same issue. Something is going wrong when we try to re-enable the output after changing the settings, and it’s freezing up before it gets to the point where the settings are saved.

I’m concerned that there may be some competition over the various drivers in your setup. Some drivers misbehave or fail to open if you try to access them exclusively in WASAPI and ASIO at the same time. Adding JPLAY to the mix might complicate things, too.

We obviously need to get this fixed. I have JPLAY and a bunch of hardware here. I will fool around and try to reproduce this, but if you have any idea how I might be able to get into the situation you’re in, step-by-step, please let me know.

Remote: I never saw a choice for Direct when using ASIO driver, but I did see the Direct choice on the Core when hooked up to DAC.

We caught this just slightly too late for it to make it into this week’s release. It’ll be fixed in the next one–it’s a missing option in the settings UI, not a deeper issue.

Clicks and Pops:

The VERY FIRST DSD song played after reboot starts with a POP, then the song plays. This occurs with both ripped and downloaded DSD files. If the first song played is FLAC the same thing occurs, a POP, then the music starts. This is using ASIO driver. I have not tried with Wasapi yet to see if same thing occurs.

Try using the “Resync Delay” setting at 500ms or 1000ms and see if this improves or not. Whatever you find will point us in a direction (My guess is that it will help with PCM but not with DSD). I am not getting this pop with the DACs I have here, but pops on rate/config change aren’t too uncommon on a device-by-device basis. It may be that JRiver pre-rolls more silence than we do in this situation and that helps hide the issue.

But over and over, the Max Rate always changed to “-” in the display from what ever setting I had before (64, 128).

This one was straightforward to reproduce. It will be fixed in the next build.

This one is still elusive.