Dutch & Dutch 8c: firmware v2.0

I see, a more “family friendly” volume control for TV then…

1 Like

Are you using the Hosa ODL-312 yourself? if so how are you finding it? and I assume you’re using it with a pair of 8c’s?

with optical you cant use the tv remote to control the tv volume as far as i know

1 Like

No, I am currently using a MiniDSP SHD Studio with Toslink in from the TV and AES/EBU in from the Lumin U1 Mini. Then AES/EBU to the 8C’s.

I have, however, just bought a par of small Genelec monitors for another room with AES/EBU input and I want to connect the TV in that room to the Genelecs. So my current plan is to use the MiniDSP for that. I therefore need another way to connect the TV (in the room with the 8C’s) to the 8C’s and the Hosa ODL-312 will work for that assuming that I only stream music via Roon.

Unfortunately I have an unsolved problem with that that setup. I use Tidal, and can use Roon, but my wife and daughter prefer to use Spotify (don’t ask me why), so I need the Lumin U1 Mini to be connected to the 8C’s. The problem is that while the Hosa can simultaneously do two conversions in both directions it cannot do two sources to one which I want. That is I want Optical (TV) and AES/EBU (Lumin) in to a converter and AES/EBU out to the 8C’s.

I can of course buy a Mutec 1.1+ or something similar, but while digesting the Genelec investment I would prefer a less costly solution.

i picked up a xiaomi mii tv stick for €50 which will plug into the hdmi of your tv and allow your wife and kids to stream spotify without an expensive piece of kit in the middle - right now i just go from headphone socket of my tv direct to the 8cs and i can still play roon without any difficult switching or headaches for my family. still testing but so far it works really well.

@asiano I am just to get a demo set of 8C and wondering how you integrate for home cinema. Would you be willing to share your setup for that please?

Anybody know the difference between software versions 2.04 and 2.05?

1 Like

I don’t think that solves my problem. I want to keep the signal in the digital domain from the TV so I need a converter that can do two digital sources (Optical and AES/EBU) to AES/EBU.

When my 8C’s were new I did not have the MiniDSP SHD Studio, so I went through Benchmark DAC2 to analog input in the 8C’s. I can hear the difference removing the extra D/A - A/D in the signal chain and going digital all the way.

1 Like

I cheaper solution could be using a Yamaha WXC-50. That is what I use for TV (toslink to WXC-50) and Spotify Connect.
The WXC-50 is connected to the 8c by coax > Neutrik NADITBNC MX adapter BNC male - XLR male > AES.
I set the WXC-50 volume to fixed and control Roon’s volume with a Microsoft Dial (RooDial) for both streaming in Roon and AES input. In Ascend, I have enabled “Automatically disconnect streaming” to auto-switch between streaming in Roon and the AES input.

Interesting, how have you got RooDail to work?

See: rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

I use a Raspberry Pi zero w.

Thanks - Does roonserver automatically find the extension once loaded in the Pi ?
Can you please explain your hardware setup exactly, and how its all powered and connected?

Is the MusicCast function “family friendly”, i.e. easy to use (as in e.g. my Lumin U1 Mini)? We would need to use Apple AirPlay.

I don’t use the MusicCast functionality. The WXC-50 does have Apple Airplay (not Airplay 2).

Yes, Roon finds the extension automatically.

Components

• Pair of D&D 8c’s
  • Yamaha WXC-50
  • Sony Bravia TV (with Apple TV, Google Chromecast and PS4 connected true hdmi)
  • Raspberry Pi zero W with RooDial software
  • Microsoft Dial
  • Synology NAS with Roon core
  • Several Roon remotes (iPads, iPhones, Macs)
  • English Electric 8Switch
  • Kemp Powerstrip (with Furutech NCF Clear Line AC Optimizer) powered from a dedicated power line with Furutech FP-SWS Schuko Outlet and Siemens/Kemp fuse cartridge (with HiFi-Tuning Supreme fuses)

Power

• The D&D’s (Lapp Ölflex 110 CY 3G2,5 power cords), TV (standard power cord), WXC-50 (standard power cord) and switch are powered from the Kemp Powerstrip (with Lapp Ölflex 110 CY 3G2,5 power cord to Furutech FP-SWS).
  • The Raspberry is powered from another outlet (with Apple USB-AC adapter).

Connections

• The TV goes toslink out → toslink in to WXC-50
  • The D&D’s are connected to the switch (Belden CatSnake cat5) and to the WXC-50 (coax > Neutrik > AES)
  • The D&D’s are AES-connected to each other (with AES terminator on second D&D)
  • The WXC-50 is connected to the switch (Audioquest Carbon cat700)
  • The TV, Apple TV and PS4 are connected to the switch (standard cat6 cable)
  • The switch is connected to ethernet (Belden CatSnake cat5) with standard cat5 cables from outlet to router (via - second - 16 port switch since I have ethernet outlets in all rooms of my house)
  • The Raspberry Pi is wifi connected to the wireless network
  • The Microsoft Dial is bluetooth connected to the Raspberry Pi (through RooDial software)
  • The NAS is connected directly to the router (Audioquest Forest cat700)

Er… that’s about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thankyou, that gives me the confidence to try the RooDial/Pi :slight_smile:

2.0.6 rolling out now.

1 Like

Soon I will be the owner of D&D 8c speakers and need to upgrade to latest v2.0 firmware.

I use Roon allready, but have only one internet access point available in my living room.
What do I do, use a internet splitter or a switch linked to the access point?
In case of last mentioned, I will end up with a switch “behind” the main switch, wonder if an issue with Roon then?

I just use a normal switch and it works fine.

2 Likes

Firmware Release Notes.

Is there anywhere that lists what was changed in firmware 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6? (There may be others beyond these I’m not aware of after 2.0). The firmware section in the D&D web site doesn’t list anything for 2.x firmware at all. Not sure how there can be releases with out any release notes that can be seen.

Copying @Martijn_Mensink

1 Like