Dutch & Dutch 8c: firmware v2.0

I’ve had the minidsp and my current Topping DX7 pro DAC next to each other and was able to a/b them.
The minidsp is causing this.
It has noticably less high end extension to the point even my non audiophile gf remarked about it.
I don’t know why though, my guess is even with Dirac turned off it does something to the input signal.

1 Like

IIRC the Mini DSP studio resamples evertyhing to 24/96

Why ethernet direct would sound better than via a top quality streamer is an interesting one. If the streamer is really good and the cables are also good then I wonder if it’s down to having the same clock for both the streaming and DAC processes. Top end digital processing companies go to a lot of trouble to use a consistent clock signal for all parts of the digital path to reduce jitter.

There is no point in speculation. Both will sound the same under blind conditions.

2 Likes

As it turns out, the bug is not in release 2.0 itself. Rather, it has to do with migrating user settings from 1.4 to 2.0. The issue with the update occurs in only some of the cases. Our software development team have made a new firmware version in which this issue has been fixed. However, this version will first be tested by our internal acceptance testers, then by our external acceptance testers, and only after that will it be released to what we call the production group. This will take at least a few days.

If you’re currently having issues with your 8c’s not being discovered by the Ascend app, there are two ways to recover from this. Both require the usage of the Release Management System (RMS).

1. If you want your 8c’s to keep running r2.0, then use the RMS to perform a factory reset. This should be done on each 8c separately, with all other speakers turned off during the reset. A detailed guide is available on the RMS support page.
  2. If you want your systems to go back to r1.4, then use the RMS to restore the latest automatic major upgrade back-up. More information is available on the RMS support page.

We’ve added a “Troubleshooting” section to the 2.0 release notes: Release Notes D&D 8-Series Firmware 2.0

Besides that, we now have a more thorough explanation of what the Release Management System is, and how to use it: Release Management System

6 Likes

My guess is it has to do with the way the MiniDSP translates from Volumio to Roon. But I really don’t know anything about what is going on in the MiniDSP.

How interesting! Bits are bits, right?

I don’t see the factory reset view in the first section of the main view when in RMS. Both speakers give me same results. Or am I blind?

Just read the manual for RMS.
I think there’s a little typo where room should be Roon under the section factory reset.
Other than that, great read.

My lost speaker won’t show up via RMS no matter what I do!

Sorted….my bad. I was running some privacy software (1-Blocker) that was interfering with RMS.
All good on with both speakers on 1.4.65 again.

Internally 8C works at 48KHz and process all the digital signals to that sample rate. Then performs D/A convertion and feeds the analog signal to its amplifier. If you put a DAC in front of the 8C, the 8C has to do a A/D convertion + a D/A convertion internally which may reduce the accuracy / increase the jitter of the signal. Due to such mechanism, it is likely that an ethernet direct would sound better as it cuts all the unnecessary A/D, DSP convertions unless there is a hi-end streamer/DAC infront of 8C. I think the efficient way to play with 8C is feeding it with a fixed 48KHz digital signal which will eliminate evitable convertions. You will need an audiophile PC or a DDC/DSP with clock input.

1 Like

Why would it matter where you do the conversion.
If I have FLAC audio it’s almost never the right sample rate. The speaker handles it, or the source handles it. Where doesn’t matter as long as it’s a good DAC/streamer/ whatever.
Conversion of an audio signal should not be audible with good components.

Its been shown that the amounts of jitter that is created by these types of devices is inaudible. So, why should either sound better?

@Martijn_Mensink Wanted to tell you that after extensively comparing the beta software to the 1.4.65 via xlr with same room settings (migrated) and the same music there is a difference in sound quality whereby the 1.5.210 sounds a lot more bass heavy. Have you heard this before, or could you give an explanation for this?

I’m willing to do measurements if you’d want or need them. Grt.

Of course it matters. In your theory, you won’t need a ‘good’ device but just a ‘workable’ device. Where the SRC (re-clock required) is handled would matter because the quality of the processing is different. Your speakers could still play with it but it is audibly different.

No I even said you need good components to get the job done the right way so yes you do need a good device.
But that said, I’m positive my dac is a very good device and I’m confident the components of a 12000 euro pair of speakers should be equally good.

I would suggest you try comparing the sound of various good components and see if you hear a difference. Some people do and some don’t. It seems to be very personal thing. Specs don’t tell the whole story in my experience.

1 Like

Could you provide reference please?

Do you believe clocking of synchronous digital signals can effect sound quality?

I actually did a/b the minidsp studio and my dac because I bought the minidsp as an upgrade to feed the 8c’s digital instead of analog.
The minidsp actually measures quite well and I’m not going to pretend to know what was going on but I am sure I can tell you which is which in a blind test.
I have listened to the units for several days with the same records and with intervals of say 30 seconds.
The minidsp has since been sold because the highs were rolled off.
Personally I am under the impression that if the measurements are good, the software has to be blamed if all other parameters have stayed the same.
I’d love to try this same experiment soon with the new Roon software vs my dac.
I suspect that I will not hear a difference anymore between the two.