Roon 1.8 (Build 988)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Not relevant.

Connected Audio Devices

Not relevant.

Number of Tracks in Library

Not relevant.

Description of Issue

At each restart of the RoonServer service, the value of the “Enable MQA core decoder” setting returns to “Off”, this for all audio devices.
The same thing happens if I turn off / disconnect the USB DAC from Roon Core.

1 Like

Update: Although the common_config file parameter is correct (“enable_mqa_core_decoder”: true), in device setup appears “Enable MQA core decoder” = Off, and Roon behaves as such (does not make MQA core decoder).

I also enabled the MQA core decoder after the update to B987 that changed the default and had to set it to enable again after the update to B988. Seems like the code for the default change is running wild.

My problem persists after many restarts…

I am having the same issue. Switching the “enable MQA core decoding” to the “on” position does not seem to stick.

I have applied both of the updates on the core and all clients. Each time I have updated I have had to reset the “enable MQA” slider to the “on” position for each of my connected devices.

After every update the slider has reset to the “off” position. I am not sure whether this is related to updates or if it is simply related to a device not being used, but either way it would appear to be a “bug”.

Please fix @support!

Hey @DanielAvasilichioaei, @BlackJack & @Bob_Worley

Thank you for the heads up and the testing you’ve done thus far. I’m reaching out to QA with your reports, I’ll be back in touch as soon as I have more details. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Hi All,

Thank you for the reports, we were able to reproduce this behavior and have filled a ticket with the development team.

While we wait for a fix, there is a workaround that will allow you to keep the MQA Core Decoder enabled across reboots of the Roon Core process.

A. Open the Device Setup screen for the zone.
B. Set the “MQA Capabilities” setting to “Renderer Only”.
C. Set the “Enable MQA Core Decoder” setting to “Yes”.
D. Click Save.

This will enable the MQA Core Decoder automatically while allowing the configuration to persist between restarts of the Roon Core process.

-John

4 Likes

Ha! This is how it was set up for my output device, and I was wondering why I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem…

1 Like

I thought one cannot or should not use “Renderer only” with non-MQA DAC’s. Does it make a difference then?

Hi @Douglas_Henning,

Using MQA Renderer Only mode should work without issue on any DAC. This mode, with the MQA Core Decoder enabled, will result in Roon unfolding the content to 88.2kHz or 96kHz.

-John

Thank you, John.

Any updates Roon?

Hey Gang,

We’re happy to report that we’ve made good progress and are hopeful to have it ready for release soon.

Great, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply

1 Like

Hi @jamie,

I have no problem with the options and how they work, but unfortunately Roon forgets the device specific MQA setting when the device is switched off.

Roon doing the first MQA decoding for non-MQA-devices (in my case mainly Naim and Linn streamers) was one of the key buying points. Was always working fine the last months and still is, at least if you don’t forget to enable it again after you switch on your streamer. Same happens it Roon loses network connectivity to a device. When the connection is reestablished, the setting is always “no”.

Please fix this and make the setting permanent. Alternatively you could also add a 2nd setting in the general section like “default MQA decoding for non-MQA-devices” Y/N.

Wrong thread? Please read:

2 Likes

:+1: I’ve moved it over.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.