Error message: TLS 1.2 connection issue causing Roon dropouts (ref#6PWRM6)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

I'm hearing dropouts

Roon is dropping out during playback. I am seeing multiple instances of an error on the WIN 11 computer running Roon server.

Dedicated WIn11 PC running Roon Server - Wired LAN-Static IP address
Music library on same PC - Different drive
Switch: IP-Com G5328X
Modem: Telstra Smart Modem
DAC: Moon680D - Wired Connection
Amp: McIntosh MX123

All equipment is in the same cabinet.
This configuration has been in place for 18 months and have had no issues until January.

The error message is “An TLS 1.2 connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The TLS connection request has failed.
The SSPI client process is RoonAppliance (PID: 14316).”

And you made sure that the playback issues and the logged, failing connection attempts are related in any way? Is that you, trying to connect to Roon ARC and failing?
If you don’t use Roon ARC then disable it’s connection to the internet and the failing connection attempts may stop. You can also do this as a test to see if a) none such log messages appear and B) if you still get playback dropouts during the test period with disabled Roon ARC.
If you want to use ARC and have some control over your router you can potentially setup a firewall rule that restricts access to the open port a bit?

No, not sure it was connected, this was just the only error message I could find that referred to Roon. And it did not appear yesterday when Roon was dropping out a lot.
I do use RoonArc and also get drop outs there occasionally, but these dropouts are on my local network and they are becoming more frequent.
Plex media server runs on the same machine. Both applications would never be serving content at same time and I never see drop outs in Plex.

The dropouts also manifest in different manners. Sometimes it’s just a stop and start in playback, sometimes it’s a lengthy wait between tracks and yesterday it was playback stopping completely and having to be restarted. All playback is from my local library, not a streaming service.

As in this post the frequency is increasing and rebooting has temporarily fixed the issue on occasion but it does return.

There are many people lately with similar issues. Most of them, it seems to me, with quite large libraries. How big is yours? What are the specs of your PC (Roon Server machine)?

PS: There’s probably nothing you can do right now until Roon Labs has found and fixed some bottlenecks in their software. Keep an eye on the Software Release Notes category of the forum and eventually join-in if there is a release that promises improvement. See also:

Eventually official support will address your issue when it reaches the top of their queue.

Thanks BlackJack

I’ll also note some specific date/time/track info when it happens again.

PC Specs
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-12700T 1.40 GHz
RAM: 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
Hard drive 1 - Samsung SSD 870 EVO 256Gb (System drive) 80Gb free
Hard Drive 2 - Samsun SSD QVO 8Tb (Data drive) 5Tb free

Library: 32k tracks

Hello @Andelain ,

Are you still seeing this issue? If so, can you please provide this information? Thanks!

Hi Norris

Apologies for the late reply. The dropouts have stopped for now and no more error messages. There has been a couple of updates since then so maybe there was a fix there. I’ll repost if it happens again.

Thanks for following up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.