Exogal comet crashing on track changes

@support

Just started using Roon recently, having quite a few issues with crashing as tracks change, I’ve read someone else here has had the same issues, but the thread died a month ago without seeing how/if this was resolved, anyone know anymore?

Using an innuos zenith via usb into comet. I get a loud static noise briefly, then the comet is no longer available to choose, can still play via iPad etc, so doesn’t look like the zenith has crashed completely

The dac also carries on playing from other inputs without a need to restart it ie tv into optical etc

Just seems to be the link between zenith/dac/Roon that dies

If I try to play further tracks Roon just skips through them quickly in the bar at the bottom and ends the queue

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi @Paul_Burke ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is very appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are noticing with the Innous + Comet while using Roon may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• Since noticing this behavior have you tried testing with another USB cable between the server and the DAC?

• If you use another desktop computer or laptop as a Roon remote and attach the DAC to the device what is the experience like? Are you have the same issue(s)?

-Eric

Thanks Eric,

I don’t have another laptop etc I can use, it’s far too old and slow, hence partly the reason for using a zenith, I only need an iPad in the house.

I can plug another usb in tonight and leave it playing for a bit and see what happens though. I can’t really recreate it as it’s totally random. Gone from no problem for several days to 4 crashes in 3 hours

Thanks for touching base with me @Paul_Burke, I will be on the look out for your update!

Additionally, are you noticing any patterns in behavior just before your setup gets into this state? I have also seen devices get into some weird states if left on for prolonged periods. If you reboot the Comet and the Innous how do things hold up?

-Eric

Just changed to a new usb cable, queued some tracks and done the same thing a few tracks in.

Seems to normally be on tidal, might have done this from the ssd at some point though, will keep an eye on it

Generally everything is left on permanently, but I’ve obviusly been doing lots of restarts recently because of this anyway

@support

Same issue here, don’t know if it was ever resolved or not? I’ve not been using Roon long enough to know if pre v1.5 this was an issue or not

Exogal problems

Just done a full shutdown and restart on zenith and comet, 2 tracks in has crashed again on track change when playing a new album. If an album is queued and starts ok it will generally play it all, only seems to be when changing to a new artist/source.

This time is has just crashed on locally stored so isn’t just limited to tidal tracks

Hello @Paul_Burke,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-John

1 Like

Thanks John,

Let me know how that goes then, cheers

Do timestamps of crashes help? Can try and provide a few when it happens, just had one at 18:26 today,

Edit - & 18:30

Hello @Paul_Burke,

Thank you for the time stamps, it helps us quickly zero-in on the anomalous behavior and save time for everyone.

Our support servers have not yet received the diagnostics package. If they do not appear by tomorrow, I will give you instructions on how to manually upload them to us.

-John

Hello @Paul_Burke,

We have been able to reproduce some abnormal behavior with the Exogal Comet when connected to Linux devices using our in-house hardware. We don’t quite know what the cause is yet, we’re continuing to investigate the issue. I will be sure to let you know when the technical team has some further information to share. In the interim, you may be able to reduce the occurrence of the behavior you are seeing by using the Max PCM rate upsampling in Roon’s DSP Engine.

-John

Thanks John, have tried that setting, see how it goes. Hopefully will figure out what’s wrong then if you’ve replicated it, cheers

is there any more on this - have been experiencing similar issues with a micro rendu playing into my comet. Has run fine for days but crashed tonight with loud screech and can’t seem to get roon to come back to where the play button isn’t greyed out. Also note in audio setup it says it is not recognizing my dac.- says unrecognized device - xmosexogal 06.51e Dop. Have restarted each device to no avail.

David

this is going to seem strange but after a couple of hours of frustration trying everything I could tried to play roon radio and it worked. When I went back to my music is was now able to play. Head scratcher this.

Hello @David_Speed,

This is a known issue with multiple DACs running the XMOS USB chipset. There was a bug shipped in the implementation that causes issues when used with Linux based USB hosts.

You can avoid this issue by enabling the “Headroom Management” feature in Roon’s DSP Engine. We have made Exogal aware of the issue and they are investigating.

-John

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to be sure, this issue regarding Exogal Comet and RPi based streamers that feed the dac through USB can be mitigated by upsampling from Roon everything to, let’s say, 384KHz?
I’m asking because I’ve encountered the same problems with a SOtM SMS-200ultra Neo and an Exogal Comet Plus: loud static noise and then the dac is not recognized and nothing can be played using Roon or skipping tracks very fast.
Does the same issue happens when you use DLNA protocol or only when using the streamer as Roon Endpoint?

Thank you,
Mircea

Hi Mircea,

I had the very same problem, with the same setup (SOtM SMS-200ultra Neo and an Exogal Comet).

I can confirm that the problem went away after I asked Roon DSP to upsample everything (in my case, Max PCM power of 2 so, typically, 384kHz) - had no issues in the last four months.

I have not tried using the DLNA protocol.

Patrick

1 Like

Hello @Mircea_Popescu,

I am so sorry we’ve missed your post for this long :pleading_face:

I was wondering if you wanted to share where things stand now and if there’s anything we can do to help. Even with the extreme delay, we’d love the chance to help now :nerd_face:

Thanks @pmmbossuyt for chiming in with your very insightful comment :pray:

Hi @beka ,

It helped to activate Roon DSP by using Headroom Management. This way, the issue doesn’t occur anymore. Don’t know why but it does the trick.

Thank you,
Mircea

1 Like