For those who had disappearing libraries in 1.2.... have you updated to 1.3? Results!

Now that 1.3 is here, I am interested in updating and wonder if anyone who has had the recurring deleted files issue has done the update and whether their libraries are now stable.
@Gary_Aigen
@matthias_Luck

Hi, I did the update and Roon started to update the library. After a couple of minutes, it stopped with an error “there is something wrong with your library…” However roon came up with 0 Albums, but all watched folders were still in the storage locations list. a forced rescan or en- or disabling did not do any change, still 0 albums. Removing storage locations and adding them again, still roon finds 0 tracks/albums. So with 1.3, the library is completely gone and it seems nothing is recoverable. luckily we have already switched to a new library, when the disappearing albums issue started.

I have another observation on a roonserver that runs on a Macmini (not mine and in Germany, not Denmark). After update to 1.3, all albums were gone. Storage locations were mixed up and a forced rescann or disable/enable did not bring the albums back. However on that system the removal and adding of the storage location brought the albums back. Of course all the metadata editing was gone. Guys you really have a problem with your database management. We are still recommending roon to our customers, but this is very worrying.

@eric

I wonder, did you test 1.3 with any of your users who were having this disappearing libraries problem, and is there anyone who can pipe in that things are working now?

I am about to come to my annual renewal point, and without this problem solved I cannot imagine continuing with Roon.

thanks
Dan

Hey @Dan_Levy – thanks for checking in.

We have a reasonably good understanding of the underlying causes of this issue, but I should mention that it’s not something we’ve ever reliably reproduced, either by our in-house QA or by any of our more than 50 alpha testers.

Our team has spent many many hours trying to reliably reproduce these symptoms, including introducing all kinds of faulty network configurations or performance issues, but we’ve never seen this happen as consistently as we’ve heard from you and a handful of other users. This is most likely because the issue is closely tied to something environmental or to certain NAS devices.

All of that said, we have worked hard to address some of the underlying factors that could cause this issue, and that work was done as part of a ground-up rewrite of our storage infrastructure.

We believe these changes should make a big difference with regards to this issue, but I concede it’s not as crisp as I’d like. Had we been able to reproduce this issue in-house, I could say “we ran the test in 1.2 and saw the issue, and ran the test with 1.3 and it’s definitely resolved”. As it is, all I can say is that a ton of work was done in this area, and our hope is that this issue should be a thing of the past.

@Dan_Levy – I know we’ve been discussing this for a long time, so I would encourage you to update to 1.3 and let us know if things get better. I’d like to make sure you have time to confirm whether it’s resolved for you, so let me know once you’ve had a chance to run 1.3 and we’ll go from there.

Hey @Matthias_Luck1 – everything in your post sounds like issues migrating storage, and I’m confident all your edits and library are safely stored in the Roon database, which was designed specifically to attach edits to file signatures, as opposed to specific storage locations.

If edits appear to be missing, it’s almost certainly due to the storage migration and re-configuration steps that were taken after the 1.3 update. We would be happy to look into this and help you recover anything that appears to be missing.

Do you have backups? Whether you do or not, can you start a new thread in #support with these details and screenshots of your storage configuration, and we will take a look?

Thanks!

Thanks, I guess I have nothing to lose by trying 1.3, since 1.2 is a constant source of disappointment… just today, almost as soon as Roon had finished restoring the 65,000 tracks it had lost, it started losing tracks again…this happens, well, a couple times a week. Here goes nothing!

I only had the problem one time - scary as it was. The 1.3 update brought a couple albums to the added today category, that in fact were around for months. But no problems.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

these were both only test databases, so no need for restoration. We have three setups running. Two failed to update to 1.3. Fortunately, there was no issue updating our third setup. However the two that had issues were two totally different setups (one with NAS and he other with a Macmini in two different offices with different networkconfigurations).

The only thing I noticed with the working setup, that there were a few additional albums that suddenly appear in “Added today”.

Best
Matthias