Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

You prefer speakers for two hundred thousand pounds? :joy:

That’s what all reviewers tell you to generate (google)traffic.

These were my first ever speakers (the original) and after deciding LS50 Wireless was overkill to just sit on my desk I sold them and bought another pair of these for £83.99 direct from Harman. They wont blow you away if your used to real Hi-Fi but for gaming sound and YouTube etc they are a bargain.

1 Like

I just repaired a pair of Quested VS2205 near field monitors from late '90’s that I was given suffering distortion and replaced 6 power caps and now they are sounding great…was thinking maybe to make them into a pair of network connected Roon Ready monitors with a RPi and IQAudIO DAC Pro and a link cable for the other channel. They are pretty unforgiving of bad recordings as they were intended to be pretty clinical in a mastering room.

5 Likes

… mostly passive speakers here:
main set: Clio Acoustic Muze 5a
lounge: Quad ESL-57 electrostatic speakers
office: Kef RDM Two monitors

But these (completely revised) babies are also going strong, should listen to them more often though…

Philips MFB 545 studio monitors

Happened to attend a deeply impressive demo of active Grimm Audio LS1be in 5.0 yesterday, a bit over my budget, unfortunately…

4 Likes

I have had active a good few years ago ( atc 50a. in Birdseye maple driven by a nagra plp) but as of the last few years have been happy with Mbl 116f speakers(Daleks according to some)

The number of spell checks in that lot above :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Hey, because of this post I searched for the Thile-Mehldau album and I absolutely love it. Great album, thanks.
Another recent Mehldau album I adore is Highway Rider. Cheers.

1 Like

Only active speakers at the moment.

Kii Three and Devialet Gold Phantom, now in separate rooms.

2 Likes

Agreed! I’ve had a pair of these for 25+ years and love them…

Nice solution with the wall mounted Phantoms. It solves the issues associated with curious kids wanting to poke and prod at standmounts/floorstanders. Curious adults too… :grin:

1 Like

I recently bought myself the Teufel Ultima 40 passive as a Surround System and they sound awesome.
I’m feeding them via my RoPieee through my Onkyo Reciever - This features a pure audio mode which turns off DSP for a unaltered music pleasure :wink:

3 Likes

Shahinian Diapasons - the realistic reproduction of classical music and large scale orchestral/choral performances I had been looking for for years. So grateful to Dick Shahinian for making it possible

5 Likes

I hope your window panes aren’t loose…

1 Like

Klipsch La Scala II. Love 'em cuz they are loud! :slight_smile:

Have wanted a paid of Klipschhorns every since I heard DSOTM on them at a dealer when I was 17 years old. Never had the money and now don’t have the right space for them to fit. When I found these like-new La Scala’s on Craigslist last year and a seller willing to give bend on price to fit my budget, I couldn’t pass them up.

Someday, I must own Klipschhorns though!! :smile:

PMC 23’s.

After owning a pair of Mission 752’s it took me years to replace them and find something to my taste.

2 Likes

OMG! I think I have the oldest speakers in the group. I mostly listen on headphones but my Polk 7c studios still sound great as main left right. Two conclusions: I am old and it is time to get new speakers…soon. :slight_smile:

Mine are from 1978, a pair of Technics SB-7000.
I also have Dali Rubicon LCR, Dali Opticon 8 and Dali Fazon SAT.

I’ll raise you a pair of Quad ESL57s bought in September 1976… Though I have to concede that I had them refurbished a couple of years ago.

4 Likes

I’m using relatively youthful Tannoys from the mid ‘80’s. SRM10B drivers. But the boxes they are in are from the late 60’s or early 70’s because they were drilled for 12 inch Monitor Golds as well as the later HPD drivers. Because of that tradition of Tannoy putting their drivers in boxes too small for them I put my ten inch drivers into boxes designed for their 12 inch units and added a bit of bracing. The result is visually strange but aurally amazing.

Linn Espeks, passive, 3-way floorstanders for me.
I also have a pair of Linn AV5140’s, their near identical predecessors in a second system.
Very happy with the look and sound of both of these although if I was starting from scratch I would definitely go for active speakers and reduce the box count and expenditure on pre + power amps.