From Synology to Marantz, what am I missing?

Roon Core Machine

Synology NAS DS1522+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet, 1Gigabit switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Marantz SR6013 AVR

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

My Synology NAS is my core. My Marantz AVR is my main audio unit. It is connected via ethernet and it works really well (I play music via Android phone as a remote). BUT, my flac files are being played via Airplay. Is that downgrading the audio quality? Also, all of my multichannel files get donwgraded to stereo. My DSD files also get downgraded.

What can I do? I think a Roon bridge (that would connect to my AVR with HDMI) might help? Should I get an Intel NUC? But I don’t need a new core as my NAS is working really good. Is Intel NUC an overkill for a bridge? But I heard that lesser options like RPI can’t feed multichannel od DSD audio to my AVR? Would really like to get the best out of my music collection :slight_smile:

All ideas are welcome! :smiley:

You might try a cheap Windows PC to just function as an endpoint. Just load RoonBridge on it. There are all in one units that come with Windows installed pretty cheap. Since it is only going to be an endpoint, it doesn’t need a big processor.

For example,

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Windows-Celeron-Computer-Business-Entertainment/dp/B0BG87B263/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1OCCS1L0AE7TY&keywords=windows+mini+pc+10&qid=1686327235&sprefix=windows+mini+pc+10%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-5

I run HDMI from the core machine to a Denon receiver. It plays hi-res and Multi-channel.

But Roon doesn’t play DSD over HDMI even though the receiver does play DSD. Multi-channel DSD gets converted to Multi-channel PCM

Having a Roon Bridge in between, Nas - Ethernet to bridge - bridge to receiver with HDMI, may eliminate the issue with DSD

This is being used by a few users. Offers up DSD mulitchannel via HDMI apparently

Have a look at the RHEOS extension for Roon.

2 Likes

Wont allow native DSD or multichannel but yes is a good option without spending anything.

1 Like

Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.