đŸ‡©đŸ‡Ș German Translation: Fine tuning

I’m just too exhausted from a lot of work for anything that involves any actual activity, so this is an ideal way to spend a day/evening with the laptop on the couch in front of the TV and still doing something useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Within a genre such as Blues, Rap, or Techno, I treated most of the many subdivisions as technical terms and left most of them untranslated (or made them so). East Coast Blues instead of OstkĂŒsten-Blues, for instance. Otherwise it would create a lot of inconsistency within the genre because much cannot be reasonably translated anyway / is a fixed technical term.

I did a complete pass over everything and another shorter one to clean up some inconsistencies. As I remarked in the other thread, some things can only be decided in context when seeing genre/album/credit/artist.

For instance, there is an ambiguity regarding Score which can be both a Film Score (and related technical jobs) and the German “Partitur” (Sheet Music for a conductor). It is impossible to tell from the Localizely overview which one it means for each role because the context is missing. So, I left everything at “Score-”. At least this means that using the search, one can list all instances easily and adapt/fix as needed in context.

Generally, I think at least it won’t be an embarrassment when released to production.

2 Likes

Hallo zusammen,
habe auch eine - kleine - Anmerkung zur Übersetzung in die deutsche Sprache:
Beim AuswĂ€hlen eines Titels fĂŒr die Warteliste erscheint ein kleines Pop-Up mit dem Hinweis “x Titel zur Warteschlagen hinzugefĂŒgt”.
Roon-Warteschlange

Evtl. könnte das Wort bei Gelegenheit in “Warteschlange” korrigiert werden.

VG Michael

1 Like

I really like that we now have more translated texts in Roon like genre names. Will this be enhanced to include genre (German) descriptions as well? In my case they’re all still in English. (I know, that I can edit them by myself)

Good point, I didn’t think of that. There was no option for that when doing German translations.

Thanks for your reply. So, Fluency isn’t AI translation but human translation? I thought it was AI because this feature has the name Fluency like Valence. :man_facepalming: And also the translation “Sprechkomödie” for “Comedy/Spoken” looks like AI translation for me :wink: (shouldn’t it be “Komödie/Gesprochenes”? Otherwise artists like “Helge Schneider” wouldn’t fit, he’s also singing.)

The initial translation was AI and utterly terrible, as to be expected. I and some other guys like @Kopftelefon did a manual pass for German, so now you don’t have to see Wurzel-Rock for Roots Rock :wink:

But there were more than 3000 translations to be done and surely not everything is perfect. It’s a difficult balance to strike between leaving too much untranslated and finding appropriate German translations. The translation tool also doesn’t give you contex, so during translation it is often not clear how a term is applied in practice. So if anything is off and you have a better translation for something, let me know and I’ll add it.

FWIW, I did a lot of cross checks with German Wikipedia and other sources. Sprechkomödie is actually a proper German term for a type of stage comedy, which is distinguished from a musical comedy, e.g.,

I am personally not a fan of “Komödie/Gesprochenes” because not everything that is Gesprochenes is a Komödie.

1 Like

I know about “Sprechkomödie” but it’s one specific term like “Spoken Comedy”. There’s a slash in “Comedy/Spoken”. Shouldn’t it be read as “Comedy or Spoken”? Otherwise, Comedy Songs from Weird Al Yankovic need a new Genre as they’re not spoken but sung.

1 Like

That’s the thing, it’s not clear when translating in the translation tool because there you can’t see the albums or artists to which a genre is in practice applied, if it’s Yankovich, a Sprechkomödie from the 19th century, or both.

And one wouldn’t just have to have examples in one’s own library but also know albums from Qobuz were it would be applied. There are just way too many cases to investigate each case in detail during editing.

I seem to recall that I edited that and IIRC the automatic translation was terrible and had to be changed to anything :slight_smile:

If you have a bunch of examples to let you determine what translation works better, I’m happy to add it :slight_smile:

I’m not happy with the forced translation of genres into German. Even though I use German as my default language, I would like the genres to continue to be in English. I simply feel that English is the standard for genres. Unfortunately, I can’t choose this independently of my default language. Or am I wrong there?

1 Like

The genres are from AllMusic, so it’s easy to see popular artists: AllMusic | Music Search, Recommendations, Videos and Reviews

I’ve also mixed feelings. In my opinion, there are genres which should be translated, like Religious, Work Songs or Classical (which should be “Klassik” instead of “Klassisch”). Also “International” could be translated to “Weltmusik”. Wikipedia is a good source for common translations. Just search “international music” and then switch to German. Other Genres like “Singer/Songwriter” shouldn’t be translated as “Liedermacher” only fits to German Singer/Songwriters and is used to differentiate from international Singer/Songwriter’s.

It’s easy to look up one, not when spending a Sunday editing 3000 translations.

Like I said, if you have a good one, ideally with examples, I’m happy to enter it because I already have the translator access. Alternatively, you can ask for access as well and fix what needs fixing:

I’m pretty sure that I added translations for that but will have to look it up in the evening. Maybe not all translations made it into the update because it was all last minute after nobody noticed or cared until it was nearly too late.
(My own usage is in English, so I didn’t notice)

I disagree :slight_smile: The International genre in Roon is a catch-all for everything that is not Anglo-American (which is a questionable choice but a different topic) and includes, e.g., “German”. Just because some thing is, e.g., German, doesn’t make it Weltmusik, which is a very specific thing

2 Likes

I agree and thought this was fixed but have to check in the translation tool

By the way, if you want to know just how bad it was before the edits and if you want to have a laugh, look at this initial state :slight_smile:

By the way, since this thread seems to be exclusively about German, I think it should be merged with the existing thread

@moderators?

Your wish is my command

3 Likes

A bit off-topic, but:
I never use the genre “Singer/Songwriter” in my music file tags, because from my perspective, this is not a genre. Songwriter is Composer and Singer is an Artist. A singer/songwriter can perform a Folk song, a Rock song or something else.
However I see this tag often in Roon after identifying an album.

Thanks for taking care of the translations to German. And please do not use “Liedermacher” as translation.

I didn’t know it’s so easy. I already have access and fixed some stuff. :slight_smile:

Your’re right, so “International” should fit best.

2 Likes

The term “Messe” (e.g. The B Minor Mass by Johann Sebastian Bach, BWV 232) was translated as “masse”.