đŸ‡©đŸ‡Ș German Translation: Fine tuning

I think this must come from the translations of works, which has a different source. The genre and credit translations, where there were user contributions, has only this:

“Messen” oder auch Chormusik (Choral) wĂ€re doch gut, nicht?

Indeed this was still “Klassisch”. Fixed:

I also changed “Religious” to “Religiöse Musik”, because it was “Religiös” which seems weird. Although generally there was an agreement to leave out “Musik” in most cases such as Rock and not Rockmusik.

“Work Songs” was already “Arbeitslieder”, consistent with Arbeitslied – Wikipedia, I remember to have translated that on the first pass, 10 days ago. So if it was still “Work Songs” in the release version, then the release apparently did not have all translations included.

Yes, but it is already Messen in the translation tool for Masses, see the above screenshot. Genres and credits (and the user interface as before) are the only places where we have direct input through the translation tool. The translations of the names of works come from some other source. I think you have to post this in Support. Clearly, the B Minor Mass should not be “Masse” but Messe in German.

As for Choral, what exactly do you mean? It wouldn’t fit generally for the Masses / Messen genre, not every Chormusik is a mass / Messe. Or what am I misunderstanding? The Choral genre in English is already Choral in German in the translation tool:

Thak you. You are right

1 Like

By the way, I notice that the link I posted above was for ARC (I didn’t check enough), though that also uses Localizely like the genre/credit translations. Make sure that you signed up for the right thing or check here :slight_smile:

Looking at the Spoken Comedy issue in Localizely for genres, I still see this:

“Gesprochene Komik” sounds weird to me

And still this:

Any agreement what to do about these?

There are also other genres with Comedy in one way or another. I think for some Komödien fits, for others Komik, and yet others (like Comedy Rap) I left in English (or reverted to English). But I am not entirely happy, like Latin Comedy as Lateinamerikanische Comedy-Musik, but what else?

It’s not in the tool, if it’s in the production version it seems another case where a translation was not updated

It was my immediate feedback to leave users that option, but it was not heeded :man_shrugging: I see that you wrote a feature suggestion :+1: and I get it.

You could set your user interface language to English, however, that would give you English genres as well. And as there is not much user interface (other than Settings) in Roon that isn’t actually something about music, maybe that’s an option for you.

1 Like

I’m handling it the same way at the moment. However, I would like to be able to set this up independently.

@Tekl back to Comedy/Spoken - following a discussion about the French version of this in another thread, I saw now that Comedy/Spoken is a level higher from the separate Spoken Word, so now I agree that Comedy/Spoken is probably meant as “Comedy OR Spoken” and have edited like this. Agreed?

1 Like

I hated this and it may not just be music but spoken as well, so I did this instead. Agreement?

Maybe this should be added as " Funny language" option. This is too hilarious to be deleted!

1 Like

I am anything but a linguist. Nevertheless, I have an opinion on this. I would translate it as it is meant. As a “spoken word” in relation to a “sung word”. As an example I would like to mention Cassandra Willson, in some of her songs the transition from speech to song is fluid. But definitely none of this has anything to do with “comic”. Or the album “Dave Okumu feat. The 7 Generations - I Came From Love”.
RoonShareImage-638175065219087384
This is neither rap nor comic, the best description is simply “Spoken Word”. The German equivalent, which for me only makes sense, would be “Gesprochenes Wort”. I still find the translation counterproductive precisely because of such examples.

Spoken Word is the genre that German Wikipedia uses, in the untranslated English original, so my vote is to not translate it at all.

“Rap” or “Comic” doesn’t appear here in your screenshot, did you edit it?

Keep in mind that in this context we can only come up with the best translations for existing genres, we can’t fix when an album has incorrectly tagged genres - that would be a topic to post in Metadata

No , I didn’t edit. It appears when I hear the album streaming from Qubuz. This screenshot appears that way.

I totally agree.

1 Like

Ah OK, now I get it. So this album is just tagged “Spoken Word” in English and this is best left untranslated in German, I think we agree on that.

However, in the genre hierarchy in the original English, the Spoken Word genre is a sub-genre of the Comedy/Spoken top-level genre, which rightly or wrongly contains everything that is either comedy or spoken.

This album isn’t tagged with this top-level genre, which is good.

But if it was, we wouldn’t be able to change this with a translation. All we could do is find the most appropriate translation for Comedy/Spoken, and currently this is the best I could come up with for this:

Comedy Rap, however, is not a sub-genre of Comedy/Spoken but is a sub-genre of the separate Rap genre. It’s surely best to leave this untranslated, anyway.

1 Like

Genre “Klassisch” (Classical) has a subgenre “Keyboard”. Should be “Klavier” I guess

Not sure, wouldn’t Klavier be Piano in English? Keyboard might include works on piano, organ, harpsichord (Cembalo), 

Can you check what the genre actually includes or what the genre hierarchy is (e.g. if there are separate piano and organ sub-genres)

If Keyboard applies to more than piano, it may be better to translate as Tasteninstrumente?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t translate Comedy as it’s even used by official tv stations (ARD/ZDF).

1 Like