Getting no results for some searches

Ok. No worries. Please send instructions.

I’ve tried to, but it seems you have private messages turned off. I can send them to your email address otherwise if you prefer (just please write the address to me in a pm).

Here’s the instruction on how to get the DB out https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/upload-database

How do I turn on private messaging? I do not remember turning it off.

Actually, here’s the link for the upload, no need to send it privately :slight_smile:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/gnhz54df9ddffa33d49a3be8619bd6376a5de/external

But the setting for private messages in the user preferences

Ok, thanks. I am zipping the Roon folder now. I think it will take a while.

Ok, Roon.7z is uploaded now.

1 Like

How large is a large box set that might be triggering this?
My largest is a 111 albums.

I think it is a combination of things. More complicated than a single box. For example, the Ballet Masterpieces box that caused the original problem I reported is 35CDs. Large but not huge. If I remove that box then I can search for John Bonygne normally but that is obviously not a solution.

It is not confined to Classical either. I have the same issue with major Jazz artists like Miles Davis. This is all I get (because Miles Davis is specifically mentioned in the the radio station descriptions):

John Coltrane on the other hand is fine.

I am still hoping it is not a db corruption (there are no reported errors with multiple backups). The only consistent pattern is that they are artists where I have a lot of albums and boxes in my local library. That is, a combination of local files and virtual Qobuz albums. I also tend to edit the metadata in various ways. Virtually every album I would say, one way or another.

In addition one relatively recent roon change that has gone largely uncommented by except a few is that the entire artist db was changed to the original language forms. For example “Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra” → “Radion sinfoniaorkesteri”. An incomprehensibly bad decision. One by one I have been editing them back to their common English forms as found on discogs. There are other routine changes I make to virtually every import and I wonder if the cumulative effect of mappings and conversions is now stressing cloud servers in ways that didn’t happen when more functionality was locally based.

PS: I have several DG 111 box sets. Box sets this large are exactly the type I consider unnavigable in roon and I have split them and identified where possible the original CDs. Identification was not possible in all cases because albums in these retrospectives can be long out of print and there may be no metadata either in TiVO or public db’s. So in these cases I identified the CD’s separately (ungrouped) as part of the original boxes and changed the art work and album titles to display them as “individual” albums. I have been doing this for a long time (6+ years) and never experienced any problems. It is possible that my library management habits have started to break as functionality is being moved from local to cloud.

To be clear, I have only noticed problems with search in build 1169 but the issues could well have been there in recent prior releases because I do not use search (magnifying glass) very much as it is too unpredictable.

I know you are a metadata pioneer on roon so wondered what the triggers were.

Me too. I hope at least it is not a db corruption. Roon have my db now so we will soon know.

At least the search errors that you’re having aren’t caused by a DB corruption, just the very large box sets. I’m able to reproduce the issue with your roon db, and should be able to find a solution soon.

3 Likes

The fix is being reviewed internally, but unfortunately, it won’t make it into the next planned release this December.

The main (but not only one) culprit seems to be this box set Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition with 3.3k tracks on it, so in the meanwhile, you can try to temporarily move it out of the library. That should at least make search a bit more functional. If that doesn’t work let me know, there might be another temporary solution.

Thanks very much @zenit and other members of the roon team for taking a closer look. That is a real relief that at least it is not a db corruption!

I had actually forgotten about the Mozart 225. We have returned full-time to the town-house only a few weeks ago after a lengthy period elsewhere over Covid. So I fired up some dormant NAS servers that had not been connected to my db for maybe 2 years or so. That is probably why I am noticing issues now.

As a rule, boxes like the Mozart 225 I have split into the original CD’s but that particular one I just couldn’t face the work. Ironically it is largely a duplicate anyway as I have added most if not all of it to my library in 10CD bite sized chunks from Qobuz. For example, it is possible to identify more manageable sections such as “The Complete Quartets” or “Complete Keyboard Music” rather than the whole thing. Much easier to navigate that way.

I’ll remove the Mozart 225 and see how I get on. I am seeing the same issues with major Jazz artists like Miles Davis but so far I haven’t noticed issues with major Pop/Rock artists. I don’t really want to split all the box sets I never got round to. Is there any pattern about the box-sets? So far the range of box set sizes triggering this issue is 35CDs - 225CDs. That’s quite a range!

I think I may have a related bug, but it’s with a 3 disc set. I’m hoping the fix you mentioned will fix my issue as well. I’ll make a separate support post for mine then post a link to it here.

Here’s the thread I just posted.

@Mike_O_Neill,I am curious. I know from your posts over the years that you have a lot of large box sets in your local library. Are you seeing the same behaviour as here? Do you, for example, get “no results found” when searching (magnifying glass) for “Alfred Brendel” or other major artists where you may have a lot of box sets where they are featured?

Maybe you have just removed the box sets from your roon library and only search them in JRiver so this has not come up? It seems to be related to roon’s new strategy of migrating functionality from local servers to the cloud. This is an extreme effect but others are reporting increases in gaps between tracks, skipping tracks and a general lack of responsiveness.

@Tony_Casey Hi Tony

I recently added a 5Tb USB drive to my NUC and bit the bullet , all my big boxes are back in Roon, so everything local is the same in Roon & JRiver now.

I rarely use search like that , I have a separate Tag of my “Top 20 Artists”, “Top 20 New Artists” etc that I use to go to Alfred Brendel > Discography> Local etc which works fine.

Horror of Horrors … Searching for Alfred Brendel I get ONE compilation album , none of his solo Albums or the Big Box 114 that is in my library . I don’t even get him as an artist to drill into

Just “Alfred” brings him up as the top hit , “Brendel” brings up the same compilation album

Just experimenting Georg Solti fails on both names, Claudio Abbado WORKS on both names , Claudio brings up Claudio Arrau as you would expect

All 3 Artists are present as either solo albums and Box Sets (Daniel Barenboim, Martha Argerich , Herbert von Karajan also fail) an artists with NO box set involvement works OK.

Not much point gathering any more data at this stage, it’s seriously broken

For reference I am using NUC10i7 / 4Tb Internal SSD, 5Tb External USB, all ethernet . Searches conducted on Roon UI running on Desktop PC Ethernet to same router as NUC. Same searches on iPad Pro Wi Fi etc give same result. Unlikely to be hardware or network related in this instance

Thanks Mike, that is pretty conclusive.

In my case any big boxes that I dig into on a regular basis I have split into individual CD’s. But the problem, as you know, is that it is pretty hit and miss if there is an original CD that is close enough to identify. Many CD’s will have no separate releases except the box itself so I just end up with a mish-mash of original CD’s and ungrouped CD’s with individual art work I identify as part of the original box. I then join the split box together with a tag so I can browse the entire box visually. I wonder if my habits are making search worse.

But I have many boxes I had no intention of splitting because life is too short and I just wanted the individual compositions to show up in the composition browser (which they do) or in radio (which I won’t use for Classical, so it doesn’t matter).

I have tried removing that box from my library. I then cleaned library and rebooted roon core. Subjectively, response is more snappy and the gaps between unrelated tracks in playlists I have tested are much reduced. I don’t know if this is because of removing the box-set or re-booting the core. Probably a bit of both?

Unfortunately it has had no effect on search. So probably as you say it is more complicated and multiple box sets are involved. It is probably different box-sets depending on the search.

Maybe there is another temporary solution you mention?