Graphics screwy since latest update - MS Surface 3

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MS surface 3, Roon 1.7 / B521.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Not relevant

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
N/A

Description Of Issue
Since Latest update the Black / grey levels in roon are totally screwy. Was absolutely fine pre update and every other application looks perfect.

Image attached, you can see some albums have true Black, while others that should have Black / grey in them appear washed out and pale. This only happens in Roon and all other applications work perfectly

Is the core (surface) the control device as well?

At the moment yes. I’m between houses and my core is in storage. So I’m using my licence to give me better control over my tidal subscription and using my surface as core and playback for headphone listening

They pushed the graphics in the last release and there are anomalies in a few graphics cards. Work is ongoing for a fix for old Android and some specific cards but no idea if it includes yours.

Hi @David_Crosbie1,

We are aware of a few reports of this behavior and we are looking into it. Our next Roon release has some changes coming which will hopefully help you here as well. For any status updates, please refer to this thread:

Once the new release is finalized and published, we can circle back to see if it has resolved the issues on your end as well. Thanks!

Hello,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains improvements that we believe will help with the issues you are experiencing here. Please see our release notes below:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

Will try that tonight. Thanks

Didn’t help. Still looks rubbish. This is a surface 3 with Intel HD chipset. It’s not that old and not that obscure. Every other app in existence seems to have no issue with this chip.

This is my primary control mechanism, and my continued use of roon will depend on this working better than it currently does.

The Black issue around interstellar is particularly horrific here.

Yes, it’s a known issue. I’m seeing the same thing on my Surface 3. The Roon Labs team have been collecting logs from some of us who are affected by this. I think we can assume that they are investigating a fix.

Yes Geoff, if you look up they just suggested they’d done a fix.

I was confirming that their fix has had no effect.

The fix was for some other graphics issues - it just didn’t have any affect on ours… :slightly_smiling_face:

Apparently, but again, as you’ll see, they specifically suggested it would. I’m merely confirming the opposite.

They specifically suggested that they believed it would help… :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @David_Crosbie1,

We did release an update that made some changes in this area which seems to be working for some GPU devices, but unfortunately it looks like some GPUs are still affected. Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link?

Thanks!

Hi @David_Crosbie1,

We’re still looking into this issue, but can you please confirm a few other aspects?

1. Before this upgrade, did you notice an issue with colors being “too dark”?

2. Can you open you start menu and type in “System Information” and share a screenshot of the System Summary tab?

Thank you!

No issues prior, all looked fine.

Hi @David_Crosbie1,

Thank you for sharing those screenshots, I have attached them to your case notes and have informed QA. This investigation is still ongoing, but if we require further information from your end, we’ll be sure to let you know. Thanks!

1 Like

No worries.

A lot better in this latest release. Still not 100% but it is at least bearable.