Having issues since the last couple of Roon updates

I have updated my Nucleus to build 1234– no difference. My tablet is running build 1219, which appears to be the most current version also.

Above, you suggested I check whether “Roon has the proper exceptions to connect to our server.” I asked for clarification and instructions about that, but I got no response. As for doing “a full reinstall on the web UI” is that self-explanatory? You also did not follow up on the above suggestion that I may need to change some “advanced settings” on my router.

Hey @Scott_Klein,

Per the image you’ve shared of your router, I’m not actually able to see the specific model name, can you please provide it?

This is in regards to the firewall settings on your router. Without the specific model, I can’t give you the specific step by step on how to access your firewall, but here are general directions that should take you to the correct page :

Make sure both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe are listed as exceptions here. I’d also check these settings on your Eero system as well.

You can access the webUI by following the directions here. Once you pull the webUI up, all you need to do is click ‘Reinstall’ next to ‘Operating System’.

I hope this all makes more sense, thanks, Scott!

My Motorola router is model MG 7700, and the general directions you provided look the same in my software. The relevant page looks just as it does on the sample instructions: IPv4 set to “low,” IPv6 “enabled.” It also says “No ports restricted.” I don’t know if I have to change the settings to allow for specific exceptions for Roon, or if this ought to cover it. I do not know how to check for exceptions in Eero-- I’ve looked through the software settings there without seeing anything obviously applicable.

Right now, through who knows what sequence of fiddling, I now more or less have Roon working with most of my watched folders (which now total around 13000 albums). The problems really reemerge when I ask it to also watch my very largest remaining file on my Synology NAS which stalls it out as I’ve described before.

Does Roon have problems with excessively large files or collections? It would be worth knowing if there are theoretical limitations to the size of libraries it can handle-- although I saw nothing suggesting this before I got a Nucleus.

Scott

Your library is at the bottom end of large, i.e., a Nucleus Plus is recommended for libraries of 12,000 or more albums.

Some users have collections much much larger.

Yes: right now: I only have 13000 albums that Roon is registering in the folders it can watch before it jams. My total collection is over 30000 albums if and when I can get Roon to work while watching my single largest folder in addition to the ones with which it’s currently working.

Hey @Scott_Klein,

After discussing this thread with the team today, we think it’d be a good next step to increase the RAM on your Nucleus. Here is a link to another thread with more info, as well as the specific RAM you can purchase to upgrade to:

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks, Don-- I will try this: I’ve ordered 32 GBs of RAM on two cards and will see if that solves the problem. (On the other hand, before I bought the Nucleus I had increased the RAM on the iMac I was then using for my Roon Core, and that didn’t solve the issue-- which was why I got the Nucleus in the first place). We will see.

I did wonder, however, given that my Roon balks at adding in the largest watched folder on my Synology NAS, whereas it reads the other folders on this NAS well: is there any chance the issue isn’t the sheer size of this remaining file, but some other issue with reading it? Have any other users reported problems with Roon reading particular single folders on otherwise usable NASes?

I’m back for more advice. Here’s the update: I installed 32 GBs of RAM into my Nucleus, but alas, as expected, it didn’t change my problem-- which is getting Roon to process and handle my very largest Music folder on my Synology NAS. I did realize that this folder was created by different means than the others: I had the Synology doing an incremental backup off of my Aurender AC10 while I was ripping the bulk of my media to wav files. Because of that, I discovered, the file system was more complex than I realized, and I had to edit the folder name in Roon to go down two more levels the where the actual music folders were stored.

I had hoped that would solve the problem: but nope. On the bright side, Roon now seems to be processing albums in that folder and adding them to my library, but at a glacial pace. It now recognizes that there are over 190,000 files to process, but is only getting through them at about 1000 a day. I enclose some screenshots. The first one shows the folders my Roon is watching-- the last one is the problematic huge folder in question. I also enclose a shot of where Roon is at after several days of processing, and an error screen I also get. In short, Roon is still not functioning for music listening, unless I disable this large folder from being watched. Doe sany of this make sense from the Roon end?

Hey @Scott_Klein,

Thank you for the update!

Are you able to relocate these backup files to a location completely outside of a Roon-watched folder? This could certainly cause hiccups in functionality.

After doing this, did you also perform a library clean up?

Could you provide an update on your network configuration, and how your Nucleus is currently connected to your network?

I see that you’ve been able to update your Nucleus to the latest build, which had a fix that may help your situation. Are you still having issues?

Hi, Ben,

I’m in the middle of moving the actual music folder in question from the “unreadable” master folder over to one of the folders that Roon is successfully watching. So far it seems to be working: the moved music is showing up album by album on my Roon software. We’ll see if everything will play properly once that full data set (about 9 TBs) is transferred.

I hadn’t known to perform a library clean. I have now done so. I’ll report back when all of the music has migrated (fingers crossed).

1 Like

An update on my continuing problems: as noted above, I migrated the folder containing about half of my music collection (about 10 TBs out of 20TBs total) into one of the folders on my NAS that Roon had successfully watched in the past. All was well for quite a while-- Room began to recognize new albums, and add them to my collection at a reasonable pace. That was 13 days ago. About 2 days ago, though, everything jammed again: I append screen shots of where we currently are.

First, I’m not sure if it should be taking Roon this long to catalog the collection in the first place-- I understand that this is a huge folder. The software seemed to stall suddenly when it was about 4/5ths of the way through. (At this point, it mainly seems to be cataloging HTOA files, if that makes a difference). And while it’s stuck in library-spinning mode, the software is useless for listening to music.

Are there next steps? In theory I can try to re-migrate the huge folder not into another Roon-watched folder, but into its own autonomous folder. That will take some doing-- I don’t have much space left on my NAS-- and then I suspect I’d have to start the Roon cataloging all over again. But right now I’m only going to be in the house with the present audio system for another two weeks-- after that I travel to another state for the summer. Is there anything I can try in the meantime, or will I have to pause my endeavors until next September and then try all over again?

Have you come across problems like this before? And is the collection of a size that threatens Roon’s usefulness? I have, as noted above, increased the memory in my Nucleus X 4 to 32 GBS.

Best,

Scott Klein

Hey @Scott_Klein,

Thanks for the update.

This does make a difference, as to my knowledge, I cannot confirm that Roon supports HTOA files at this time. It could very well be the cause of your import process getting stuck. Where are they located in your subdirectory?

You may need to pause your import to disable your folder containing these files, and remove them, and re-scan that particular folder.

On a separate note, would you be able to send a few of these files over to our team for additional review? Feel free to upload them here.

If necessary I can try to find a sample HTOA (Hidden Track One Audio) track to send. (I should have referred to them as "tracks’ rather than “files”). But these are, of course, simply hidden artifacts when ripping any number of kinds of CDs. Roon pulls them out and identifies them as separate albums with no content. and the rubric “Unknown Artist” (I attach a screenshot). Any user with a music collection ripped from CDs has them, although some systems (like Aurender) don’t seem to notice them.

Hey @Scott_Klein,

What application are you using to rip your albums?

Can you test ripping an album with known HTOA files to FLAC rather than WAV, use file tags, and import to Roon?

With that, our team would like to investigate this issue further, in-house, and would need a copy of the album causing you issues. Feel free to upload them here.

Let me know if you’re able to temporarily move the remaining files/tracks outside of your watched folder, and let me know how things go.

I’m going to have to table this discussion for a few months, as I will be away during the summer at another home (where I have another system that uses Roon, so we’ll see how that goes). I have now been able to move the folder that has been giving me difficulties into its own watched folder, and Roon seems once again to be adding albums to my collection (although rather slower than I would have thought it would). I think I’m going to have no choice but to let Roon run over the next several months on this end and see if it’s successfully cataloged everything and is usable when I return.

I do not think that the issue, however, are HTOA tracks per se. For simplicity’s sake, let’s say that over the last few years I’ve ripped my entire collection of roughly 24,000 CDs into two huge files on my Aurender ACS10, Music 1 and Music 2. I did this using the Aurender ripping software and the Aurender internal drive, helped by a Nimbie (a multiple CD ripper than works with Aurender). I then transferred all of this music to a Synology DAC. I transferred Music 1 laboriously, album by album, in batches using a Mac: Roon appears to read this reconstituted folder without glitching. The only difference between how I handled Music 1 and Music 2 Music 2 is that for Music 2 I set up Active Backup for Business on my Synology to incrementally copy new files to my NAS as I ripped new CDs onto the Aurender. I thought that this would save me a great deal of time and effort. But I now wonder if there’s something about that backup process that creates artifacts that get in the way of Roon reading all of Music 2 without choking (at least thus far).

My goal overall was to digitize my entire music collection, transfer it to a NAS at each of my two homes, and be able to use Roon as the interface at both locations. This summer I will transfer all of the music files to the NAS in my other system, but this time I will do it manually and see what emerges. With any luck, this will show me how to handle the situation here when I return.

Scott

1 Like

Hey @Scott_Klein,

Thanks for letting me know. Happy to pick this up whenever is convenient for you. :+1:

This is certainly something worth investigating deeper. How often does Backup for Business run? Do you have Roon scanning any folders that are tied to your Backup locations? I’d make sure not to run both applications at the same time for further testing. ’

Can you confirm you’ve set this up similarly to the video outlined here?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.