Help me to set up DAC+Apple classical

Hi, I need your collective advice. I’m moving away from Qobuz—don’t ask—and want to use Apple Classical for hi-res music (up to 24/192 I believe, don’t care about Spatial Audio etc).

Apple Classical is available only on iPhone, iPad and Android devices (not Mac). I want to connect it to a DAC over USB and then to my pre amp. As you all know, airplay is not an option for high res files.

What combination of iPhone/Android + DAC to use? I don’t want to buy more gear; I have a spare exasound e38 and a lumin T2. Both are capable of taking 24/192 easily over USB.

How should configure all this? Any suggestions? Anything I should know about connecting the iOS/Android device to the USB? What Android should I use that’s the route to go? Our house is Apple-centric so far.

Also if it helps, for my local music server I use RAAT → Holo Red —> DS DAC. The DS DAC has both inputs taken (the PSA SACD is converted to the other).

Thanks.

I would use an iPad with camera adapter and USB out to your DAC. Get a camera adapter that has a lightening input for your charger to keep the iPad charged while in use. If it’s a newer iPad, you would need a camera adapter with USB C input. They are available on Amazon.

2 Likes

Well here’s a complication. The exasound e38 has a USB type B input. I assume I can connect the lighting camera adapter to a connector to which I connect the usb B port? And of course get bit perfect audio?

It has its own power supply so doesn’t need power through the USB.

You need a lightning camera adapter if your iPad has a lightning output. The camera adapter will have a lightning input so you can plug an Apple charger into it to keep the iPad charged. You’ll need a USB A to USB B cable with that DAC.

1 Like

If I want to connect my USB C-based iPad Pro, I just need to connect a USB C to USB A and then USB A to B cable to it?

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about an iPad Pro but you probably need a camera adapter with USB C connection to the iPad and USB C input for your Apple charger. Then you would need a USB A to USB B cable to the DAC.

EDIT: You don’t need the HDMI port but I haven’t seen one without it. I’m using one of these to send Apple Music on my iPad Mini 6 to a Meridian Prime.

1 Like

There are cheaper and less bulky USB y-adapters on the market with appropriate connectors of your choice.
And I know they work with an iPad USB type C from experience.

If you have an ipad pro with usb-c, I don’t think you need a camera adapter, just use the appropriate sub cable to connect directly to the dac.Same with newer iPhones with usb-c.

But, how do you keep the iPad charged? Get what works.

1 Like

To keep the ipad / iphone charged at the same time, you could use a usb-c hub with PD (power delivery), like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVKTP53

Latest wrinkle. The dac i was planning on using—exasound e38–doesn’t support phones and tablets! Serious wrinkle.

Suggestions for a good dac for the iPad/iPhone? Would Oiler it to have balanced outputs. Less than USD500.

I use three different DAC’s with my iPhone and iPads. None have balanced output. In order of cost…

FiiO KA1
AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt
Chord Mojo 2

Frequently, when away from home for a few weeks, when I run out of cellular hotspot data for Roon on my Dell, I plug my iPhone into my Mojo 2 and use unlimited cellular data for Roon ARC.

1 Like

Those are all for headphone listening. Mine isn’t for headphones. Hence the balanced output

1 Like

Maybe you’ll get some ideas from this thread. I haven’t read through it.

I think I’ll just keep it simple and use a Mac with my exasound DAC. I know it works. Won’t have Apple Classical (main reason to use iPad), but maybe Apple will release it for the Mac.

May I ask why you are moving from Qobuz to specifically Apple Classical? Only because I’ve just done the exact opposite! Am I making a mistake…

Relatively simple. My family already has an Apple One subscription which includes Apple Music. So to me, Apple Music doesn’t cost anything extra. Qobuz requires USD180/yr.

I listen exclusively to classical and jazz. For that Apple Classical now has as extensive a catalogue and same resolution. Any they’ve solved the major classical search and classification problem.

Although Qobuz has a better payment model for artists; which, being a musician myself, made for a difficult decision.

2 Likes

My setup is a bit messier as my streamer doesn’t have a USB B port , so I am using my old (redundant) Audiolab M_DAC as a bridge . Ipad to M-DAC then co ax to Naim Uniti Atom HE

Not sure about the iPads and bits of wire though !!

So you might spend almost $180 or more to switch/change your electronics, that makes no financial sense.
Its possible you spend more on coffee or other less important items per month.
make life easy, keep the subscription
going!

1 Like

I agree with Alex it will cost as much a month or more and the device is out of action for anything else. It’s going back to the dark ages of iPods/iPhones and docks. It will me more hassle and more inconvenience to use AM as it’s not very practical to have a tethered battery device long term and will likely cause the battery to die prematurely. Also remote options are very limited.

This is why One exists to keep users on their platform exclusively not for the good of Music something Qobuz cares more about.