What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2021-04]

Hi all,

As part of the steps to reduce large threads we are closing down the old thread and opening this one. We’re going to try annual cut offs for this topic.

Thanks for your continuing contributions, please continue showing (off) those systems !

1 Like

OK, seems like a good time to jump in. I decided it was time for a good quality DAC component after using Roon with my Denon receiver and OPPO 205 player for almost 2 years. Wanted multi-channel so I went with the new exaSound S88 bundle with the Teddy Pardo Linear power supply. DSD 256 MC and DSD 512 Stereo. Best sound I’ve heard from my system.

5 Likes

SMSL M6 Mini DAC (2016) - £110
Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6 V2 (2014) - £799

1 Like

Very slick. I didn’t know such a thing existed. Will Roon pass the multi channel info to the DAC? For some reason I thought I read Roon did not do multi channel…but I have no idea why that was in my head.

I’ve got a handful of multi channel rips on my NAS and have to use the clunky Oppo-203 interface to play them so I rarely do.

How long have you had it, if short time please give impressions again once you have had time to acclimate with it.

1 Like

Yes the S88 streams 8 channels over the LAN, also via USB but I haven’t tried that yet. Had it for a week and use it 3 - 4 hours every day. Or as many as I can get away with. The Roon Ready LAN interface works perfectly so I haven’t felt the need to try USB yet. I’ve queued up MC DSD 5.0 and 5.1, MC flac 5.1 and 2 channel Flac files at one time and played it all the way through. It switches formats, DSD to Flac and back again without any hesitation. That is what I wanted, and I waited a long time to get one.

4 Likes

Roon Nucleus —> Topping D90 (MQA-capable version - $799)

Setup 1:
Trinnov Altitude32-1632 with optional 3D codec pack (26950 EUR)

Setup 2:
Matrix Audio Element X (3300 EUR)

Setup 3:
Schiit Yggdrasil (with Moon MiND2 Network Player) (2590 EUR + 2500 EUR)

4 Likes

Holo Audio May (level 3) ← 1.536Mhz PCM from HQPe

Formerly PS Audio Directstream with XS4400 transformers and Farad Super 3 analog power supply mods.

1 Like

Setup 1: ARCAM ST60 Streamer ($1500)

Setup 2: Matrix mini-i Pro 3 ($1025) and Apogee Quartet ($1475)

Setup 3: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra + Pre Box S2 Digital ($1250)

Lumin D2

Roon ready
MQA

$3000 Canadian

2 Likes

RME ADI-2 DAC FS (priceless)

6 Likes

I use Wyred 4 sound DAC1 amazing with Wyred 4 sound amplifier ST integrated.
Amazing combo and American made.
Amr
Australia

I use a Rock into a Krell vanguard dac streamer

1 Like

Devialet Expert 220 Pro

1 Like

Intel NUC → SOtM SMS-200 → Daart Aquila DAC

1 Like

Cocktail Audio N25

Roon endpoint
MQA
€ 1.099 in the Netherlands

iMac → Auralic Aries Mini → Chord Mojo

For me, a benchmark DAC3HGC.
£2400

2 Likes

NAD M33 built in DAC.

AudioQuest Niagara 1200 • Cambridge Audio CXC • JKE Hifi Plasma Grade Digital • Mac Mini i7 Roon Server • AudioQuest JitterBug • Blue Jeans Cable Cat 6A • Pink Faun LAN noise isolator • Naim Uniti Atom • Canare L-4E6S • Purifi EVAL1 • AudioQuest Castle Rock • Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE • IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators • ArtSpeak netsnoeren • TIDAL

Where the Naim Atom acts as pre-amp and Roon endpoint. Works like a breeze and love the sound. Paid 2250 Euro for the Atom some years back.