Help us shape Roon's future by sharing your thoughts

Click to read the entire post here

Participate in the Roon User Survey

Dear Roon Community,

As we look towards the next chapter in our story, we’ve been reflecting on our past. We began as a team of seven people in 2015 and are now part of a company of over 30,000. A lot has happened along the way, but we are committed to preserving Roon as you know it while looking to the future.

We’ve always made products for our community of music lovers and audiophiles. Your helpful feedback over the years has shaped the product into what it is today. In this recent acquisition, Harman saw the value in our software and in you - the Roon Community.

As we enter this new chapter, growing in resources and size, it’s more important than ever for us to stay true to our community-led roots. We’re turning our ears to the voices that got us this far. That’s why we need your feedback now more than ever.

We’re launching a user survey to learn from you about what makes Roon special to you, what we need to preserve, and what we need to fix. To build this survey, we’ve read your feedback here on Community, Reddit, and beyond and have spoken to many of you individually. We’ve thought long and hard about the most important questions and done our best to boil things down to the essentials. Now, it’s time to open the door for your input.

Why a survey? Sure, we could look at the data, but where’s the heart in that? We could run the numbers to see who’s still digging in their heels on ancient versions (:mega: looking at you, our two stalwart users still running Roon 1.4), but these numbers don’t tell us the human element of your story. This isn’t about collecting data – it’s about finding the insights that numbers alone can’t convey.

Our main goals with the survey are to learn:

• How Roon fits into your daily life and where it can serve you better.
  • What features and improvements are most important to you?
  • Your perspective on the current state of things.
  • Where should we go next?

While the survey takes only 5 minutes to complete, it will significantly impact the future of Roon. We’re committed to reading every response, and your feedback will be a major factor in where we take the product over the coming months.

To participate, please follow this link: Roon Customer Survey

We’re at a pivotal moment in Roon’s story, and your voice is more critical than ever. Let’s make sure that as Roon grows and evolves, it does so in the ways that matter most to you.

Thank you for being such an integral part of our community. Your support, enthusiasm, and dedication to the world of music and audio excellence inspire us every day.

We can’t wait to hear from you and continue building Roon’s future together.

Warm regards,
The Roon team

14 Likes

Roon: Just FYI, it appears you can take the survey multiple times. I submitted and clicked the survey link again and saw the first question again; however I didn’t proceed the second time.

There’s a thread in support from those in a mini loop within the survey.

5 Likes

I have the same issue - can’t submit my completed survey. Very frustrating :frowning::frowning:.

Some thoughts I could not express in the Survey.

Important features:

• resilience (the decision to allow roon to work when internet is down is most welcome for ex.) and failsafe (when search fails, or meta data does not load in time, the music stream should not be disrupted)
  • backward compatibility, since mobile & tablets app update automatically (I have too many app to handle their update manually) one should not have to upgrade its server and endpoints because some version declare HW obsolete. The arrival of Roon 2.0 cost me a lot of € to upgrade HW that was no longer supported by the roon bridge, just to be able to continue to listen to music.
  • better handling of multitasking, music streaming should be realtime whereas UI display and browsing do not have to be realtime. Realtime should not be mistaken with fast and reactive.
  • improve coding rather than throwing more CPU power or GB of memory to solve a problem.
5 Likes

Thank you. Fixed now!

Will the results be shared with the community?

3 Likes

With highest likeliness, no.

Good survey, I appreciate being asked, interesting that file browsing was mentioned :slight_smile:
At least Roon Labs will know the direction the community want Roon to take.

There was a final question “how can we improve” that flashed up and disappeared before I got the chance to answer.
I went through the survey again and the same thing happened again.

1 Like

Just do it again.

Question ten gives options none of which are suitable for my usage.it does not allow me to carry on with the rest of the survey unless I select something that is incorrect (not what I do).

There should at least have the option to pick “other”
My main music playback is physical media with only occasional use of ripped media when am am doing something else or feel too lazy to change LP sides.

1 Like

I filled out the survey but I would like to reiterate that, as per the Enno announcement, I like this new “Harman” route.
I’ve read all the speculation following that announcement as well as all the speculation following the Harman acquisition announcement and I’m always amazed at how much people can imagine without knowing anything about the “behind the scenes”
I like to evaluate the here and now, and up to now I can be satisfied above all with the direction it is taking (I don’t care if it comes from Roon or from higher-up impositions).
And this survey is further confirmation.
Then if one day things change and I’m disappointed about something, then I’ll think about it at that time.
For now I reiterate my positive thoughts :wink:

3 Likes

The survey has an infinite loop on iOS. Loops from q26 to q15 and you can never finish the questions. Come on Roon, it is not difficult to create a working survey.

1 Like

Physical media is not applicable to Roon, I think it is asking for things pertinent to Roon only.

1 Like

I thought the last Q was 23, after which it thanked me for doing the survey. I’m sure it didn’t go as high as 26. I may be wrong.

The number of questions varies depending if you get supplemental ones for details on your choices.

2 Likes

Hello Roon. The following question could be improved by including other common sources of discovery:

• Magazines, like Gramophone (whether print or digital)
  • Websites that sell music, like Presto
  • Forums, like the Roon forum’s Classical thread (not really “Social Media”)

Some people even discover new music through attending concerts, though this indeed old-fashioned.

7 Likes

Let me just automate this then… amazing that so many responses agree with me!

1 Like

@michael Please make sure to share your take aways of the survey after analyzing the results.

1 Like