Hey Community, let's create an International Jazz Day playlist! Submit your favs by April 20th

4 Likes

5 Likes

Lots of great stuff already mentioned.

Would love to see Fela Kuti included. It’s hard to find a short Fela song. If you’re willing to include a longer track then maybe Gentleman. Of course, Zombie is an amazing track.

4 Likes

:heart:

Also this sounds very nice:

credit @Andreas_Philipp1:

4 Likes

There’s not a lot of vocal jazz suggested:

RoonShareImage-638174338792748881
RoonShareImage-638174339342352778
RoonShareImage-638174340078482797
RoonShareImage-638174341091767697

4 Likes

From SK

3 Likes

CZ

4 Likes

Yet another from Slovakia, unfortunately not much from my country is on Tidal.

3 Likes

What no Louie!!!

What no Count Basie!

What no Benny Carter!

What no Coleman Hawkins!

Tomorrow we cover the forgotten avant garde.

5 Likes

These are great.

Gregory Porter is just simply wonderful. From the album you suggested, “On My Way to Harlem” would be a fantastic choice. It’s an ode to jazz. “You can’t keep me away from where I was born; I was baptized by my daddy’s horn”.

The other track of his that I could see included, which is one of the most uplifting songs ever I’ve ever heard, is Revival from Still Rising. What a track!

Also, Nina Simone. Perhaps this. Or Sinnerman.

5 Likes

Ah yes, I second Susie Arioli

3 Likes

Some good ole British comedy

3 Likes

Some international big bands:
England

Denmark

The Netherlands

Belgium

Austria

France

4 Likes

I don’t think these has been mentioned:

or anything by these guys:

4 Likes

He is no longer among us. Ahmad Jamal. ‘Rossiter Road’ is not the most famous of his recordings. But please listen to what he does on the piano. Marvellous!

3 Likes

Excellent recommendations, everyone! My thoughts for the International Jazz Day list are to balance it with old and new artists as much as possible. There’s so much to choose from when it comes to jazz. We’ll never be able to tackle a comprehensive list; that’s not our aim here. A two - three hour playlist that inspires people to dip a toe into the genre would be great.

I’m all for starting a “Jazz Community” playlist similar to the one we’ve rebooted on the Roon home page for Classical music. We can pull recommendations for that one from this thread

2 Likes

@jamie Did you miss this Post
There is already a Jazz Roon Community playlist. Please have a look and listen. The link to the playlist is in the linked post above. Thanks!

2 Likes

All I saw was 23 hours

3 Likes

Haha, I meant two to three hours

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

1 Like