High CPU usage after adding new files


(Mark Hellkamp) #1

I’ve also been running into painfully slow searches. I can definitely correlate it to higher CPU utilization on my core, generally Roon is consistently taking at least 50% of the CPU when this occurs. It seems to occur after I add new music to the watched folders. Restarting the Roon server process resolves the issue.


Search, Artist Display Are Super-Slow
(Dylan Caudill) #3

Hi @Mark_Hellkamp,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

When the CPU usage is higher is analysis being performed? Do you see a spinner in the upper-right? Once analysis finishes do things return to normal or do you have to reboot?

Did this occur before the 1.6 update?


(Mark Hellkamp) #4

Hi @dylan,

I’m running Roon Server 1.6 build 390 on OSX 10.12.6 on a 2010 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM. I’ve got approximately 60,000 tracks stored on an external USB drive attached to the Mac Mini. The Mac is attached to a gigabit network.

High CPU is observed long after analysis has completed, it generally goes on for days until I get tired of the slow response time and restart the server process. I experienced this issue again a few days ago, I’ve been importing a large batch of new albums over several days and response time continued to get worse. When I imported a final batch of about 30 albums it appeared to get stuck about half way through identifying the tracks. I finally restarted the server process and it completed in a few seconds. It’s been running fine since then but I’ve not imported anything new.


(Ged) #5

Do you know what processor is in the Mac?


(Mark Hellkamp) #6

It’s a 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo. Probably a bit underpowered but it seems to do well most of the time.


(Ged) #7

That’s a big library for that processor iwoukd have thought. especially given the problem symptoms.


(Dylan Caudill) #8

Hi @Mark_Hellkamp,

The MacMini you’re using for your Roon Core falls short of our recommended specs.

Because this device uses a Core 2 Duo processor you may experience performance issues — even more so if the database is not stored on an SSD.

The type of behavior you’re seeing definitely seems like it could be related to poor Core performance. Do you happen to have another machine that meets our requirements that you could try and see if the same behavior occurs?


(Mark Hellkamp) #9

Hi @dylan,

The DB is stored on an internal SSD. Generally it works fine until I start importing albums, then CPU utilization starts jumping up and stays that way until I restart the server process. I’ve had the situation persist for over a week before I got fed up enough to restart the process so it does not appear to be transient. My guess is that the import process is spinning up additional threads that continue to use up resources after the import/analysis process completes. If I had 4 or 8 cores it probably wouldn’t be noticeable but with 2 it’s pushing things too far.

I do realize that I’m running a system that is a bit underpowered so this isn’t a huge deal. It does seem odd that the increased CPU utilization does seem to be tied to the import process though. I’m not sure if this is pointing at a resource leak or if the import/analysis functionality only starts up when first used and I’m seeing the standard behavior.


(Ged) #10

I presume the import is just pushing it over a limit. It does, I believe, go budding the metadata links, finding art etc. Try importing and then just leaving it for however long that takes to see what happens.
Maybe reboot before the import, clean the library etc.
(Or buy a faster PC :wink:)