High resolution audio from Amazon

I don’t do playlist. I just link to albums I like and then listen to full albums.

No. I use my American Express credit card, like I do for most stuff :wink:

1 Like

I used to use AMEX and recall being able to purchase US stuff that I couldn’t do using Visa/Mastercard.

So maybe VPN + AMEX did the trick.

some stats:

For the past three months, Amazon has been analyzing the data on those who upgraded to Amazon Music HD, and they are listening to music 10 percent more with HD than they had been doing in the standard format.

1 Like

Reading that article is promising. Qobuz actually said in a presentation that Amazon could be good for the whole streaming market.

If labels see people are listening longer and artist want to release their whole catalog in hires, that also means those same albums will be available on Qobuz as well.

I also hope this means that Amazon invests in the infrastructure of hires and integrates with roon along with fixing their own software and upgrading their hardware.

2 Likes

We already have Amazon HD in the UK. If you’re a Prime member, it costs about 75% of what Tidal and Qobuz charge.

1 Like

Read this:

Then go pester Amazon. You are pushing against an open door with Roon.

Interesting but Roon is the application that requires renewed memberships to survive once its spent the lifetime memberships money.

Realistically for yearly members Roon needs to ensure its providing the service to its customers to get a membership renewal. I’m looking for Roon to deliver a product I need for $119 a year.

1 Like

It being cheaper is exactly the reason one should stay with Tidal or Qobuz. Please don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater and let massive corporations take over everything. Some things in life one needs to pay for - if you can afford Roon and the requisite hardware to play it though you can probably afford the small difference in price between Qobuz and Amazon.

Personally I hope Roon never integrates Amazon Music (and ftr I’m a Prime subscriber). Soapbox over.

6 Likes

So you are happy to support Amazon as a prime subscriber but that somehow doesn’t clash with the sentiment of not letting massive corporations take over?

1 Like

Honestly I’m not, but my wife and family are, so there’s that. I also think their original TV programming is very good (better than Netflix?). The difference is that when it comes to hi-res music streaming there are already other options on the table (and that actually work with Roon) - Amazon’s offering feels very me too-ish and is able to operate at an extreme loss compared to the others due to their overarching business model. I do shop with Amazon now and then, but not reflexively - lots of things they offer can be found elsewhere cheaper or better, and I try to shop locally as much as I can.

FTR, if you go into the offices of Amazon music in SF you will be greeted by a wall size photograph of mine, so it’s complicated. But it’s possible to parse these things intelligently and somewhat ethically. Just like I no longer would buy a used cd when I can stream it (or download). Buying a used cd doesn’t help the artist at all - at least streaming the same music will put some pennies on their plate.

I think the current Roon product with Tidal and Qobuz will attract most of the existing customers plus plenty of new ones. Adding Amazon does nothing until/unless Amazon gets their act together.

I don’t agree as I like to think that more competition can only be good for our little niche hobby. My household relies on Amazon for most things and find that they make our lives a bit easier.

2 Likes

They already have.

1 Like

For me it is not working either, complains that Amazon Music is not available in my region. Works fine on iPhone and Echo though…

Spotify and Tidal of course work here as well. Amazon Music HD is not available yet either (but the regular Amazon Music Unlimited is).

Qobuz is not any better:

So with Roon, Tidal is the only option at the moment…

1 Like

@Craig_Palmer thanks for your insights… please keep sharing if you hear anything new from your connections!

I thought I had a pretty good vision here (get Jeff Bezos into Roon!):

Spotify or Spotify HiFi in Roon [spotify will not allow this]

What is clear is much change ahead with 5G and emerging technologies.

Agree that Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon are all in precarious position even though they may want to remain independent.

My perfect scenario:
Sharing, playlist, discovery features of Spotify + HiRes + Roon + dynamic mobile solution + multi room slickness of Sonos + artist getting max $

Hard to get it all!

5 Likes

Well I’m back. After a good effort to use Amazon music I just couldn’t take it. It’s sound quality is good but the navigation in the app is terrible. Also I couldn’t find an affordable way to stream the HD music to my system, Roon gives me options for that. I rejoined Tidal my son in college used his student status for a discount.

2 Likes

Jim from the 901 to any other Bose products I would not own one. However if you don’t high performance system it might be the good way to go. Maybe

A post was merged into an existing topic: Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

The latest version of the windows app has exclusive mode. This would allow Roon to work properly with the service.