How do I achieve Lossless streaming from Roon (via MacBook) to Denon AVR-S760H

Roon Server Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hello,

I’m new to Roon, I absolutely love it!

I’d like to stream lossless music (higher than CD quality) to my Denon AVR-S760H, it seems to cap at 44.1, but I’d like to enjoy some albums I’ve found at a higher rate on Tidal (via Roon). How can I go about this? Would a WiiM Mini or Pro work?

Many thanks!

Do you have a link to the Denon AVR-S70H with specs? Can’t find it on Denon’s website and Google finds only Denon AVR-S750H and similar, I suppose successors or something

Edit: Ah I see you wrote Denon AVR-S760H in the title, just missed a digit in the post. Back soon…

Thanks so much, I’ve edited my post to avoid confusion.

It seems to have an optical and HDMI inputs. How are you connecting it now?

Some MacBooks had an optical out hidden in the headphone jack. Newer ones don’t, I think, so it depends on the MacBook you have.

Other MacBooks have a HDMI out, so this might work, too:

Not sure about the Denon capping currently at CD quality, but I’d be surprised if this was all it’s capable of on digital inputs.

If you don’t want to run a cable from your MacBook, and generally probably the better solution, a preferably Roon Ready streamer would work if it can output HDMI or optical. I don’t think the Wiim Pro is Roon Ready yet, at least it apparently wasn’t on Oct 4:

Alternatives would be the Bluesound Node but it has no HDMI just Toslink optical (which is capped at 96 kHz - really more than enough, but just saying). The iFi Zen Stream has a Coax (end else USB but this doesn’t help) output and you’d need an extra (small) box to convert to Toslink.

Else I dunno. Maybe you can also rig up a Raspberry Pi with Roon Bridge installed if it can be had with appropriate outputs

1 Like

Thanks so much for your response, and so fast!!

I did try the HDMI in to MacBook Pro route and it worked with Tidal…for a while, now it’s just random when sound outputs. I’ll try tomorrow via Roon, but yea I would prefer a wireless option.

I think I have found the problem - It seems that Roon is using Airplay (capped at 16-bit/44.1kHz) to stream to the AV receiver. Apparently the Denon is Roon Tested Denon - Roon Labs. Wondering what that means in terms of bitrate, does Tested vs Ready allow for different rates?

Your suggestion of a Roon Ready streamer sounds like a great solution. I’ll dig a little deeper in to this.

Thanks for your time!

That makes sense

I see, Denon don’t mention this on their website. The difference is not the rates. Roon Ready means that the device has Roon’s network stack built in, so it can be simply connected to the network and the Roon server can talk to it. (That, and it has undergone certification by Roon). Roon Tested is, well, tested to work but can’t itself stream Roon natively over the network:

Regarding streamers, a small computer like an Intel NUC (and with Roon installed) should also work with HDMI out. With Roon / Roon Bridge installed it can also stream Roon natively.

Ah ha, so it’s about the systems talking to each other? Is Roon Tested then useless? For this purpose anyway.

It seems that Darko Audio reckons the Wiim Pro is Roon Ready… The WiiM Pro is now Roon Ready | Darko.Audio

I might give that a go, as it’s pretty cheap on Amazon now at £120.

Yep, about the ways they can

Yeah it’s more relevant for direct connection to a computer running Roon.

Hold on…will the (Roon Ready) Wiim Pro just use Airplay to stream? Therefor capping at 16bit/44khz? Or will it use the Wi-Fi network allowing for higher res?

Get a Raspberry Pi 4 and run RoPieee to feed your Denon via USB. The RPi4 can use Roon RAAT via WIFI from your router.

EDIT: I don’t see a USB port so you would have to include a HAT on the RPi4 with an output that matches the Denon input.

EDIT2: I like the Wiim Pro idea.

If it’s Roon Ready it uses Roon‘s RAAT protocol to stream, that’s the point of Roon Ready

1 Like

Amazing, thank you so much for your swift responses!

1 Like

Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

Take a look as this allows control of your Denon Receiver and lossless playback wirelessly.

Others have run the APP on the Mac or you could run via extension manager on a raspberry pi or similar.

1 Like

Thanks for this Peter, I had a run at installing RHEOS this morning but as entire novice of any development software/coding/terminal use…it was over my head to be honest. Wondering if you could provide a step by step Mac guide for a total novice?

To be honest the best move for you, if you are able, would be to look at extension manager on a raspberry pi. These are now more readily available and will allow you to run several helpful extensions if needed.

From there you can use RHEOS easily and reliably.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.