I'm starting to get a little fatigued with Roon's playback drawbacks

Thanks for your historical remarks and the link to Wendell Hicken! Maybe this guy just needs a small push towards roon to get things going ;). Will contact him through LinkedIn…

Excellent!

I should add, I hope the Roon team figures out how to get shuffle/radio to choose the highest quality copy of a song rather than having it focus so much on the tracks from the “greatest hits” types of collections. In other words, I have a lot of 24/192 albums, yet Roon will play a track from the greatest hits at 16/44 while the same track, at higher quality and probably a better mastering, is available on the 24/192 version. There seems to be some bias towards greatest hits collections in the current version.

That is a minor gripe, though, if Roon is going to roll out some play selection features. Really looking forward to ways to make the collection feel new again!

2 Likes

Great news thanks for letting us know.

What was the name of that Smiths song - “how soon is now”? :wink:

.sjb

1 Like

I thought I was clear on that… “very” :wink:

6 Likes

It has been over a month since the last release and it is nearly Christmas so… :smile:

2 Likes

In Rooniverse, slow updates = team hard at work = big things ahead.

4 Likes

I purchased the lifetime license early this year. I strongly agree with your post. The same frustrations are making me switch to BlueSound’s app, and even iTunes or Remote app on Apple devices (which is in itself a huge step down and makes me feel more miserable). Every abused repeat song on shuffle play or radio feels like a slap in the face…

I keep hoping to find this fix on every software update, but nothing…

4 Likes

I start by playing the playlist. Look at the list view of what’s playing. There is a little shuffle / no shuffle icon that you hit once and it shuffles the playlist. If it is hit again it goes back to the straight play mode. I like to add four or five albums together and then shuffle. If there are too many from same album in a row just hit the icon twice and it reshuffles what is left.

1 Like

Thanks, that was well hidden.

I simply turned off the Radio function and Roon started to shine again. And yes, it forced me to be more active on my own music selection after the queue runs out.

2 Likes

This is probably my only complaint about Roon at this point . It needs radio improvement big time.

2 Likes

I’m curious, why would you want to listen to a radio station at MP3 quality instead of Tidal with hires and MQA quality?
I think roon does a great job of combining tidal albums with my 3TB of ripped music. Shuffle works fine, when I pause playback in shuffle mode for an artist for an hour or for days, when I click continue it starts off where it left off

@maximasr

The Radio function is (currently) only able to mix in Tidal tracks you’ve already added to your library. The Radio function is separate and distinct from the Internet Radio station list one can manually add…I think many get the two confused when these discussions occur.

The two issues in James’ original post are my only real complaints about Roon.

Especially in regard to the track-grouping behavior that can’t be turned off. I have no classical music in my library so just the ability to turn track-grouping on/off would help out a lot.

2 Likes

Spotify has had and still has the same issue for years now. Still unresolved. In my opinion, Roon us slaightly better on the randomness than Spotify.

I guess the good news is Danny is actively making it clear some radio improvements are coming. So that’s good enough for me.

1 Like

Yep, I am excited to play with it. Hope it comes out before x-mas as we have a couple weeks off that I’d like to spend partly on playing with a new Roon release. And oh yeah, right, spending time with the family…:grin:

4 Likes

the radio changes are out and so far the feedback has been good…

3 Likes

Listening now. Definitely different. Enjoying the tunes, that is for sure. It will be interesting to try to discern the patterns!

I’ve set this thread to close in 24 hours as many of the things it discusses have been addressed in Roon 1.4. There is a Roon 1.4 Feedback thread, please let us know what you think of 1.4 in that thread. If there are matters that you would like to discuss that have not been addressed by 1.4 please start a new thread, they could get overlooked if just added on to this thread here.

3 Likes