Installing HQPlayer on a separate NUC

My friend uses the same device as me and he gets 11,2M but he has the embedded version! Whats the difference to Windows?
Is there a simple instruction step by step to install the embedded version on my NUC? I am a highfidelity nerd but not a computor one!

You have default output mode set to “source” which means HQP will output the same format as the source. If you want to upsample to DSD then set the default output mode to SDM (DSD).

You should also adjust the volume control to give yourself -3dB headroom to avoid limiting from intersample peaks.

The HQP manual is in the folder where the program is located. It is well worth reading to understand the various control options.

Thank you Andy! I have done this but I dont get DSD 11,2M!
I am reading and trying to Understand!
A simplified installation guide for embedded is What I am looking for!

Well 11.2MHz is DSD 256. So select a bit rate in SDM defaults of 44.1x256. At the moment you have it set for DSD 2048, which is beyond the capability of most DACs.

I don’t know of any guide to install Embedded. Try a google search.

There’s an install guide for HQPlayer Embedded on the Signalyst site.

https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html?

I found another guide here.

I really would advise against Linux and HQP Embedded unless you are at least a medium level computer user. It is a steep learning curve for novices.

1 Like

Thank you Andy! I will think twice before I do it! Maybe my friend who has done it can help?!

Have you installed your DAC’s driver or are you running on Windows’ default driver? If you install a driver specific to your DAC / USB interface, you will usually get ASIO driver as well these days. If you stick to Windows default driver you have only WASAPI and can get DSD output only through DoP which will limit the output rate possibilities in most cases (not with something like RME ADI-2, but with many others).

Difference is driver, Linux has DSD capable driver built into the OS, unlike Windows or macOS.

And as @andybob said, you also need to set default output mode to “SDM (DSD)” instead of “[source]”.

I have already lost a context in the lengthy discussion what is the DAC in question here?

Embedded is intended for device firmware, and is pretty easy when you buy a device that has it pre-installed (there are at least Antipodes, iCat, Pink Faun and SGC sonicTransporter).

It is also offered for DIY builders separately, either as package for various Linux distributions, which requires quite some Linux knowledge to get up and running. Or as bootable HQPlayer OS image which is almost as easy as buying a device with pre-installed HQPlayer Embedded.

I have changed default output mode to SDM but no difference!
The DAC is Yulong DA9, I have downloaded the DACs driver with XMOS xCore USB Audio 2.0!
It worked perfectly with Roon DSP and played DSD 11,2M!

…also with Roon on a Windows computor!

Well, as I understand it the only way to get DSD 11,2M in my system is to use the embedded version! Jussi, you said I can download embedded os parallell with Windows but reading the install guide from D Vaidya the disc will be wiped! Are there different methods?

You can download the bootable HQPlayer OS image, write it to a USB memory stick using balenaEtcher or similar and then boot it up. That’s pretty much it.

It has web configuration interface and you can find IP of the device using HQPlayer Client (shipped with HQPlayer Desktop). Unfortunately Roon doesn’t support this HQPlayer auto-discovery yet.

If it for some strange reason doesn’t have ASIO driver included, you can try to enable “DoP” as “SDM Pack” method with WASAPI backend in HQPlayer settings. This enables you to do some DSD, but it may limit the maximum DSD rate you can get. If the device can support up to 768k PCM, then you could get up DSD256 this way.

What bit rate do you have set in SDM Defaults ?

I have now changed to DoP and it playes 5,664M!

I have DSD 256 and DSD 512 with the same result above 5,664M!

…but the DAC says 352,8k??

Roon says DSD 128! Is that eqvivalent to PCM 352,8k?

Jussi, which one do I choose ( ” you can download Hqplayer OS”?
Desktop Ubuntu?

Ok! I will try embedded!

I have installed embedded! How do I find it?