Intermittent Lost Connection [Resolved]

@support

I am new to Roon and having intermittent connection/playback problems.

I have an elaborate network primarily used for a home technology lab and home automation.

Core: Roon Version 1.4 (build 300) stable (64 bit) on a linux virtual machine with Ubuntu 16.04.4 fully patched and up to date. 64 gb of SSD disk storage and 16 gb of memory allocated. Two cpus (Xeon class on this particular host) allocated to the core.

Control: Roon Version 1.4 (build 300) stable (64 bit) on a Windows 10 Pro PC.

Endpoint: Naim Uniti Atom

Music Library: Three watched folders on a Synology SD 716+ consistent primarily of FLAC files with a mix of Apple lossless and WAV files.

Network:

The vmware host with the Core and the NAS are both connected to an HP 1820-24G switch.

The HP switch is connected to a Trendnet 16 port TEG-S16D unmanaged switch via Cat 6 cable.

The Windows 10 pc and Naim Uniti Atom are each connected to the Trendnet swith via Cat 6 cable.

Issues:

Periodically while playing a file stored on the NAS the controller reports that it can’t connect to the core. The problem tends to self-correct swiftly.

Periodically the music stops playing on the Naim without a connection problem being reported. I need to restart the song.

Thank you for the feedback @Richard_Robbins and sharing these observations you have made with us. The insight is appreciated!

If I am not mistaken the HP 1820-24G is a managed switch and we have seen a few issues crop up with these devices in the past ( Example: #1, #2, #3). I would recommend enabling flow control on the switch, as we have seen it help other users.

Additionally, you mentioned that when music stops playing to the Naim Uniti Atom without a “connection problem is being reported”. Can you confirm the exact error message being generated by the application.

-Eric

@eric @support

I enabled flow control on the switch and the problem persists.

The error message says “LOST CONNECTION TRYING TO RECONNECT - SELECT ANOTHER ROON CORE”

Here’s a screenshot of the complete message:

2018-03-07_19-03-13

Thanks for the follow up @Richard_Robbins and giving the proposed test a shot, both are appreciated!

Continuing forward, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so we can take a closer look into this behavior you are experiencing with your Roon setup. However before I enable this feature may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• Please reproduce the issues you are experiencing and note the time of day when the observations are made.

“Periodically while playing a file stored on the NAS the controller reports that it can’t connect to the core. The problem tends to self-correct swiftly.”

“Periodically the music stops playing on the Naim without a connection problem being reported. I need to restart the song.”

Once I have a clear sense as to when the errors occurred I will go ahead and enable diagnostics. Many thanks!

-Eric

Thanks @eric @support I am going to experiment a little bit first.

I’ve replaced the virtual machine with a suitably strong Macbook positioned in the same spot on my network to see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

@eric @support

I’m not sure why I had problems with the virtual machine, but moving to a physical machine solved the problem. I’ve run with my old Macbook in a number of places on my network and then moved to a NUC running Rock that is connected directly to the managed switch that is at the backbone of my network.

All is well.

Thank you.

Hi @Richard_Robbins ---- Thank you for the follow up and sharing the observations made during your troubleshooting, both are very appreciated!

I wanted to check in and see how things have been holding up since you switching over to ROCK.

-Eric

Solid. Everything is solid.

Great! Very please to hear that @Richard_Robbins.

Happy listening!
-Eric

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.