Internet radio drop outs

Hi,

I was very happy with Roon’s support for internet radio and listened on a daily basis for many months without a hitch. Yet in the last few weeks the audio stream is interrupted again and again. When I switch to Sonos to see if it might be the stream itself, there are no problems, so the problem appears to be a Roon one. Could someone from Roon please comment on this and suggest what they are doing to remedy the drop outs.

PS. I am in Germany

Moving this to the #support section.

I’m sure that when @support checks in on this, they’ll want to know URLs of some radio stations you’re having trouble with–can you share some?

1 Like

Sure:

http://icecast.vrtcdn.be/klaracontinuo-high.mp3

Hi @Luke23 ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us.

Upon seeing Brian’s flag for “support”, I setup a Roon core to test the provided URLs. Streaming both for an hour and half each and during that time I have experienced no dropouts with either stations, which tells me something else must be going on here.

To better evaluate this behavior may I kindly ask you please to provide the following:

• A brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• Do you experience any dropouts when streaming content from your personal music collection OR from TIDAL?

• Since noticing this behavior have you tried rebooting not only your core machine but also your endpoints and any relevant networking hardware as well?

-Eric

Hi,

Thanks for taking the trouble. To answer your questions.

No. I don’t have any dropoiuts playing either my own collection or Tidal.

I have rebooted the MacMini on which Roon runs perhaps once or twice since the dropouts began and have noticed no improvement. I cannot remember whether the entworking hardware has been rebooted. I have noticed the dropouts both on an endpoint connected via the LAN and one connected over WiFi. In the latter case it might have been the connection. The former is my usual listening setup though.

System:
MacMini late 2011 connected to LAN
Router Asus RT-AC66 with Asus-WRT Merlin
Output to a few Sonos Plays (5 and 3) but mainly to Kii Three active speakers (LAN connection)

Hope this suffices. As I said, only happens with the above-mentioned radio stations but does not happen when I listen to the same stations via Sonos controller.

Hi @Luke23 ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested information. Both are very appreciated!

I touched base with some members of our tech team today to discuss this behavior you are experiencing with mentioned internet radio stations and as per the conversation may I kindly ask you for the following:

• Please provide insight into what the frequency of the dropouts are like when you try to use the provided URLs in Roon. The team would like to have a better idea of how often the dropouts occur.

• I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior. However, before I enable this feature could you please for the following:

• Reproduce the issue and note the time when error occurs.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

The dropouts are not that frequent but had just occurred when I mentioned it here. I’ll keep an eye on them and let you know when the next one occurs. I can add, however, that the last time they occurred they kept on occurring for about 10 minutes before I gave up.