Internet Radio FLAC Stations Swap Meet

Anyone knows how to make JB Radio shows what is currently playing???
I’m using this url: http://stream.jbradio2.ca:8888/flac

Thanks

Only the MP3 stream has data embedded, most (all?) flac streams do not.

1 Like

Not possible in Roon, but JB2 have a website which shows now playing and playlist history.

Not listened to Absolute Radio for a couple of weeks and now it won’t work. Have I missed the post with the reason why and the new URLs? I listen to the 60s and 70s stations.

Found this on their site. Don’t know whether you’ve seen it, but here it is anyway:
https://absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/links/

Many thanks. Unsure how I missed that. Hopefully not another ‘senior moment’!

Just looked and not a senior moment. These are the links I have already been using and have suddenly stopped working (I use the flac links). When I try to play the station I get “Unable to play this station. Its address may have changed or it may be temporarily unavailable.” Do these links work for you?

Absolute Radios are not working for me now. Anyone else having the same problem?

Me neither. When I copy and paste the url from the site recommended above I get the dreaded “Roon cannot find a radio station…” message

I also have the same problems with the Magic group - Magic Chilled Processed, Mellow Magic and Magic Soul.

Your ID’ing Sector Radio as an “oligarch’s son’s plaything” made me choke on my lemonade. A couple of the best radio stations I’ve had the pleasure to listen to were exactly that. WHFS, in the DC area (broadcasting from Annapolis MD) was exactly that. Three of the DJs were from the Einstein family, not sure where the family money was from… none of them used their real surname until later on, Damien, who was in a terrible car accident that impaired his speech, started. Weasel was also an Einstein. Encyclopedic music knowledge, no playlists, just strung together sets that were beautiful works of art themselves. They had a DJ who went by BobHere who was a master at sets. The DJs who came after his show often came on cursing about how they have no idea how to follow up on what he’d just done. Bless those oligarch kids. They had a decent set of advertisers, but not enough to be making money.

I spent a year teaching and acting in Sydney Australia back in 1980, and there was a similar station. Only came in after noon, went off the air around 3 or 4am. A couple of the DJs sounded very much alike. Wild tastes. Hardly any ads.

3 Likes

Just a heads up. I haven’t updated the links in the first post as I’ve been helping with Radio Curators. I will look at it over the next few days but this thread will become redundant when the new Internet Radio hits.

1 Like

What’s new with the Internet Radio? and when can we expect it to be available? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

There’s a user participant project underway creating a categorised directory of radio stations that will eventually be made available in a revamped Internet Radio Browser. I understand there are over a hundred Radio Curators and so no more are needed at this stage.

In my view the project has been a huge success and created a deep and broad directory. There is an element of re-inventing the wheel here, but this way Roon doesn’t have to divert any subscription funds to payment of further licence fees and we get Radio stations that Roon users actually want to listen to.

The directory includes all the working FLAC stations in this thread and any other stations that the Radio Curators listen to or think others might want to listen to. I understand Curators will continue to have an ongoing role adding further user suggested stations and maintaining the directory after release.

As to the timing of any release including the revamped Internet Radio Browser:

schultz

Not kidding ! I actually know nothing.

3 Likes

The Absolute Radio links have been stripped of the FLAC streams, also Icecast links for Magic Radio FLACs are down. That’s been the case for at least a week now. Don’t know if they’re doing anything, or just gave up.

I loved WHFS!!! Is there anything like it today on the Internet Radios? I had no idea their family connection… what are they doing now?

Radio Paradise. When I first found it I mentioned WHFS on their forum, and there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of former HFS fans. They have an excellent FLAC stream (you can find the URL in this thread). Their 320K stream is also pretty good, better sounding than a couple others I’ve listened to, and with that stream all the metadata flows through. On my second tier systems, I listen to the 320K (the difference to lossless is minor on those lesser systems).

They say a lot less than HFS DJs, but, they do amazingly beautiful sets, often with themes that you suddenly notice about the fourth song in, a lot like BobHere.

2 Likes

I’ve listened to RP in spurts but never drew that connection. I will give it another go with that in mind. I felt HFS was more “new music” and RP more classic on first impressions. I’m listening to JB radio too.

I listened to JB Radio but I HATE how they’ve DSP’d the overall sound. It’s whomping bass, extremely forward midrange. When I tried them a couple days ago, after two songs, I listened to the same songs from my server, and that’s shut me off from JB until they stop messing with the mix that the artists and their producers worked so hard to achieve.

RP is different in that they do a lot of music from other countries, and aren’t afraid to slip Louie Armstrong or The Rite of Spring into a set. BobHere used to do that, but not as much. RP, on their web interface, show you all the info for each song, which includes how often they’ve played it in the last 30 days. The average is 2…

1 Like

I’ve really been enjoying RP. It has become a firm favorite (others include 3RRR, FIP and Planet Pootwaddle). I even slipped them a small donation and bought one of their hoodies.

2 Likes