Internet Radio FLAC Stations Swap Meet

A post was split to a new topic: Internet Radio Stations and Core change

I just want to say I’ve been listening to the JB Radio-2 station and am really enjoying it. So much so that I’ve almost stopped listening to Radio Paradise. It just sounds so much better! I do hope RP will eventually (soon) allow flac streaming to Roon in order to have more choices. Any other flac stations with the same style content as JB Radio? I’m almost ready to dump Tidal.

1 Like

Agree 100%! I too have stopped listening to Radio Paradise as the JB Radio stream is much better sounding. I can happily listen to JBR all day long as their programming is fantastic and a great way of finding new bands to explore.

I enjoy jb radio as well but wish they didn’t boost the bass so much. It’s sounds like a 6dB low pass filter has been added.

1 Like

Not sure what you are hearing but I don’t this it is a low pass filter. A low pass filter won’t boost anything as far as I am aware. It only attenuates at frequencies above the set point.

I don’t know about bass boost, but they are shaping the sound. They’re certainly much louder than any other stream I’ve listened to, and I’ve heard clipping a few times. I also don’t believe that they actually have 24/192 source material for everything they play. I still like listening, but don’t expect unadulterated sound. It sounds way too good for that, especially for older stuff.

1 Like

Sure, but the net is the bass is higher than all other frequencies.

They’re boosting it to an unnatural level, but hey, it’s free…for now.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Internet Radio URL Swap Meet

I’ve been thinking about how JB Radio 2 can use high-res, and I remembered a technique to compress high-res music quite substantially. I wonder if they are using a FLAC Entropy Optimizer? That would explain how they can use 192kHz. It’s available for commercial use.

Okay so I have reviewed and searched this entire discussion (aka thread) and please correct me if I’m wrong but there does NOT appear to be any internet radio stations/streams that stream in FLAC. Right?

They are listed in the first post.

Oops my mistake - I left out the word “jazz”. I am looking for station that play jazz and stream in FLAC. There is no indication of what type of music the stations on the list play. Does anyone know if any of these stations play jazz?

2 Likes

Are there any good stations for punk and ska music?

Lets keep this thread alive, any more working commercial free flac stations out there?

@brian any planned improvements in Roon for Internet Radio? It feels like its an area that can be improved a lot.

1 Like

Yeah, we’ve had a directory of radio stations in the works for a while. It will get done eventually.

3 Likes

http://audio-3.radioparadise.com:8000/flac

Radio Paradise experimental flac stream URL. It’s probably already been posted but thought I’d put it out there just in case.

Steve

6 Likes

I am just starting with my exploration of internet radio via Roon. Radio Paradise sounds pretty darn good to me, but JB2 sounds like someone has pumped up the bass to the point of distraction.

Other experiences?

1 Like

Yes, I use this for JB Radio 2 only.

Yep, that could work. Too bad I have to set up an EQ for one station. Hope it is worth it! Thanks for confirmation that the problem is at the source, not in my cabinet.

Well, given that it’s a free stream, the price to pay is still quite small.