[Investigation ticket in] Sudden Device Disconnection and Music Interruption

I have an earlyaccess core running on my QNAP TS-873. Recently, I’ve been noticing sudden stopping of my music and all my devices on my system disconnecting. No errors, I just get this for a few mins:

image

The behavior is similar to this:

I haven’t made any changes to my system and the only other change to my network recently was adding a new unmanaged switch. However, this switch is not connected to my QNAP so I don’t see why this would be causing the issues.

I’ve noticed that the CPU activity on my QNAP is unusually high when these errors occur but then it goes back to normal eventually. I’m not sure why the activity is high because I’m not really running anything else on the NAS. Typically when Roon is running smoothly I see about 20-30% CPU usage. I have basically stopped all non-essential processes on the NAS.

If I stop Roon on the NAS and restart, it usually fixes the problem, but it takes several minutes each time and is time-consuming, when I want things to “just work”… :frowning:

I should note that everything is wired. No wifi, and this affects all remote devices. I’m not sure what else to do at this point. For now, I will remove that new switch to see if that makes any difference…

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I’m having the same issue. Even after removing that switch. Any ideas?

Hi, @J_B, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the description of your issue. Am I getting it right that you are not seeing neither network zones located on other machines nor local zones connected directly to your QNAP (if there are such)?

Also could you, please, confirm that the last time saw the issue happening was on May 13th at around 9am? I am asking because I’d like to request a diagnostics report and explore if there are any reports related with this timestamp.

Thanks!


Ivan

I don’t have any local zones directly connected to the QNAP. But regardless, all zones disappear.

The last time I saw it happening was yesterday.

Lately, I’ve mainly been listening to a box set with over 200 CDs. I never really experienced problems until I started listening to that. Could that be a potential cause?

Thank you for the reply! Quick question, am I getting it right that the reboot is the only way to get out of this state for you or zones might come back on their own after some time?

Thanks!


Ivan

They come back after a time most of the time, but the problem keeps happening. If I reboot, then there is a longer time period before it starts happening again.

Several iterations of versions later, I’m still experiencing the same problems. So sluggish and almost unusable :frowning:

So another update. I stopped listening to my Mozart complete works album (200 CDs, 241 hours) for awhile and the Core has been much more stable. Still sluggish and occasionally disconnects but when I tried to listen to Mozart again the same behavior occurred immediately and very frequently.

So I suspect this has something to do with the number of tracks? Or maybe something else related to the size of the album? Any thoughts?

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response here. When you say that you are listening to this large boxset, could you, please, elaborate how exactly does your listening procedure look like? Are you adding all the tracks in the Queue or are you doing something else?

Thanks!


Ivan

Hi, no, I’m not adding all tracks to the queue as that isn’t a reliable way of play through all the tracks (hence my feature request here and to a lesser extent here). Also, the queue doesn’t show play counts so I have no way of pick-up where I left off.

I screen captured a typical procedure on what I more or less normally do to get going. The main thing is to get to the album itself so I can see the play counts. Because I restarted the Core just before doing the recording there are minimal delays (although still some) in actually playing the tracks. If you want, when the disconnection happens, I can make another recording.

Recording linked here.

Here is the disconnection behavior in action.

Note that the music had suddenly stopped before I started taking the screen capture even though it still said it was playing. As you can see at the end of the video, I try to play again but it just loops that disconnection and “No audio devices found”. A restart of the Core fixes it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for your response, @J_B, I will take a look at the data you provided.

Thanks!


Ivan

Could part of the issue be that I have nearly 100,000 tracks in my library? I’m wondering if I should migrate to a ROCK, but I’d like to know before I invest the money and time to do so…

Hi, @J_B, we are still investigating your case at the moment. Could you, please, do the following:

  1. When the issue happens once again, note the the time stamp when it occured
  2. Use the directions found here and send over a zip archive with logs to our File Uploader?

Thanks!


Ivan

It just happened (this time listening to an album on Tidal), and I restarted the server. I’ve downloaded the logs and uploaded them per your instructions. I separated the Roon Server logs into two files because, for some reason, the zip file was over 100MB. But when I separated the logs the total came to only 14 MB, weird. Anyway, you should have them now, let me know if you need anything else. Thank you.

I too am experiencing the same issue with normal playback kept thinking it was the wi-fi system that’s dropping the signal but not the case

So, I just got back from two weeks of vacation. I updated Roon to its latest update and I still have the same issues. I will restart the Core server and it will likely fix it for awhile…