iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

Hey @Michael_Dollan,

Thanks for following up and letting me know! Could you share a timestamp when you get the issue to recur?

After digging into your account further, the issue you’re experiencing is a more widespread issue that we are currently tracking and working on a fix. The good news here is that we have a solution we’re implementing soon! You can check this thread for updates.

If you’d like, we can look into making a backend settings change to your account to potentially improve behavior in the meantime. We’ve seen it help with users running into the same issue on iOS and Apple devices. Let me know if this is something you’d like us to do :pray:

Thanks, Michael!

Hi @Benjamin-thanks for looking into this. If there is anything you can change your end, please feel free to do so.
I’ll add comments with the time the problems occur, starting with a ‘new’ one.

11:09 uk time (GMT+1) -app totally froze up and had to quit and restart.

1 Like

I tried uninstalling Roon from my iPhone and reinstall. No luck. Still crashed. But then I powered down my iPhone and powered it back up. It fixed the issue. No more crashes.

1 Like

It’ll come back

Roon Core Machine

Roon Server
Mac Mini
M1
8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquity Amplifi Alien
Wi-Fi

Connected Audio Devices

Lumin U1 Mini —>bnc/chord qutest —RCA/Freya pre/XLR —stark amp
Volumio Primo —>Bifrost 2—xlr/Freya

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I think this issue has been reported as naseum but the parade of Roon remote crashes is endless.

Remove/reinstall/reboot - nothing reliably resolves the issue for longer than a few days. Rebooting server? Nope no dice. Rebuilding server - nada. Wipe and rebuild iPhone. Negative. No combination of any typical prescriptions end the torture.

It’s beyond frustrating and honestly is such a regular occurrence across so many different versions it’s tough to comprehend.

iOS 15.4
iPhone 12 max

I have also tried:
Not opting for my preferred dark mode
Leaving everything default after install
Not moving the Roon remote icon from where it lands after initial install (odd I know but thought I might be on to something till I wasn’t)

Sorry - I am multi year but new to submitting anything support related (so please don’t bash me if this is the 50th such post). Happy to provide log data if helpful (but find no easy manner to upload)

I really love the app but this constant instability is maddening and seriously detracts from its otherwise brilliance.

Thanks,
R

3 Likes

Hey @roy_langford, iOS stability was significantly improved in Build 918. Take the update and let us know if you’re still seeing crashes (and if so, where/when they happened). Thanks!

1 Like

918 started my iOS crashes. And I mean not one or two. But you can’t use the app. 10 sec and it’s gone.

2 Likes

The 918 release is plagued with issues. iOS app issue totally unacceptable

1 Like

Hi @roy_langford ,

It doesn’t look like your iOS device is communicating with our diagnostics servers properly, can you please toggle Save logs to Files on next startup from your iOS Settings, reproduce the crash and submit a manual log set for review?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Please let us know after log files have been uploaded, thanks!

I am almost reluctant to report any alleviation of these crashes since they nearly always come back (and when they do they’re vengeful).

However with the latest update to 918 I have not had any crashes. Unfortunately I can’t locate my prior logging - if it mattered —this many days later.

I suppose the frustrating thing for Roon users continues to be any immediate fix ends up not truly being stable across their user base. I have had the same problem since the outset - for years. That such a fundamental problem should continue to persist as among the most consistently reported issues in your forums is concerning. It’s akin to a piece of hardware switching off on its own all of the time —and certainly no one would tolerate that occurring.

…and yet despite this dogged problem I have continued to pour money into the product because on a good day -when it’s all working - there is nothing that comes close to competing with it.

I want nothing more than for this product to succeed. However, being able to listen to music supersedes my desire for this product to succeed and therefore I find myself increasingly —however imperfect the interface might be - using the native Lumin app - which never has issues.

Even Volumio with its fiddly open source nature is more stable for longer periods than Roon.

Thanks for listening,
R

Despite my statement just a day ago - as if like clockwork - 923 has reintroduced my instability and stage. The crashes are back - and so bad there’s barely an opportunity to click on anything.

I uploaded two separate logs from today (for all the good it will do).

So incredibly frustrating.

Back to Lumin until I can hear what more Roon has done to “fix” or “much improve”

What a poor experience.

They are uploaded. 923 is a disaster.

Roy,

I used to have my share of iOS crashes but now it seems fine. Can you detail your network structure please? All my problems were network related and never thought a single minute that was. Stay tuned!

Have to agree with @roy_langford on this one. It crashes within 30 seconds of using the app while browsing through any arbitrary screen.

What specific network info do you need?

Amplifi alien + 1 mesh
Wifi (mixed)
M1 Mac mini (core)
IPv4 (6 is disabled)
Qnap NAS for local files and backup
No separate hardware firewall

I used to run a NUC (rock) but anecdotally it seemed to run less stable so I switched to Mac mini. The instability is so dogged it drives one ultimately to just try anything. I kicked the Nuc down to secondary Volumio node duty and shocker - it really never has issues.

My network is really pretty basic and while I like the Amplifi solution it’s UI is not especially powerful. In other words, there is a not a ton of user control on offer sufficient to implement any especially more sophisticated setup.

Same issues here. Latest core, latest iOS app, latest version of iOS on a 12 Pro. The Roon iOS app crashes in less than 5 seconds every time I try to use it.

Please set different SSID (name) for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Reboot the iOS device and try each band individually. See if one works better than the other.

If neither band works good enough, turn off the additional mesh temporarily and retry both bands.

Also try an Android device.

1 Like

I have moved to a dedicated M1 Mac Mini connected directly to router and have been without crashes for several days. Sadly right when I was started to grow accustomed to Roon not crashing inside of 30 seconds - the crashing has returned.

Nothing - no combination of miracles ever truly resolves this hideous instability. I will upload logs again for all the good it will do.

At this point the instability is comically bad. It feels as if Roon just want to punish and drive away iPhone users.

The guy from lumin adds in his final suggestion “use android device.” This entirely defeats the point and I countless users are making.

I’m not saying Android is better and I’m not telling people to use it.

My philosophy in problem diagnosis is to try everything, thereby gradually narrowing down the culprit.

If both iOS and Android apps crash in the same way, it may be your network or Core. In this case, the next step is to use a wired client (with some hassle even iPad can be wired), if on a wired network it does not crash you’ll know it’s the WiFi. Alternatively, move the Core to Windows.

Anyway, if my offering of suggestions is not appreciated I’ll amicably leave this thread.

1 Like

I have done nearly everything there is to do (including as you mention having a windows core). In the case of the mini it’s literally brand new with nothing else running on it. I removed everything there is to remove.

I appreciate the feedback but the key feedback I want - we all want - is feedback from Roon. This is a remarkably tedious way to obtain support.

Getting something like this to just simply run in a stable manner on about as common a mobile device as exists on planet earth should be the entry level - base requirement for such solutions.

I uploaded logs but for what? Is anyone analyzing them and offering feedback against what they found? Nope. All I continue to get is anecdotal try this and try that. It’s fumbling and non specific and painfully ineffective.

1 Like