Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-link Deco P9 mesh network-core hard wired and CXN v2 wired to node

Connected Audio Devices

CXN v2

Number of Tracks in Library

45k or so

Description of Issue

Hi.
Just hit the update all button and my iOS remote crashes repeatedly after 10 or so seconds. I was navigating playlists when it crashed. In some cases it opened in the same spot.
iPhone 8plus 256gb iOS 15.5

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Still crashing after around 10 seconds, this time whilst browsing my play history-when restarting jumps back to top of history, and crashes again after about 10 seconds.
Most frustrating-is it just me?

It’s actually weirder than I thought. The app isn’t crashing, it’s going into the background as if I have pressed the home button.
A double tap reveals Roon is still open, but with a blank screen as the image, and selecting it opens the last screen from a blank screen.
Weird!

Best to report under the 952 feedback thread - Others having the same issue. Like me.

2 Likes

Supposedly you have tried uninstalling the app, rebooting, then reinstalling it again?
And another tip which usually fixes iPad OS curiosities is to reset network settings!

(Make sure you don’t do any weird stuff, like backing up the settings to iCloud or so…)

Try this one also, it was new to me:

1 Like

I just tried this, it seems to simply default the Roon remote.

FYI… Build 952 has introduced a number of issues for people, just refer to the build feedback thread.

1 Like

Not objecting, just suggesting some potential fixes for OP. :slight_smile:

Edit: I also tried the “Reset Roon Remote on next startup”, with major failure as a result. It only showed a black screen, no nothing.
Had to remove and then reinstall the app…
Now i’m down from 10,5Gb of settings and other items to what seem more reasonable 111Kb??? It’ll creep back up though, no doubt!

2 Likes

I’m also experiencing frequent (constant) problems using iPhone app (version 952 running on iOS 15.5). They are: 1) Music plays for 10 secs then app disappears from home screen; 2) when I check app is still running but my phone is no longer available as an Audio output 3) closing and restarting the app just restarts 1 & 2 above.

This isn’t new, seems to be happening through the last few ( too frequent) Roon app updates.

What’s up people?

Back when I became a lifetime member a few years back app updates were few and far between and they appeared to be bug free at least for my setup (Nucleus+ running over mostly wired network) but now I get updates every month or so and the bugs are still there. Maybe less is better?

1 Like

@support any chance of feedback or a fix? The issue is still present.

Hey @Michael_Dollan,

Ben here with the support team, my apologies for the delayed response. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

I’m sorry to hear you’re running into issues with your Roon Remote crashing, it can be incredibly frustrating having this happen in the middle of listening to music. Let’s dig into this a bit deeper:

1. Does the crash stop playback, or does playback continue after crashing?
  2. Does this happen when listening to local files only? Or, does it happen when streaming from Qobuz?
  3. Does Roon crash immediately, or does the app freeze prior to crashing? Does it happen when a performing a specific function, like scrolling new releases, albums, etc? Or only when navigating playlists?

As a first step, please uninstall the Roon remote app, turn off your mobile device, restart the device and re-install Roon.

Let me know if your issue persists after this, I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

1 Like

Hi @benjamin, thanks for the response.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled-and the problem persists. Playback continues when the remote ‘crashes’. Playback is Tidal, but may include local files in Roon radio possibly.

It ‘crashes’ after a short period of time, though this time has increased since I first reported the issue. Initially it ‘crashed after 10 seconds or so, so perhaps enough time to select something-more recently it’s more like 90 seconds, so enough time to read part of an info section!

When it ‘crashes’ it appears to close, it doesn’t freeze beforehand It looks like any other app crash, going back to my Home Screen-however a double tap of the home button still shows it running in the background with a black screen-selecting it reopens as if a first open (black screen, then white screen with the Roon jellyfish) and then it opens the previous screen-ish, eg if reading an artist/album info tab it will open that artist/album, but on the default screen, rather than the info tab.

Finally, it may be worth noting it only ‘crashes’ when in the foreground - if I exit before it crashes it seems to be stable, and works on next use (with the crash imminent on reopening!). I have not experimented whilst using the iPhone as an end point, though another user above has.

Fingers crossed you can help as it’s causing me not to have access to one of Roon’s top features, the meta-data. I just don’t get long enough to read it!

Best wishes,

Michael

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Dollan,

Thanks for following up and letting me know! Could you share a timestamp when you get the issue to recur?

After digging into your account further, the issue you’re experiencing is a more widespread issue that we are currently tracking and working on a fix. The good news here is that we have a solution we’re implementing soon! You can check this thread for updates.

If you’d like, we can look into making a backend settings change to your account to potentially improve behavior in the meantime. We’ve seen it help with users running into the same issue on iOS and Apple devices. Let me know if this is something you’d like us to do :pray:

Thanks, Michael!

Hi @Benjamin-thanks for looking into this. If there is anything you can change your end, please feel free to do so.
I’ll add comments with the time the problems occur, starting with a ‘new’ one.

11:09 uk time (GMT+1) -app totally froze up and had to quit and restart.

1 Like

I tried uninstalling Roon from my iPhone and reinstall. No luck. Still crashed. But then I powered down my iPhone and powered it back up. It fixed the issue. No more crashes.

1 Like

It’ll come back

Roon Core Machine

Roon Server
Mac Mini
M1
8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquity Amplifi Alien
Wi-Fi

Connected Audio Devices

Lumin U1 Mini —>bnc/chord qutest —RCA/Freya pre/XLR —stark amp
Volumio Primo —>Bifrost 2—xlr/Freya

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I think this issue has been reported as naseum but the parade of Roon remote crashes is endless.

Remove/reinstall/reboot - nothing reliably resolves the issue for longer than a few days. Rebooting server? Nope no dice. Rebuilding server - nada. Wipe and rebuild iPhone. Negative. No combination of any typical prescriptions end the torture.

It’s beyond frustrating and honestly is such a regular occurrence across so many different versions it’s tough to comprehend.

iOS 15.4
iPhone 12 max

I have also tried:
Not opting for my preferred dark mode
Leaving everything default after install
Not moving the Roon remote icon from where it lands after initial install (odd I know but thought I might be on to something till I wasn’t)

Sorry - I am multi year but new to submitting anything support related (so please don’t bash me if this is the 50th such post). Happy to provide log data if helpful (but find no easy manner to upload)

I really love the app but this constant instability is maddening and seriously detracts from its otherwise brilliance.

Thanks,
R

3 Likes

Hey @roy_langford, iOS stability was significantly improved in Build 918. Take the update and let us know if you’re still seeing crashes (and if so, where/when they happened). Thanks!

1 Like

918 started my iOS crashes. And I mean not one or two. But you can’t use the app. 10 sec and it’s gone.

2 Likes

The 918 release is plagued with issues. iOS app issue totally unacceptable

1 Like

Hi @roy_langford ,

It doesn’t look like your iOS device is communicating with our diagnostics servers properly, can you please toggle Save logs to Files on next startup from your iOS Settings, reproduce the crash and submit a manual log set for review?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Please let us know after log files have been uploaded, thanks!