iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

I have exactly the same issue but for me it happens also in the iPad, not only in the iPhone.

I tried same things you did (rebooting, reinstalling) but app still crashes a few seconds after it is started.

I also have no problem with other endpoints or remotes that are not iOS.

See my report here:

If you do not have these cables in, does the phone crash?

Affirmative, the roon remote app without anything plugged in the iphone and without any action performed, crashes 100% of the times few seconds after launched.

Thanks. Did you receive any solution?

Hi guys,

Iā€™m just another user here but I get the same issues frequently and Iā€™m just wondering/interested in how many Safari windows you have open and how many apps are running in the background.

Just wondering if there is a correlation here as my iPadOS/iOS Roon app sometimes appear more stable when there are a minimum of Safari windows or apps running.

Hey Mark, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a correlation. I have max 2 tabs open, but mostly just the one. Iā€™m getting frequent crashes. Has been happening with many releases now.

These support threads are usually marked as resolved / closed. Typically a reboot (or an entire ios reset) could be used as a temporary workaround. Support seems to consider this as ā€˜resolvedā€™ but I certainly donā€™t.

1 Like

Hi Bart

There goes that theory then :grin:

Yeah, I usually close all apps and do a force restart and that seems to help for a bit (or not)

Turning the phone on and off should cover for the case of many apps in background interfering. But in my case and seems like the OP is same, it doesnā€™t help.

It looks like in your case the crashes are intermittent? In my case those are 100% of the times. Itā€™s really unusable.

IOS crashes constantly on my iPhone just scrolling around. I donā€™t even need to listen to music. I have an iPhone 13 Pro. Even the newest Roon version didnā€™t fix it.

Hi @Benjamin_Esquivel

Welcome to Roon Community, and I appreciate you bringing this problem to our attention. Weā€™re sorry to hear that youā€™re experiencing crashes on iOS.

The tech support team will be able to pinpoint the issue most efficiently if we can inspect logs from the crashing iOS remotes. Weā€™ll investigate those and follow up with additional questions. Please follow the steps below:

• On the iOS device(s):
  • Quit Roon
  • Go to System Settings on your iPad/iPhone
  • Scroll down until you see Roon
  • Tap on it
  • Turn on ā€œSave logs to Files on next start upā€ see screenshot below

• Launch Roon (replicate crash)
  • Open Files app on your device
  • Go to ā€œOn this iPad/iPhoneā€
  • There will be a Roon folder and inside of it there will be a tgz file (see screenshot below)
  • Upload the tgz file from your iPhone and iPad here.

Hey Connor, Iā€™ve uploaded the file to the specified location.

My iPad app is not crashing anymore with update 943 so thatā€™s good. It was crashing before this version and it was at the device selection interface where it would just hang trying to select this device. Maybe timing out? anyways, the iPad in 943 is now stable but the iPhone in 943 is still unusable. For what is worth, I did experience the device selection issue prior to 943 in the iPhone but now device selection is not an issue while crashing continues to be a problem.

Also thereā€™s a couple of other users that reported this exact same issue recently in this other thread.

Finally, thanks for following up on my case. Let me know if thereā€™s anything else you need from me.

itā€™s work in progress, you might want to check that thread too, it seems like it got some attention. Iā€™ve redirected them to this thread to look for the other users that have reported the same behavior that you and I are seeing.

If reinstalling the app is not fixing it and if more than 1 user is experiencing that then it is likely they will need to address our issue via an app update.

By the way, Iā€™ve updated my thread that my iPad is no longer crashing after the 943 app update so thatā€™s what Iā€™m using as a driver now. Iā€™m guessing your iPad is still fine?

Thanks Benjamin. IĀ“m receiving the posts from your thread.
I will check about the last update once I get home.
Best
Felipe

Hi everyone,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and for the details youā€™ve provided us with so far. Iā€™ve consolidated the multiple threads related to this iOS crash into one, and my team will provide updates and request additional details in this chain moving forward.

I appreciate your continued patience as we investigate the issue. I know itā€™s frustrating to have an unusable endpoint in your setup.

@Benjamin_Esquivel, thank you for providing iOS logs for deeper insight into the crash, and @Felipe_Correa, I appreciate the detail in your description.

@oneofmany, @Nepherte, and @Marco_Gymnopoulos, if you also have a moment to provide your setup and network details, it will greatly increase the support teamā€™s efficiency as we narrow down the problem. Iā€™ve included a template below you can use if youā€™re willing. Thank you!

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices youā€™re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. ā€œ30,000 tracksā€

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+

Roon Remotes

1x Apple Macbook Pro 14" on macOS 12.3.1 (wired and wireless ethernet)
1x Apple iPad Mini 6 on ipadOS 15.4.1 (wireless ethernet)
1x Apple iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 15.4.1 (wireless ethenet)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: 1x Ubiquiti UniFi USG-3P
Switches: 3x Ubiquiti UniFi US-8-60W
Access points: 1x Ubiquiti UniFi LR-6R

Connected Audio Devices

Mola Mola Tambaqui (wired ethernet)

Number of Tracks in Library

2,298 tracks / 178 albums

Description of Issue

The Roon app on the iPhone (and not the iPad) crashes quickly after opening. It is easily triggered by scrolling down quickly in e.g. the Albums or Tracks page. A reboot of the phone helps temporarily, only for the issue to appear after an unspecified time. All other devices work as expected.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine:

SonicTransporter i5 on 1.8 firmware

iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15.4.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details:

Netgear Nighthawk RAX78 Firmware: 1.0.12.114
Router via ethernet connected to Sonic Transporter i5
Router connected to wifi Zen stream via Wifi (latest firmware)

Connected Audio Devices:

ifi Zen stream via USB to Rotel A14 MKII (both Roon ready)

Number of Tracks in Library:

173 albums with 4053 tracks

As mentioned by others a reboot fixes the issue temporarily.

1 Like

Whatā€™s up? Just to let you know that I continue to see the issue as described with just a couple of variations in the time it takes to crash. I think I saw the app once surviving an entire song. Other than that, I have been using my desktop app instead.

Same here. Iā€™m hoping this is not going to be one of those things that drags on for months. @support

@support any news on this case?

Same here. No changes at all. Continue to be a nightmare using the Iphone to select music or read the info. Just impossible to use it as an endpoint. Forced to use other devices. I hope this cam be solved soon.

1 Like