iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

Yes, consistent failures here too with my Dragonfly Black 1.5 connected to my iPhone 13 Pro max via lightning to USB A female adapter.

Edit: I uploaded the log files from my iPhone to the specified upload folder.

The crashes started again today while being away for a long time. After 10s or so Roon crashes on my iPhone Xs.

Roon core and remote are build 970.

iOS 15.5.

TP-Link Deco M9 mesh network.

It started after I fast tapped next track six times (give or take) from the now playing screen.

A reboot fixed it for now.

@support I exported the logs when it happened. Can I send them to you?

Just had a crash and subsequent crashes shortly after launching the app. Came out of the blue. No changes to the phone or any app. No VPN. Haven’t had a crash in over a month. Now every time. Logs uploaded.

Here is why I am dubious of this theory. I have a spare iPhone. I grabbed it and fired up Roon. No crashes. Interesting. I then took a gander at the VPN config. Now if this is not a worse case scenario for the theory that even a single inactive vpn configuration poses issues I don’t know what it is
I attach screenshot that reveals no less than six profiles. And yet I am using the device without issue for Roon.

Sadly this device isn’t the one I always have on me and at some point is my guess if anything changes on the device or maybe even if it doesn’t - it’ll start crashing as well.

Sorry Roon - I am not thinking you’re on to something unless there’s something that just happens to skirt your logic in this litany of configurations on my spare iPhone.

Crashing is back
 I had that problem with the RoonOnNAS on my QNAP where the local music can’t be found and I had to clean the library and set up again from a backup. Now iPhone is crashing again, takes a bit longer than before, ca. 10 sec. And no, I have no VPN-Profiles and never had

How very annoying. iPad is not crashing, for whatever reason
???

But wait, restart of the iPhone helped. Crashing gone

You’re barking up the wrong tree. My iPhone app crashes sporadically and I do not use VPN.

Roon core

Synology 218+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

The Roon app crashes every 20 of 30 seconds on iPhone 13 iOS 15.5

I know it’s not much help, but it works fine on mine! You could try deleting the app, and re-installing.

Mine too - just started to appear yesterday. App re-install does not solve the issue. Currently useless app on iPhone mini 13.

This issue seems to have been going on for years. It is probably like whack-a-mole for the Roon team on figuring it out, because patches have taken care of the issue in the past
only to pop up on other people’s phones, such as yours.

The only way I can alleviate the crashing (when it happens to me over the past years) is a phone reboot. It is a temporary fix, but it can relieve the issue for days to weeks to months. I just never can tell.

3 Likes

Exactly my experience

Roon support used to have test groups a year or so ago to collect data from users. There are also a few open support threads and likely a TON of closed support threads over this issue. It is well known. Good luck to everyone who gets their issue figured out, but I must warn that it is likely temporary. Since some users don’t have the issue, it might be some interaction with an app on our phones that other non-affected users don’t have.

Hello,
My Roon 1.8 build 970 application crashes continuously a few seconds after starting on an iPhone 13 iOS 15.5. I tried restarting the phone, deleting then reinstalling the Roon app and restarting the Roon server with no improvement. This problem has always been recurring before on an iPhone XS I noticed the same problem whatever the version of Roon and it frankly spoils the pleasure of using Roon that we pay very much for every year.
do you have a solution for me please?
Thank you very much.

1 Like

What’s not working : Roon app crash
How often the issue occurs : every time I start the app

Describe Your Setup

• Details on your Core machine : NUC i5 8GB / RoonOs 1.0 build 227
  • Details on your Remote(s) : iPhone 13 / iOS 15.5 / Roon 1.8 build 970
  • Networking details : NUC i5 RJ45 => Switch RJ45 => Internet Box Wifi => Roon app
  • Audio devices in use : LUMIN D2 RJ45 => Switch
  • Library details : Music 50.000 tracks stored on NAS Synology RJ45 => Switch

Brand and model?

Also, do you happen to have any VPN or Firewall apps on the iPad? Uninstall (not just disable) them.

Modem fiber Sagemcom (Orange Livebox 5).

No vpn no firewall on my iPhone.

I had the opportunity to change modem and phone during the year and the crash problem is still there regularly.

I have already uninstalled then reinstalled the Roon app, restarted the roon software server without effect.

Hi Cedric,
I had the same problem, which I may have fixed by doing the following:
Soft reboot on the phone.
Switch back on
Delete the Roon app
Reinstall the Roon app.

When I deleted the app without an iPhone reboot, it didn’t fix the problem.

All working so far. Good luck, Jon

2 Likes

thank you.

I will try in this order. do you know if this solution is permanent because I have this problem of the app crashing frequently for several months depending on the periods and whatever the update Roon versions.

48 hours without a problem.