iPad12.9 Roon Remote Issue

Here we go again. @dylan @noris. Issue occurred between 7:45 to 8:00 AM on Jan 23 2020.

Had the kitchen zone playing with the IPAD on the queue screen.

Decided to start Roon on the PC in the bedroom so I could group the zones.

Usually, Roon on the PC pops right up with the Overview screen ready to go, but this time the Roon ICON stayed in the middle of the Roon screen on the PC for longer than usual, maybe 20 to 30 seconds. I did not see any indication it was waiting for the Core. When the overview screen did appear on the PC the display was normal, the forward direction button was there as usual. The zone that appeared on the PC screen was for the PC zone and not grouped with any other zones. I suspected the issue had occurred on the IPAD and didn’t touch anything on the PC.

Went to the living room and found the IPAD in the blank screen condition, as suspected, with the MENU/Bookmark/Search options at the top, no direction arrows, and the progress bar at the bottom.

This time, instead of hitting the queue button on the IPAD, I used the MENU to select Overview. Overview screen did appear but without any direction buttons. Just like it did with the Queue screen.

The first time this issue happened I was controlling Roon with the IPAD and it was on the queue screen. I touched the Roon App on the PC to enlarge the screen, and the problem occurred on the IPAD.

This time, 4th instance, I was controlling Roon with the IPAD and it was on the queue screen. I started Roon on the PC and the problem occurred on the IPAD.

The 3rd time this happened I was controlling Roon from the IPAD and it was on the queue screen. I beleive I was using the Roon search facitily on the PC just before I found the issue had occurred again on the IPAD.

I suspect it was a similar situation on the 2nd occurrence but can’t say for sure.

This does seems to be a pattern.

Roon is still up on the PC and IPAD if you think the logs will have any information.

Update: FYI. Last year, when I first started the trial for Roon, the core/server was running on my PC. I got the NUC8I7BEH, disconnected the Core on the PC and Connected to the NUC/ROCK. I used the PC as an Endpoint/controller after that but I did not make any changes to the Roon software that was originally installed on the PC. Nothing changed there except for Roon upgrades.

Edit: It does look normal, without deleting and reinstalling the app, if you select Menu/Overview first after the issue occurs. That makes Overview the first page again (no back button).

Another edit, new information. Selecting Menu/Overview following the “blank screen condition” is not the workaround I was hoping for. Overview is not fully functional in this instance. I ripped a new cd and waited for the Album to appear in the Recently Added display. It did not show up. The rip had completed successfully, the cd had been ejected from the drive, and the album did appear as the first entry in the View All display. This is the first time a new Add To Library or Rip has not shown up in Recently Added display.

I deleted Roon Remote from the IPAD and reinstalled.

Also found another reference to a similar situation on another topic. Apparently others have had the issue but not reported it.

See Kyle_Kerley post in Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

There were followups to his post there including mine.