Is anyone else suddenly experiencing dropouts and halts

aha. More well written instructions. Once I read “using a windows computer” i skipped the rest.
I do see it.

Appreciate your following up.

This is so simple - access the storage remotely, which i do all the time.

Will get to this later.

Ok all. First a scond round of thanks.

I have the logs (all 145MB of them!) on my hard drive, and have created a zip file of the mass.

off topic but curious - why the instructions to shut down the server. I just copied while listening. no fuss, no muss.

Where do i send these?

I may hold off until i try a few things. for example, last night and this morning i restarted my ROCK core twice just so that it would run and journal changes-- hopefully eliminating any corruption or lost data from, say, power-loss offs.

TIA,

G

Because the system is writing to the logs all the time, is my guess. Stop the server to stop the file being written to, to prevent a messed up file.

To whom do i send the files (logs)?

Question for @support

Just want to point out I’m having very similar problems, higher spec, new build ROCK.

Hi @Just_Me,

You can send us logs here: https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/5dHjIc9hQxh-LVTzf

First, please reproduce the issue and let us know what time you see the problem occur and what track you experience it with. Our team will then take a look at this instance in the logs and we’ll follow up with our feedback on what we are seeing.

Please note that the team’s queue is a bit longer than usual due to the holidays, but we’ll get back to you with feedback as soon as we can!

Dylan – Logs are uploaded.

I can’t reproduce it at will, and I can’t write down the times – when it misbehaves it is a constant, but random set of halts. Then typically it restarts – after a vary-ing length of time. Sometimes it simple stops and goes to “pause”, or stops, permanently at the end of a track rather than moving on to the next or to Roon radio. Backing up and restarting the track and it will continue.

I have vastly reduced the problem but can’ for suer say whether it was:

 Several controlled restarts, the intent being to fix any index corruption and journal correct data
 Restarted all routers (but they work great with much higher loads like video)
 Ungrouped my 4 zones so that
o Lower processor and network load on the ROCK
o Fewer endpoints to have issues. My Fire tab is a piece of crap and does cause some halts

On a related topic – if I want to cleanly reinstall is it as simple as re-installing from the web GUI and then restoring my settings/database (which is small) from my backup? No fuss, no muss?

TIA, have a great holiday. No rush and i’ll continue some experiments.

Grant

Different hardware but I’ve started having dropouts on devices wired and wireless since the last core update.

If you are experiencing these dropouts and are using either a DHCP address or a reserved IP address configured through the DHCP server interface on your router it would be worth trying with a fully static IP address.

So, I’ve always wanted to do this, but my cable provider (Comcast / Xfinity) doesn’t offer Static IPs unless I order business service, and I’m not doing that due to expense. Does it help to get anything else? I can’t imagine it helps, but like DDNS? Any other options?

I use static IP addresses with Xfinity. What I did was connect my own router via ethernet cable directly to the the Xfinity router and then set the Xfinity router to run in Bridge Mode. Once I did that, I could fully manage my local subnet using my own router which allows me to use static IP addresses, control device access via MAC addresses and more. The downside is you’ll have to give up using the Xfinity app, as it does nothing when you are in bridge mode.

Even more radically, ditch the can-of-worms Xfinity router, saving the rental fee, and get a compatible cable modem, I use this https://motorolanetwork.com/mb8600.html. Very simple to set up, then plug in your own router.

So I already have my own modem (Cm600), and I’m running into my Unifi USG (getting a UDM pro soon). How do I set a static IP? If I try to keep my existing IP by fixing it in the modem, does that work? What do I need to do?

Thanks for any advice @Fernando_Pereira @Christian_Schock

At this location, I have an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter that gives easy Web access to DHCP leases, dynamic and static. At my other location I have an UDM connected to a local fiber network provider. One complaint about the UniFi software is that it did offer convenient access to DHCP. So far I’ve not had any issues with its dynamic leases, even though my Roon network there depends on WiFi, unlike here. But I just did a Web search and found a help page on how to set static IPs on USG/UDM: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023759313-UniFi-UDM-USG-Assigning-a-Fixed-IP-to-a-Client-using-DHCP

Wait sorry, I’m getting confused.

@Robem are you suggesting that I have a fixed IP address for my ROCK on the 192.168.xx.xx range (I already do and have since I built it, as I do for all server like things on my network that I might ever want to reach via typed in IP address), or are you suggesting that I should get a fixed IP address from xfinity/Comcast (which I don’t think is possible unless I get business service, which is quite expensive and I don’t want, especially not to make a single application work, even if it’s an application I like a great deal). Thanks!

I’m sure he means from your own router, you absolutely don’t want your core outside the NAT & firewall provided by your router. If you have set a fixed 192.186.xx.yy IP for your ROCK on your router, that’s it.

My isp gives me a fixed IP address but I also use internally reserved DHCP addresses for all my fixed machines like servers nas etc about the only things that change are phones and tablets. Even my laptop gets a fixed IP address in the house.

I shouldn’t make any difference what dns settings you your isp gives if you want to set your roon core to a fixed or assigned address you can specify a specific DNS server too, but remember to include a local router one too. You can add more than one dns entry, even 3 is possible on rock/nucleus.

@Johnny_Ooooops yes, I was suggesting that you ensure to use a static private IP address. 192.168.x.x would be one of those ranges.

@wizardofoz reserved IP addresses were the source of my pain with Ubuntu as the core still made DHCP requests to the router on a regular basis. Once I stopped using a reserved address and went fully static (no DHCP polling at all) the server stabilized. I was experiencing crashes of the Roon processes which were detailed in the logs as having memory segment errors along with a restart of NetworkManager.