Issue with Connecting Roon Client to Roon Server on Mac Devices (ref#HR1BM8)

Robert,

So sorry you’re having this trouble. But I (and others here, I’m sure) do feel it can be sorted out.

which suggests to me that your removal of the client to a second machine may indeed have nothing to do with what’s going on. You may simply be transferring a fault at the root of all this from one configuration to anther.

Finding out why you…

Is key, I think. Roon is designed to work - and 99% (?) of the time just does work as planned.

It makes me think something was amiss with that original setup.

(I can understand your frustration here: all you want to do is listen, I know!)

this also stands out (for me): it shouldn’t be necessary.

Additionally, something may also be confusing the Roon installation you now have because when you:

there did seem to be something amiss that wasn’t fixed, didn’t there.

The other thing which I note - and it may be just what you want is that from this screen grab you are asking Roon to watch for, import and run your Library in a folder that’s deep inside a hierarchy inside a subdirectory of iTunes. I suppose it could even be that both iTunes and Roon are trying to scan and update files in what seems to me (I’m ready to be corrected) an unconventional location.

Very welcome, Robert; we’re all here to help one another.

I bet you are. Who wouldn’t be. I’m also a lifer and I’d be as distressed as you must be facing this.

Can we assume from the reference # in this thread’s title that you took this route?

If so, then someone from support ought to be along soon to assist further.

In the meantime, if you have the stamina (:frowning: ), I’d suggest a fresh start:

1. make precise copies of every file which possibly relates to Roon, its software, files, database; and your music Library - ideally ‘offsite’, on a thumb drive and/or reliable external hard drive; the most crucial here is your music library - obviously. Make sure you remove what I think may be two locations where Roon is installed. The Roon database would normally be essential as it contains all your settings etc. But in this case it may be that very part of the setup which is causing this to be happening. But save it anyway. In any and all cases ensure that every music file is also saved and preserved - in at least two locations
  2. disconnect from the server (if you can get to it)
  3. delete all Roon executable files, so as also to remove (or better still archive for a second time) all dependent files
  4. decide on the location where you want your Library to be. Make a note of it. It needn’t be inside your iTunes folder, unless you want to combine your iTunes library with your own files.
  5. perform a fresh install of Roon in one location only; and be ready to de-/re-authorise it when asked; this thread may (also) be relevant and help
  6. in Roon’s Setting > Storage > Folders select the folder which contains your music library

Report back. Good luck!

I’d wait a day or two to see whether anyone with an insight greater than mine can see another, better, simpler path.

1 Like