I am also having issues with slow search sporadically. When having the issue search times run on the order of 15 to 30 seconds or more at times.
I’m running Roon server on a Windows server 2012 Essentials 64 bit VM on VMWare 6.5 on a dual processor Intel Xeon E5 2620 (24 cores total) running on an Intel S2600CP server backplane with 64G of ram. There are 8 cores and 20G of ram allocated to the Roon VM and it has 10TB of hardware RAID-5 storage which is where my media content and Roon database is located. There is no other significant utilization on the server.
I am controlling the server with Roon running on an Intel NUC Core I7 8559U with 16G of ram. This is playing to a PSAudio Directstream DAC as a roon endpoint from the server through the network bridge.
All connections are over 1Gb Wired connection using cat 5e.
My Internet connection is 200Mb down 40Mb up from optonline.net. My router is a Ubiquiti Security Gateway. That is connected to a Cisco Catalyst 2975 switch acting as the core for my wired network. From there the signal travels (wired) to my media center that uses a Dlink DGS-1024D switch to connect my various media equipment (TV, Receiver, DAC, Compiter, xbox, playstation, Cable box, etc) to the network.
When I have these problems, typically, the only devices that are active on the network are the TV, Receiver, Nuc, and the server of course. When the problem happened this evening, it lasted for 2 - 5 minutes. I got a little fed-up and minimized the Roon software running on the Nuc while it searched.
I read a few e-mails and returned to Roon. I’m not sure how long it actually took to render the result but it did eventually do so. The next few searches I did after that went fine, max 2 seconds to return results.
I would be happy to help out in troubleshooting this issue if needed, just let me know how I can help.