Laptop not Core anymore ... unable to use it as a Playback device

This is my screen shot, I appear to have 2.
Should I set them both to private?

Ok so in a post above someone said to disable my windows defender. I have done this and the PC and a host of other things are now there.
However I cant leave this off indefinitely. How do I solve this?

2 Likes

Right so this tells us that indeed there is something wrong with the setup of Windows Defender Firewall for Roon. You need to have RAATserver enabled for access on your local home network (ā€œprivateā€). Your screenshot shows that RAATserver is enabled for access over the Internet (ā€œpublicā€), however, the rule for the raatserver.exe entry for your private network is actually unchecked. So then the Nucleus wonā€™t see your endpoints on your laptop.

Enable your Windows Defender again. Then try enabling that unchecked rule for raatserver.exe that has ā€œprivateā€ enabled (the first entry in the list). See what that doesā€¦

1 Like

Tried this and the Burson disappears again

This was posted above ā€¦I will try this now.

OK so tried all of the above and the Burson still cant be found.
I could not find Roonserver in my settings but the other two Roon and RAATserver I have checked as exceptions but it makes no difference.

So the only way to find the Burson is to disable the Windows Defender. Not really a satisfactory option.

I have two Roon entries on app section of the exceptions page and three RAATserver entriesā€¦could this be causing a conflict?

You wonā€™t have roonserver in your list, because you havenā€™t installed the Roon Server software package - you have installed Roon (which contains raatserver.exe and roon.exe).

It may be that having wound up with multiple entries for raatserver.exe, Defender is getting confused. First thing to try is to make sure that all the entries have ā€œprivateā€ checked. If that is the case, and still no joy, then I think the next step is to remove the raatserver.exe entries from the list, and then explicitly add a new entry for raatserver.exe in the list.

I have to go to a meeting now, but Iā€™ll come back laterā€¦

1 Like

I tried the above but still no joy.
So I deleted all of the rattserver.exe entries bar one and made sure it was set to private.
This worked. Geoff thanks again for all your help , and to everyone else who contributed.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Roon sounds so much better than the Tidal app. Why is this?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.